GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
For me it isnt so much who it is, its the scenario that pisses me off. Pens are/were the oldest team in the league with little cap space. "We need younger, cheaper guys who can contribute." One finally shows he could be capable, and 6 months later hes on the verge of potentially being given away.

Also, 5 years later Poulin finally shows production at the pro level, and hes in the same boat. He might be a bust, but if we used a 1st on him, why not give him a legit shot for 10-15 games to at least let the kid sink or swim?

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
His shooting % last year was 5.8 when his WBS average was 11.6 on average. Know its a big if. But if he can figure out how to score at a similar rate in the NHL he would have had 10 goals and 15 assist last year in 52 games. That's not a bad pace for a 24 year old rookie. That was spending most of his time on third line with Eller.
That's because his shot is slow.

He needs space and time to get off a shot, and he's not getting that in the NHL. Maybe he figures out a way to speed up his release, but this is a pretty common issue that separates fringe NHL players from guys who can stick.

Reactions: Al Smith

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For me it isnt so much who it is, its the scenario that pisses me off. Pens are/were the oldest team in the league with little cap space. "We need younger, cheaper guys who can contribute." One finally shows he could be capable, and 6 months later hes on the verge of potentially being given away.

Also, 5 years later Poulin finally shows production at the pro level, and hes in the same boat. He might be a bust, but if we used a 1st on him, why not give him a legit shot for 10-15 games to at least let the kid sink or swim?

The Penguins are literally not giving Puustinen away. People are making up a scenario to complain about.

The only guys who's a threat of being put on waivers is Poulin, who's probably not getting claimed like most other guys on waivers.

Unless either McGroarty or Ponomarev lights it up in camp, they're probably starting with something very close to:

Beauvillier/DOC-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC/Beauvillier-Eller-Glass
Lizotte-Acciari-Hayes
Puustinen-Poulin

I'd obviously prefer Acciari to be a healthy scratch but that's about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodleaf

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Penguins are literally not giving Puustinen away. People are making up a scenario to complain about.

The only guys who's a threat of being put on waivers is Poulin, who's probably not getting claimed like most other guys on waivers.

Unless either McGroarty or Ponomarev lights it up in camp, they're probably starting with something very close to:

Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Lizotte-Acciari-Hayes
Puustinen-Poulin

I'd obviously prefer Acciari to be a healthy scratch but that's about it.
Probably pretty realistic but I think even IF Pono or McGroarty do well, their waiver-exempt status likely means a ticket to WBS. I imagine Sulliquin will give the opening roster 10 or so games before they make any changes. Hopefully Quinn will push on Sullivan if something isn't working.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010

Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Lizotte-Acciari-Hayes
Puustinen-Poulin

I'd obviously prefer Acciari to be a healthy scratch but that's about itit.
Im with you 100%. This is the lineup id roll out, but will they?

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
but I was absolutely super down on Hayes being anything useful for this team. If he ends up being an effective bottom-6 player, I'd be extremely happy with it.
How 'bad' Kevin Hayes was last season was overstated. When he was on the ice, the Blues scored 51.3% of the goals at even-strength. This might not seem overly impressive, but that was sixth on the team, and two of the players above him played fewer than thirty games. This means that only three Blues players who played a decent chunk of games had a better goal differential than he did. This is actual goals, not expected goals.
Also, he was used on somewhat of a defensive role on the team. Not to the same extreme that Eller was used here, but he didn't get tons of Offensive Zone time handed to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad