GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Any thoughts or was it a pretty mundane day 1?
It was physical compared to recent year's past.

McGoat knocked a few guys over on purpose which was refreshing. He's a power forward in his bones
Poulin was noticeably finishing checks and looked really good for day 1 from what I saw

Graves looks like a beer leaguer who thinks he's cool with a tinted visor. Absolutely awful at anything related to touching a puck
Koivunen was the classic I can do everything but finish and then look up to the heavens

Brunicke definitely jumped out a lot to me
Howe weaker than I thought but he has a face shield on so assume he hasn't been on the ice

Pulijarvi will be waived the second its available to do so

Again, trying to watch more tomorrow

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Lots of coachspeak but it's the question I was most interested in hearing the answer to:

Mike Sullivan was asked if there's a certain role he's envisioning for Rutger McGroarty if he is to make the NHL team out of camp.

"I don't know that we have any sort of preconceived notion there," Sullivan said. "I think we're all excited with Rutger and his potential to impact this organization. He's obviously a really good player, a terrific leader, a good person. It's a tremendous add to our organization. From my standpoint as the coach, we're just going to watch training camp and and we're going to see how Rutger does with respect to all the other guys in training camp. I think we have a responsibility to put the best lineup on the ice that gives the Penguins the best chance to win. I also think we have a responsibility to the players within our organization to help them maximize their potential, and that's a balancing act sometimes. I don't think there's any question in the short time that I've watched Rutger play, I think he's got a very bright future."

When it comes to when that NHL future comes, Sullivan said the time frame is going to be on McGroarty himself.

"I know we'd all like to sit here today and say, 'Hey, he's going to make the opening night roster,'" Sullivan said. "If he earns his way onto that roster, he will. But if he doesn't, and the organization and Kyle (Dubas) and our hockey operations group feel that it's best for him to continue to develop that at the American League level, then those decisions will be made. But I don't think any one of us have a preconceived notion. We have a responsibility to Rutger to do what's best for him, and my experience has been with respect to this stuff, is usually what's in the best interest of the player is also in the best interest of the organization. They tend to go hand in hand. We'll watch and see where it goes, but we're excited to have him in camp, and we're excited to watch his game, and we'll try to make an assessment of what we think is best for him and the organization, and we'll go from there."

Per Taylor Haase

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lots of coachspeak but it's the question I was most interested in hearing the answer to:

Per Taylor Haase
I feel like these comments from Sullivan are straight bullshit. No preconceived notions going into camp? Kind of like how every year Sullivan makes it sound like players can win/lose their spot on the roster depending on a strong/weak camp, but yet on opening night the crappy vets who did shit all during training camp make the team while the impressive youngsters get sent down (or at best, make the team but are healthy scratch on opening night).

Mike Sullivan just gave the longest version of "we'll see" :laugh:
His answer is the same type of answer I give to a friend if they ask me if I want to do something, but I know I don't.

"Yeah, uh, sounds good. Just gotta see if I can swing some things to free up time. But I definitely like that idea" before ultimately not going.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Mike Sullivan just gave the longest version of "we'll see" :laugh:

I feel like this is all he's been working on for years, now.

The longest most empty calories ways in which he can say nothing at all.

Wonder if he and Tomlin have been comparing notes and giving each other tips all offseason?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I feel like these comments from Sullivan are straight bullshit. No preconceived notions going into camp? Kind of like how every year Sullivan makes it sound like players can win/lose their spot on the roster depending on a strong/weak camp, but yet on opening night the crappy vets who did shit all during training camp make the team while the impressive youngsters get sent down (or at best, make the team but are healthy scratch on opening night).

His answer is the same type of answer I give to a friend if they ask me if I want to do something, but I know I don't.

"Yeah, uh, sounds good. Just gotta see if I can swing some things to free up time. But I definitely like that idea" before ultimately not going.
I think they had every expectation that Hinostroza would play a bigger role last year. Instead, he was sent to WBS and ended up only playing 14 games .

I absolutely agree Sullivan has favorites. Every coach does. But I do think there are situations where he tries to go in with a somewhat open mind to let someone prove themselves.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Everything from this team is always bullshit. Sullivan's coach-speak. Dubas' bullshit pressers. Guys like Sid and Geno giving the most bland, cliche answers to things.

There's nothing to gain from listening to any interviews or pressers with anybody from this team. :laugh: That is until EK gets fed up and starts to openly question the coaching/system/whatever. Which I hope he does.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Everything from this team is always bullshit. Sullivan's coach-speak. Dubas' bullshit pressers. Guys like Sid and Geno giving the most bland, cliche answers to things.

There's nothing to gain from listening to any interviews or pressers with anybody from this team. :laugh: That is until EK gets fed up and starts to openly question the coaching/system/whatever. Which I hope he does.
I'm hoping last year EK was just getting acclimated to the team and didn't want to create much ruckus. His no BS attitude would be great to have here. Could you imagine the fireworks if he talked shit about Sullivan after a bad stretch?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm hoping last year EK was just getting acclimated to the team and didn't want to create much ruckus. His no BS attitude would be great to have here. Could you imagine the fireworks if he talked shit about Sullivan after a bad stretch?
I didn't want JT Miller because I thought he would be the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to (what I assume is) the pretty dead, high tension lockerroom of a team on the steady decline.

It's pretty obvious that having an asshole who will brazenly call out the insane, dysfunctional way this team is run would be great for things actually being addressed and changed.

But you just know Sullivan would have JT Miller playing like Blueger, a slopshit shutdown defensive grunt, and he'd neuter any and all snarl out of his game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly do not care whether McGroarty starts the year with the Penguins or not, I'm just very confident that he'll dominate the AHL to a level that he'll be up in a top-6 role by the halfway point of the year. Like I was saying in the prospect thread, I was already wondering if it would be better for him to start in WBS and Ponomarev to start in the NHL above him. Time in the AHL will absolutely not be a negative for him.

I figure McGroarty starting in WBS opens up a top-9 spot for Beauvillier, so I'd be curious if it would be O'Connor-Crosby-Rust with Beauvillier on L3 or Beauvillier-Crosby-Rust with O'Connor on L3. My hope is that they'd be willing to healthy scratch Acciari and go with:

Beauvillier/O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor/Beauvillier-Eller-Glass
Ponomarev-Lizotte-Hayes
Acciari-Puustinen

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens under Dubas brought in a number of players who are not Sullivan's type who he played the last number of years. For example, Acciari while injured is a decent scorer who brings some grit and bang.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
WBS is going to be stacked!

McGroarty Ponomarev Puustinen
Poulin Broz Koivunen
Koppanen Gruden Bemstrom
Andonovski Huntington Jonhnstone
Imama
Puustinen will get claimed if he’s waived…don’t think he makes it to Wilkes…he had 20 points last season in like 50 NHL games and he’s cheap

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Puus 100% gets claimed IMO. Contract is super friendly. League min for 2 years. I think he is a shoe-in for a cap strapped team to pickup, if not a bottom feeder. Happy to be wrong but he’s an easy one for a team like Colorado to give a shot.

Poulin I’m not sure but I think it’s possible.

Don’t see anyone else getting claimed… maybe Acciari? Likely Glass? Doubt either is waived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad