GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Poulin is almost certainly a fairly unremarkable player but he would work just as well if not better than the vast majority of (often expensive) vet player mishmash they've tried in their bottom six for years, now. And you never know... maybe even Poulin develops into a player that could match or even exceed the contributions of giants of the sport like Noel Acciari, Brock McGinn, Danton Heinen and Brian Boyle.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Poulin is almost certainly a fairly unremarkable player but he would work just as well if not better than the vast majority of (often expensive) vet player mishmash they've tried in their bottom six for years, now. And you never know... maybe even Poulin develops into a player that could match or even exceed the contributions of giants of the sport like Noel Acciari, Brock McGinn, Danton Heinen and Brian Boyle.
1726673753454.png

The disrespect. DH and BB brought it for us.
Won't be holding my breath for that from Poulin. Wish him the best though.

Reactions: SEALBound

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sucks to see how many better players than Poulin were available below him in the 2019 draft.
Pinto, Tomasino, Kochetkov, Robertson (Dubas pick) notable among them.

You can do that with every draft. Easy to be right with context.

Poulin's career production actually is pretty good. It's the mental health, COVID and injury issues that have messed with his career.

You cannot write the book on Poulin just yet but I would say his (tiny) NHL sample has been unremarkable.

I don’t expect much but it would be really nice to get something from him. The people who watch the AHL here liked him last season. I’ve said it forever but I’d really like to see him on the wing.

He's a good player when he is in the line-up and has good enough hands and physical frame that I think he could develop into something if given the time.

Guarantee he gets waived and picked up by Montreal and puts up like 30+ points for them in a bottom six role while we have Lizotte and Acciari putting up 20 points.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He's a good player when he is in the line-up and has good enough hands and physical frame that I think he could develop into something if given the time.

Guarantee he gets waived and picked up by Montreal and puts up like 30+ points for them in a bottom six role while we have Lizotte and Acciari putting up 20 points.
Time will tell

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin is too slow to be an effective winger at the NHL level and they don’t have a bottom-6 center spot for him. I don’t see a justification for him being above Ponomarev in the center depth chart, either.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Poulin is 24 at the beginning of the new year. This year is his last shot. Can’t think of too many players that broke through in their mid 20s.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It's isn't disrespect. They are replacement-level players.

You love to whinge about people needing to face reality or whatever. There's some for ya.
That's reality from your perspective, Willy.
Heinen just got a 2 year, 2.5M per deal after 36 points in 74 games for Boston. No PP time. 4th time he put up over 30 points.
Didn't Boyle play 871 games? Wasn't too much replacement goin on there either.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This whole Poulin talk sounds just like people overreacting about Ty Smith last year, who passed through waivers without a problem and no one wanted him outside of a contract throw-in.

This place latches onto one mediocre prospect a year to act like they’re going to lose them for nothing if they don’t play in the NHL, only for them to go unclaimed through waivers just like everyone else’s failed 1st rounder prospect.

I don’t think Poulin is definitely a bust, I can see a path where he carves out a career as a decent bottom-6 center, but teams don’t claim that kind of guy when they go on waivers. Every team already has like 2 or 3 of those guys themselves.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
This whole Poulin talk sounds just like people overreacting about Ty Smith last year, who passed through waivers without a problem and no one wanted him outside of a contract throw-in.

This place latches onto one mediocre prospect a year to act like they’re going to lose them for nothing if they don’t play in the NHL, only for them to go unclaimed through waivers just like everyone else’s failed 1st rounder prospect.

I don’t think Poulin is definitely a bust, I can see a path where he carves out a career as a decent bottom-6 center, but teams don’t claim that kind of guy when they go on waivers. Every team already has like 2 or 3 of those guys themselves.
You put way too much faith in organizational roster decisions being correct.
After the constant flurry of mistakes we've seen over the years, you can't be that naive man. Let's go.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Ty Smith also deserved more of a shot than he got here.

It'll be interesting to see what Carolina does with him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's reality from your perspective, Willy.
Heinen just got a 2 year, 2.5M per deal after 36 points in 74 games for Boston. 4th time he put up over 30 points.
Didn't Boyle play 871 games? Wasn't too much replacement goin on there either.

As you just said yourself to someone else... you put way too much faith into organizational roster decisions being correct. NHL coaches and GMs love their vet journeymen. It doesn't mean they are any better than vast swaths of the AHL.

It's just a little weird to me that you seem to gleefully lampoon the idea of doing right by franchise legends at the end of their career and advocate the idea of basically running them out of town even while they are still putting up decent numbers but will go to bat for Brian Boyle when brought up. You do you but it's like... OK?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You put way too much faith in organizational roster decisions being correct.
After the constant flurry of mistakes we've seen over the years, you can't be that naive man. Let's go.

How does the organization's decisions mean anything here? I'm pointing out that people freaked out about Ty Smith being claimed off waivers last year, only for him to pass through waivers easily. Whether the Penguins view him correctly or not is irrelevant to the fact that Ty Smith was another struggling 1st rounder that no one bothered to claim off of waivers, and there's really no reason to think that Poulin is any different.

Whether these teams are right or wrong about Poulin's skillset is irrelevant to the fact that teams have 2-3 guys in Poulin's exact spot that will also be going on waivers next year. Why would other teams bother claiming someone in Poulin's situation when they themselves already have multiple of those guys?

The only difference between Poulin and Gruden is that Poulin was a 1st rounder while Gruden wasn't.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So going off the pairs so far, the lines seem to be something like this:

x-Sid-Rust
x-Geno-Rakell
x-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-x

Pettersson-Ek
Gryz-Letang
Graves-St.Ivany

LWs could be DOC/Bunting/Mcgroat in that order. 4RW between pool party or Acciari I guess

To me Beau seems to be insurance for Mcgroat. Beau replaces him if he's sent down. Othwrwise he will be the 13th forward

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So going off the pairs so far, the lines seem to be something like this:

x-Sid-Rust
x-Geno-Rakell
x-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-x

Pettersson-Ek
Gryz-Letang
Graves-St.Ivany

LWs could be DOC/Bunting/Mcgroat in that order. 4RW between pool party or Acciari I guess

To me Beau seems to be insurance for Mcgroat. Beau replaces him if he's sent down. Othwrwise he will be the 13th forward

I am a bit surprised that Glass is being put in a full time L3 spot out of the gate, I honestly wasn't expecting that. This lineup kinda means that Beauvillier is a healthy scratch unless they'd go with Beauvillier-Lizotte-Hayes as L4. I also don't quite understand why they have Hayes on LW either.

I figure it's:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
McGroarty-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari
Beauvillier-Puustinen

Where Beauvillier slides up to L3 if McGroarty shows he's not NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad