Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We kinda did. Gave 5 we looked better but it's not like we were kicking their ass like they kicked ours in games 2 and 4.

The truth is the Avs never really got it going. The only time they looked like themselves was when the Stars turtled with a 3-0 lead in the 1st game. They let us skate and we were looking sharp.
It’s true they never got sustained momentum but this was not some monumental ass-kicking. Statistically the Avs and Stars matched up really well, it’s just that the Stars had more of an edge and the Avs just couldn’t make up for that, especially after Nichushkin got himself suspended.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
More than what he's doing right now...he's a PMD with PP2 time on the team that scores the most goals in the league. He's also making 5M/year.

His stats over the years:

2021: 0.67 PPG
2022: 0.41 PPG
2023: 0.49 PPG
2024: 0.30 PPG

That's a huge drop.
Part of the problem is that he HAS to play a more defensive role because Manson was totally freewheeling this year. That’s obviously not the sole reason but it played a not-insignificant part.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You play Ritchie there and give him a long leash to learn the pro game. Stick Landeskog and/or LOC with him. He is also insulated by 29 and 37 taking the two toughest matchups nightly.
This again?

Callum. Ritchie. Does. Not. Play. A. 3C. Style. Game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mikko won't be going anywhere but if he did then my boy Svechnikov better be on MacKinnon's wing next season. One of my absolute favourite players outside of Colorado.

Reactions: justin86

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think the best course of action for both parties is a 1 year deal with slightly higher AAV. Of course, if Drouin wants to sign lik 4x4 then f***ing do it NOW, but I don't think him and his agent are that stupid.

1 full year next to MacKinnon, putting up +PPG. Then cash in with another team.
Why is it better for the Avs to have 1 year and higher AAV? We want the lowest AAV possible, term no longer matters with this core.

Reactions: Forceberg

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I think the best course of action for both parties is a 1 year deal with slightly higher AAV. Of course, if Drouin wants to sign lik 4x4 then f***ing do it NOW, but I don't think him and his agent are that stupid.

1 full year next to MacKinnon, putting up +PPG. Then cash in with another team.
No way.. He can get a Nichushkin-like deal from someone. Less than that, but close.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why is it better for the Avs to have 1 year and higher AAV? We want the lowest AAV possible, term no longer matters with this core.
1 year with a higher AAV is not an option. The Avs can't give it to him.

No way.. He can get a Nichushkin-like deal from someone. Less than that, but close.
Right. And he could get +8 with a full season next to Nate, showing what he can do.

I’d want long term on JD to get his cap hit down. 5 years/$17M.
I have a hard time seeing Drouin accepting that.

After his innitial strugles, Drouin was basically a PPG player. A legit top-6 guy. As much as he loves Nate, he probably doesn't want to be his shotgun for multiple years making like 4 times less than him.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Too much cap coming back imo. If the Avs expect Landy back, then the most you could do would be a Crouse cap-wise. Which might not be a bad thing if the additions are solid.

It's unfortunate, but the Avs have been hit by injuries or players being out for most of their cup window. First it was goaltending and Kadri. Then it was Nuke and Landy and other injuries. Team has never really been fully loaded outside it's one cup run and Franky still had to bail them out of a series.
Tons of ways to make it work and the potential benefits would be massive

1. Gain 1M of cap space this coming year from the swap, and then the next 3 years you gain about 3-4 million per season.

2. Younger player who is more likely to remain at his current level than Rantanen is with potential to grow offensively if played with Mackinnon

3. Similar to the Huberdeau trade it can be expanded upon to include more players for cap purposes. Rantanen + Girard for Tkachuk + Chychrun as a base saves even more money this year and gets Ottawa out of two potential headaches while remaining competitive which is important to them. Draft picks can be added either way to balance the trade.

Obviously the entire idea is dependant on Tkachuk wanting out which is speculation from myself. Ottawa would be wise to do it before his NMC kicks in if they are going to have to move him regardless. It’s more likely they keep him for this entire year but you never know. The Tkachuks have a way of getting their way with these kinds of situations and Colorado would be an excellent spot for Brady.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
How does one trade Girard or Georgie and make the team better?

Colton at 3C isn't good. But as a second line winger who can bang and crash to play with Mittelstadt why not?

The effort level looks there with a Colton. He's nothing you want at 3C and overpaid to do it. But 4 million for a winger who can hit and chip in offense and play C if there's an injury isn't bad.

Leaves a hole at 3C though.

Reactions: Avs9296 and Iceberg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How does one trade Girard or Georgie and make the team better?

Colton at 3C isn't good. But as a second line winger who can bang and crash to play with Mittelstadt why not?

The effort level looks there with a Colton. He's nothing you want at 3C and overpaid to do it. But 4 million for a winger who can hit and chip in offense and play C if there's an injury isn't bad.

Leaves a hole at 3C though.
Colton looked like he couldn't handle playing 13-14 minutes on the 3rd line. Now we want to give him even more minutes at wing on the 2nd line?

He's a player this team doesn't need. 4M for average play. That cap space is sorely needed and is better spent on someone like Drouin.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Neither. Does. Ross. Colton. So. I. Don't. Know. What. Point. You. Are. Trying. To. Make.
That the style of play Bedna desires out of his 3C is better suited on Colton than Ritchie, in addition to the fact that we know Colton can play in the NHL. We don’t know how Callum will transition yet. It could flame out.

Ross is an average 3C, who scored exactly 40pts this year. We’re better off with him than without him.

Plus, we’re already not the most desirable place for UFAs to sign, what message does trading a player we just signed, and has a NTC kicking in on 7/1, send to players?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That the style of play Bedna desires out of his 3C is better suited on Colton than Ritchie, in addition to the fact that we know Colton can play in the NHL. We don’t know how Callum will transition yet. It could flame out.

Ross is an average 3C, who scored exactly 40pts this year. We’re better off with him than without him.

Plus, we’re already not the most desirable place for UFAs to sign, what message does trading a player we just signed, and has a NTC kicking in on 7/1, send to players?
Bednar had J.T Compher as his 3C for several seasons. The guy plays nothing like Colton and Bednar loved him. So no, Colton doesn't play the preferred style. If you skate, are hard on pucks, and can be sound defensively Bednar will love you.

Sure we don't know if Ritchie will flame out. You gotta find out eventually, though, and he has nothing left to do in junior. He proved that this season.

The message it sends? What do we care? The Avs don't build their team via UFA anyways and if someone wants to come play here, they'll sign here. Way more egregious things have been done by other organizations to players than to trade a guy a year after acquiring him. The Avs don't owe Colton anything. If he needs to go to make the team better, he goes.

Reactions: Alienblood

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Colton looked like he couldn't handle playing 13-14 minutes on the 3rd line. Now we want to give him even more minutes at wing on the 2nd line?

He's a player this team doesn't need. 4M for average play. That cap space is sorely needed and is better spent on someone like Drouin.
He can't handle playing C because he's dumb as a pile of rocks. If he's a W on Mittelstadts line and told to skate fast and hit the defender who has the puck he could do it.

Although Bednar wanting wingers to play the body after a dump in is probably never happening.

Reactions: avsfan09

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If the Avs can keep only 3 of Colton, Girard, Manson, Drouin and Lehky then who's leaving?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad