Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The problem with G is where the f*** did his offense go? 5M for a dman who provides no offense, no elite defense and no physicality is a lot any way you slice it. I like him and would like to keep him but he's overpaid.

As of right now we still have to lose one of Girard, Colton or Manson this summer.
How many points do you want out of your #3 Dman with extremely limited PP time?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How many points do you want out of your #3 Dman with extremely limited PP time?
More than what he's doing right now...he's a PMD with PP2 time on the team that scores the most goals in the league. He's also making 5M/year.

His stats over the years:

2021: 0.67 PPG
2022: 0.41 PPG
2023: 0.49 PPG
2024: 0.30 PPG

That's a huge drop.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
More than what he's doing right now...he's a PMD with PP2 time on the team that scores the most goals in the league. He's also making 5M/year.

That's a huge drop.
I wouldn't say that this was a normal season for him. I'll definitely be concerned if those numbers didn't get back up to around .45 next year. But you know damn well that PP2 is a joke that doesn't get real minutes. They're lucky if they get the last 20 seconds.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Re: Nuke

If we take the recent case of Corey Perry as an example, his contract was terminated and the cap penalty for the Hawks was 1.99M (so roughly 50% of the 4M AAV). He also got paid 3M.

If the Avs want to terminate Nuke's contract and the terms are the same, Nuke will get 75% of his money and the Avs will have 3M of cap penalty for 6 years. That's enough of a deterrent to not do that.

Reactions: Chiarelli

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

That's a huge drop.
I mean last year(this year was a weird one for Girard) Girard had more ES points than Slavin, Weeger, Andersson, Bouchard, Chychrun, Doughty, Seider, Rielly, Ghost, Jones, and Hronek. PP2 gets no time so he won't be productive there, but his ES scoring is still decent.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a 21 man roster with Drouin and Mittelstadt taking less than what they probably deserve to be making. Zero moves made. This is with a 2M cap charge for Nichushkin's termination. IF the Avs can get that lowered, it will make life easier.

The roster would IMO need two bottom six additions and one 3rd pairing RHD addition at the TDL. Maybe you only need one up front if Kovalenko works out, but you also would be hoping Ritchie can come in and produce ~35-45 points as a rookie.

I still believe this team should move on from Ross Colton before his NTC kicks in and play Ritchie at 3C with Landeskog alongside him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_130627_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_130627_Edge.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 5

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still believe this team should move on from Ross Colton before his NTC kicks in and play Ritchie at 3C with Landeskog alongside him.
Yep and if he can't do it then find a 3C at the deadline.

Not sure anyone wants Colton at 4M X 3 with a NTC attached to him though. At least not without sending a contract back.

Reactions: Alienblood

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
How many of you are still on the trade G train? I thought he looked good these playoffs. I’m definitely on the trade Rantanen and Colton train, but I know neither will happen.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Not sure anyone wants Colton at 4M X 3 with a NTC attached to him though. At least not without sending a contract back.
I'm sure he has a market. I'm down on him but he did basically score 20/20 last season.

A young team looking for a "winner" might want to trade for him, or a team short on centers. I wouldn't be expecting a great return, but that cap space is vital.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I’m sure there’d be plenty of interest in a 3C who scored 40pts this year.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Well, who knows if this is the right place for this post, but it does concern trades.

First, Bednar needs to stop being so damn stubborn He has a very interesting system, but it only seems to work if there is not a single hiccup. The Avs have 2 very interesting players in the fold in Mitts and Drouin. They have seriously high Hockey IQ and can play east / west as well as north / south.

So who do I really want to keep?

Drouin - Mac - XXX
Lehky - Mitts - XXX (I suppose Landy if he does return, but that is a big IF)
LOC - XXX - XXX (I like the Roaring 20s line plus both Wood and Colton are under contract)
Kovy - XXX - XXX (I would not mind Trenin back for one of these slots. Maybe Kivy? Wagner is also signed next year)

Makar - XXX (I simply do not see what Toews provides. He had a good Game 6 but that might have been his only good game of the playoffs. His major, game-altering mistakes number 50+. I do not expect the Avs to move him, but I do not see what he brings that a $2M or $3M youngster could duplicate.)
Girard - Manson
??? - ??? ( If they use Malinski and Behrens, that pair will get destroyed before they truly learn how to play in the NHL. JMFJ might have one more year in the tank as a 6/7, but that bottom pair concerns me.

So here is my open question:

I do not think the Avs necessarily need a complete retool. I very much like Mac, Drouin, Mitts, Lehky and LOC. Assuming that LOC's return will signal better play by the Roaring 20s I'd have to say that they are a good 3rd line or the best 4th line by a mile. So..........

Let's say that Nuke's contract can be jettisoned. Let's say that Landy ends up on LTIRetirement. Now let's say that Mikko does get moved. That is $22.25M in cap room for 1W ($6M), 2W ($5M), 1G (+ $3M), increases for Drouin and Mitts ($5M total over those slots this year) and some decent 4th-liners. In this scenario, moving Mikko ( even at his current $9, not the $12M+ he will demand) allows the team to keep Drouin and Mitts long term, and improve the 1G.

Sadly, Toews has 2 more years of NMC, and young kids, so he is unlikely to go anywhere. That $7.25M AAV is going to dour as if it were ice cream left in the cup since the 2022 win. There is not a human on the planet who can convince me his 23-24 performance was worth $7.25M But I digress.

Assuming Nuke and Landy will not count against the cap one way or another, is it smart to send Mikko packing as well, to seriously beef up the 4 forward lines? An argument can be made that the window which seemingly slammed shut last night could reopen for 4 or 5 years.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean…if we trade him we’re one of those teams interested in a 3C who can put up roughly 40pts
Tough shit, no money. We are going to have to give up on a player. Either it's Colton, Lehkonen, Girard, Manson, or Rantanen. Pick your poison.

Reactions: Balthazar

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Then people need to realize this is a move to make cap room. You can bring back some salary, maybe around 4m. But forget about trying to cone up a "Rantanen for B. Tkachuk" type of deal. Because that's not going to do us any good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balthazar

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean…if we trade him we’re one of those teams interested in a 3C who can put up roughly 40pts
I don't think we will or should trade him. But the narrative surrounding Colton here is... interesting. As if he'd have no value or something.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Colton at 4 million is a "luxury" we can't afford.

He doesn't PK, he doesn't really play PP, you can't line match him against other teams top guys, he loses his assignments defensively pretty regularly.

Ya he can hit and put up some points, but with Mack and Mitts, Mitts can play against the other teams top lines, Colton at 4 million is not a luxury we can afford.

I'd rather get a cheaper 3C who may only put up 30 ish points but is sound defensively and can PK and who's a natural C.

OR even better just let Ritchie learn the position at 3C with some defensively responsible wingers (Gabe/LOC) etc.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
LITR Landeskog till playoffs.
Terminate the contract of Nuke.
Trade Rantanen.
Sign Mitts and JD.
Bring in a lot of young players and let them gain experience.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad