Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean Johnston 100% looks like a future superstar out there. His postseason is kinda reminding me of when the Ducks won the Cup and Getzlaf had his coming out party that run. Even then this is different than losing to Seattle. Dallas may not have a Mack or Kucherov, but Johnston, Robertson, Stankoven, Benn, Seguin, Duchene is a talented and deep forward group.
Johnston IMO is well on his way to being a superstar, while Heiskanen and Oettinger and superstars. They also had Hintz for 4 games who is a star, as is Jason Robertson.

To say the Stars don't have much star power is ridiculous.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
We have all summer to debate this… but I think a few things are very clear.

Avs need to get younger. Vegas was the oldest team to win a Cup in a very long time and the Avs are older than them. Way older next year. The core is too old to survive a legit retool, so you have to find a way to get more 22-26 year old legs in the lineup.

Top guys need their minutes managed a lot better during the season. The wearing them out with 23-25 minute games all season leaves very little in the tank.

Bednar has to be more versatile in his attack. There has to be counters to the style the the Stars presented.
Ship Girard out, trade Rantanen for Zegras and Terry

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Johnston IMO is well on his way to being a superstar, while Heiskanen and Oettinger and superstars. They also had Hintz for 4 games who is a star, as is Jason Robertson.

To say the Stars don't have much star power is ridiculous.
This isn't a team centered around superstars like the Avs, Leafs and Oilers

Reactions: Chiarelli

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We just got screwed again by Val and another year without Landy and no captain on the ice. It was a pretty close series vs Dallas even though at times it looked like Dallas dominated.

Reactions: Lonewolfe2015

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This isn't a team centered around superstars like the Avs, Leafs and Oilers
No, it's not, but that's because they lucked out with contracts like the Avs did.

Thr Stars still have next season to enjoy, too, before the 2025 offseason where Wyatt Johnston, Jake Oettinger, and Thomas Harley are RFAs. Oettinger likely becomes the highest paid goalie in the league while Johnston likely gets 9+ and Harley 6-7.

All of a sudden the team starts to look a lot like Colorado cap wise.

We lucked out in 2022. Stars are lucking out now.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We just got screwed again by Val and another year without Landy and no captain on the ice. It was a pretty close series vs Dallas even though at times it looked like Dallas dominated.

Agreed, and everyone knew the first two rounds of the central were the western finals for whomever made it out alive. Avs and Stars traded off dominance. Missing Nuke and Landy sealed the team's fate once again.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No we didn’t.
We kinda did. Game 5 we looked better but it's not like we were kicking their ass like they kicked ours in games 2 and 4.

The truth is the Avs never really got it going. The only time they looked like themselves was when the Stars turtled with a 3-0 lead in the 1st game. They let us skate and we were looking sharp.

Last edited:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Go get the best goalie available.
Georgiev wasn't the problem necessarily but also not a + either.
A star in net is the only way I see this team having a shot at contending again.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
What's that site people use for roster ideas that has the cap hits in it?

In the meanwhile,

Drouin - MacKinnon - Landeskog
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - LOC

If Landeskog can't go, our surest bet is moving up LOC. The bar isn't very high. Wild cards are Kovalenko/Ritchie.
Only trade Rantanen if we can get someone who's locked in for 5-7M to take his place.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson

Walker walks.

Georgiev
Annunen

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No, it's not, but that's because they lucked out with contracts like the Avs did.

Thr Stars still have next season to enjoy, too, before the 2025 offseason where Wyatt Johnston, Jake Oettinger, and Thomas Harley are RFAs. Oettinger likely becomes the highest paid goalie in the league while Johnston likely gets 9+ and Harley 6-7.

They have value contracts but they also have Benn and Seguin to counter that.

Otter is their only player that has a chance to become a top 3 player at his position. They aren't like the Avs.

My point is we have to move on from Rantanen because we need depth more than we need a 3rd guy making that kind of money.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Val has worth and I’m sure there will be teams willing to take that chance. His next relapse he’s gone and won’t have cap implications. We see teams take wilder chances then nuke. Prove me wrong

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
The Nichushkin situation is also tough for the GM. Ideally you would want to wait and see if he can go to rehab and really show that he has turned his life around. But if you wait, you'll have to make big moves during the season to trade him off and to trade for a replacement.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Considering the competency of our amateur scouting staff, recent pro scouting wins like Wood/Colton/Ryjo/Walker, and another depressing 2nd round loss after a Hart trophy season from Nate (who pulled another Houdini act after the 1st round), along with zero assets and cap space, things are looking up.

Reactions: Alienblood

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Otter is their only player that has a chance to become a top 3 player at his position. They aren't like the Avs.

My point is we have to move on from Rantanen because we need depth more than we need a 3rd guy making that kind of money.
Benn and Seguin weren't anchors, though. Benn has been phenomenal these playoffs for them.

I don't disagree with you re: Rantanen but I just don't see this organization trading him.

Val has worth and I’m sure there will be teams willing to take that chance. His next relapse he’s gone and won’t have cap implications. We see teams take wilder chances then nuke. Prove me wrong
If you can find me the last player to get traded after being NHL mandate suspended for 6 months, please let me know. Because I cannot recall any instance recently. Maybe Todd Bertuzzi?

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
This could go on so many threads around here, but I guess this is the most appropriate one. The amount of doom and gloom about the window shutting, how it's just mediocrity from now on forward... Give your head a shake. We lost against the best team in the West. And damn near took it to G7. Without our best playoff performer. The margins in the NHL are extremely thin. There might be years when your team is 10% stronger than the other year, 10% weaker than the other year. But even the team that is supposedly weaker can go all the way if the stars align. This is the most unpredictable league there is. Before the year, you can probably name around 10 contenders, yet still usually there is at least one surprise team in the conference finals. I'm looking at Vancouver here. The "cup window" isn't something that just opens up once and then shuts down after a certain time. It constantly flashes open and closes depending on the year. Dallas has never done a full rebuild, just worked around the edges and have had some luck with their picks. Many said they were done a few years ago, and here we are. Florida, a lot of people thought they were never going anywhere with Barkov. Well, they did do some major re-tooling in acquiring Tkachuck and hired Maurice, now they seem to be heading for their 2nd cup final in a row after bowing out multiple times in the 1st round. New York? A lot of people said last year was the best chance they had, and things have just continued to improve for them. Look at their roster, they have good pieces and probably the best goalie in the world. But it's not some super team.

What I'm getting at, is that as long as you can build around MacKinnon and Makar, you have an extremely solid foundation. The best D-man in the world and the 2nd best center in the world is a damn good place to start, and saying you don't have a window with those two is ludicrous. This offseason will be hard, but even if the team takes a step back in paper for next year, that doesn't mean that our "window" is somehow shut. Who knows, maybe trying a different look will actually work better.

Still too early to really say what they should do. Some quick thoughts:

- Georgiev deserves his final year, he was solid apart from G1 against WPG.
- Keep Drouin, sign him to another short term deal with low cap hit. That's probably the best option for him too.
- Jack Johnson is fine as a #6 if he's willing to stay for a league minimum.
- The rest of the "established" bottom sixers can go. LOC and some kids, can't afford much more. Bye Cogs, bye Trenin, bye Duhaime.
- You can explore a Rantanen trade, but not that optimistic about the return. It's would be mostly for capspace. And if Rantanen is willing to sign for less than 12mil, you take it.
- Nuke needs to be gone, his full cap hit. Not expecting this to be resolved immediately, but there will be teams interested. Next strike, he's out of the league. He's not that big of a risk contract wise.
- Explore a Ross Colton trade, just for capspace.

Buckle up boys, interesting times ahead! It sucks to lose again, but don't act like the sky is coming down. It's not. We will get another chance to compete for the Cup.
The window is not shut yet for sure, but this offseason is absolutely critical in this team’s future success. I’d argue that it’s not closed yet but could be before the start of the new season, it’s that pivotal. Management has very tricky decisions ahead with no clear right path. On crucial crucial positions and key players. It’s kinda exciting and scary at the same time.
Go get the best goalie available.
Georgiev wasn't the problem necessarily but also not a + either.
A star in net is the only way I see this team having a shot at contending again.
Yeah it’s an option, get the best goalie you can and hope he gets hot. Risky though, who knows.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

That Seguin contract is going to be a killer. Benn’s crazy contract comes off the books for the Johnston and Oettinger renewal year and Lindell to re-sign or replace. Seguin is still there for the Stankoven renewal year.

Harley is an RFA this year with Tanev as a UFA. They have 14 million with Dutchy and Pavs as UFA and needing to sign 2F, 3 D and a backup. They’ll be a very deep team again next year but this might be their best roster of the window. Very tough decisions to make the year after

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean Benn may not be worth his 9mil, but he put up 60pts this season and his having a fantastic playoff run so far. Certainly far from a boat anchor right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That Seguin contract is going to be a killer. Benn’s crazy contract comes off the books for the Johnston and Oettinger renewal year and Lindell to re-sign or replace. Seguin is still there for the Stankoven renewal year.

Harley is an RFA this year with Tanev as a UFA. They have 14 million with Dutchy and Pavs as UFA and needing to sign 2F, 3 D and a backup. They’ll be a very deep team again next year but this might be their best roster of the window. Very tough decisions to make the year after
No doubt, but what I mean by luck is that if Oettinger doesn't sign a bridge and instead says he wants to make 8M per, well that is double what he makes now. There goes the money for Matt Duchene. Suddenly you have Craig Smith in your top nine.

Stars GM did very well to build a great team and lucked out in the process, much like Sakic in 2022.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
What's that site people use for roster ideas that has the cap hits in it?

In the meanwhile,

Drouin - MacKinnon - Landeskog
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - LOC

If Landeskog can't go, our surest bet is moving up LOC. The bar isn't very high. Wild cards are Kovalenko/Ritchie.
Only trade Rantanen if we can get someone who's locked in for 5-7M to take his place.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson

Walker walks.

Georgiev
Annunen

Reactions: Vaslof

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
No doubt, but what I mean by luck is that if Oettinger doesn't sign a bridge and instead says he wants to make 8M per, well that is double what he makes now. There goes the money for Matt Duchene. Suddenly you have Craig Smith in your top nine.

Stars GM did very well to build a great team and lucked out in the process, much like Sakic in 2022.
Teams got fooled that it was Holland behind the Wings success when it sure seems like Nill was the real reason and he’s done well (and much better than Holland) since going to Dallas

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I can't believe people still want G gone. Who's going to play those #3 minutes? He also just crushed his "weak in the playoffs" narrative. 5 million for your #3 isn't really that bad. Manson will be 33 next year and JJ will be 38. We need some fresher legs on this roster on the backend. Toews, Makar, G and to some extent Manson are pretty good PMDs. I wouldn't mind some bigger guys that aren't ancient to fill the bottom two holes. With the way Pratt mix and matches the S pairing, I think we can have Manson and G babysit the two bottom roles anyway. Or at least until the TDL. There's also Malinski and Behrens in the pipeline.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The problem with G is where the f*** did his offense go? 5M for a dman who provides no offense, no elite defense and no physicality is a lot any way you slice it. I like him and would like to keep him but he's overpaid.

As of right now we still have to lose one of Girard, Colton or Manson this summer.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Girard at 5m when the cap is 87.7m is fine. Avs just trade Byram, so you know he's not going anywhere now. Plus the Avs entire MO is breakout and transition play, getting rid of G and only leaving Makar would be a disaster. Walker was okay at it, but I wouldn't bring him back.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad