Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
While not officially announced, it seems a trade involving the Philadelphia Flyers and the Ottawa Senators is already in place and set to go through before or on draft day.

Travis Yost of TSN sparked significant speculation with his latest report dropping on June 19. He suggested that the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers are close to finalizing a trade.

“Believe the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers have the framework of a trade in place as well, though this one may go closer to the Draft,” Yost wrote.

The NHL draft is scheduled for June 28-29 in Las Vegas. Yost did not provide specifics on the potential players or picks involved. That, consequently, only added to the speculation and fostered conversations.

Both franchises will seek to explore all potential avenues to improve after disappointing seasons. The Senators and the Flyers fell short of making the playoffs. The former not getting close and the latter dropping out late.

Flyers beat writer Charlie O’Connor was asked by a fan about potential players involved in the trade, and he made his best guess on X.

I’ve heard the Sens still like Laughton even w/DJ Smith gone. I’ve heard PHI likes Pinto. Friedman reported they at least discussed Chychrun at the deadline. I heard Chabot was brought up. Then there’s the draft picks,” O’Connor wrote.

Draft Picks Believed to Be Central to Trade Framework​

As O’Connor mentioned at the end of his message, the trade discussions between the Senators and Flyers seem to revolve heavily around draft picks.

The Senators hold the No. 7 and No. 25 picks in the 2024 draft. The Flyers have the No. 12 pick overall.

There is a belief that a swap of Ottawa’s No. 7 overall selection with Philadelphia’s No. 12 pick could be part of the trade, on top of any players added from one or the two sides to make up for the difference in draft capital.

Such a move should allow the Senators to gain an additional asset while moving down slightly in the draft order.

Potential Flyers Players Involved in the Trade​

Several Flyers players have been mentioned in different trade rumors of late, including Travis Konecny, Scott Laughton, and Cam Atkinson.

Ariel Melendez of Broad Street Buzz discussed Yost’s report on June 19, touching on Konecny’s situation. Konecny is entering the final year of his contract and recently achieved a career-high 68 points. His cap hit is $5.5 million, with a total salary of $7 million due to bonuses.

Konecny played for the Ottawa 67s and his connection with former teammate Claude Giroux makes him a potential fit for the Senators. However, the lack of potential for an extension might deter Ottawa from pursuing him.

Scott Laughton was also mentioned by Melendez. Despite his fluctuating performance, Laughton appeared in all 82 games in 2024.

Steve Warne of The Hockey News brought Cam Atkinson’s name to the table. He surfaced due to his significant cap hit of nearly $5.9 million, despite scoring only 28 points in 70 games last season.

Warne thinks offloading his contract could benefit the Flyers, but his no-trade clause could pose a challenge. As the author points out in his story, Flyers GM Daniel Briere previously stated, “Everything is on the table,” indicating a willingness to consider all sorts of trade packages sent his way.

Potential Senators Players Getting Moved​

On the Senators’ side, several names have been mentioned too, including Jakob Chychrun, Thomas Chabot, and Shane Pinto.

Chychrun was mentioned by O’Connor. The defenseman played all 82 games last season and tied a career-high with 41 points. However, Philadelphia has a surplus of defensemen, which means they might not entertain landing him in the trade.

Thomas Chabot is another top defenseman whose name has come up in discussions, but he might find himself in the same situation if landing in Philadelphia. Chabot, who missed time due to injuries in 2024, scored 30 points in 51 games.

Finally, Shane Pinto is a young forward with his own woes (he missed part of the season due to a suspension for gambling). He comes with the biggest upside. Pinto scored 27 points in 41 games and should keep developing his game still aged 23 years old.

Reactions: Kegs

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Others are saying that Toronto has “mutual interest” with DeBrusk….

Did you forget about the previous 10 pages where we have been talking about Ottawa?
UGGHHHH.

Johnny Damon was a talented, nice kid. Handsome and fun. Sadly, he was also truly dumb as a plank. But he was our loveable goofball puppy.

Then he went to the Yankees - and it was 100% his right to do that. No question and I didn't have any right or need to be part of that decision.

However, I also had the 100% prerogative to dislike Johnny immensely for that and wish that he'd strike out or make an error every single time I saw him. Childish? Yes. But my perogative? Yes.

Love Jake -- but this gives me pause to see HUGE parallels. (Not sure if Jake is dumb as a plank. Wouldn't call him the most aware guy in the world, but I don't think he is Johnny D dumb.)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He would lose his mind in TO...Doubt he goes to TO.

UGGHHHH.

Johnny Damon was a talented, nice kid. Handsome and fun. Sadly, he was also truly dumb as a plank. But he was our loveable goofball puppy.

Then he went to the Yankees - and it was 100% his right to do that. No question and I didn't have any right or need to be part of that decision.

However, I also had the 100% prerogative to dislike Johnny immensely for that and wish that he'd strike out or make an error every single time I saw him. Childish? Yes. But my perogative? Yes.

Love Jake -- but this gives me pause to see HUGE parallels. (Not sure if Jake is dumb as a plank. Wouldn't call him the most aware guy in the world, but I don't think he is Johnny D dumb.)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I agree completely. That pressure cooker would have him tenderized and falling off the bone before the season was three months old.

First few weeks - "Playoff dynamo Jake DeBrusk is here to put us over the hump".
Next few weeks - "Jake hasn't scored. Boy he sure is streaky."
Next few weeks - "He's uninterested."
Next few weeks - "Another soft forward. DeBrusk is eating money that should go to D".

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Chychrun seems so Philadelphia Flyerish

I’d definitely be happy if he comes here I’ve bought into hype on him watching him lol

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Chychrun seems so Philadelphia Flyerish

I’d definitely be happy if he comes here I’ve bought into hype on him watching him lol
Some posters are like chubby, acne pocked middle schoolers who haven't yet discovered shampoo at their first dance. Lined up against the wall with their buddies saying things like "I wouldn't dance with Mary Perkins if you paid me".

Of course Mary Perkins is very pretty, very nice, and in very high demand.:laugh:

Seriously, I saw someone yesterday saying "no thanks" to Travis Konecny!

Linus is a pending UFA and will not be here in 25/26 no matter what. And people have been nitpicking players like Chychrun and Konecny?!?!!?

Can't make this shit up.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Gonzo

"If you have any physically imposing dmen better defensively than Lindholm/Carlo that also don’t turn the puck over under pressure feel free to throw their names out and what you think it would cost to acquire them"

You said these two would be a the Bruins shutdown guys, I disagreed as they are NOT a good pair and FAR from physical.

Im not going to waste my time on hypothetical fantasy trades or on players from other teams.

Lets use our own roster and use Peeke in that roll and mix in Wotherspoon once in a while (if he's not traded). Both Carlo and Lindholm combined are not as tough or physical as Peeke.

I will leave the fantasy acquisitions to others

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm trying really hard to keep my expectations low.

Three team deals including a player's waiver is pretty complex stuff.

That said, I keep hitting refresh and that's not a good place to be. Think I need to chill.

(EDIT: BTW. That's just me talking to myself. I won't chill. I should. I won't. Am what I am. :laugh:)

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

That said, I keep hitting refresh and that's not a good place to be. Think I need to chill.

(EDIT: BTW. That's just me talking to myself. I won't chill. I should. I won't. Am what I am. :laugh:)
What gives me confidence is the guys making the moves : Briere, Poulin/Staios, & the Sweenster all seem like they would do stuff like this

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Some posters are like chubby, acne pocked middle schoolers who haven't yet discovered shampoo at their first dance. Lined up against the wall with their buddies saying things like "I wouldn't dance with Mary Perkins if you paid me".

Of course Mary Perkins is very pretty, very nice, and in very high demand.:laugh:

Linus is a pending UFA and will not be here in 25/26 no matter what. And people have been nitpicking players like Chychrun and Konecny?!?!!?

Can't make this shit up.
Bruins need to add high end offense, some seem to think it can’t come from the backend and all dmen must be stout defensive only types.

With no bumper play and no point threat out PP is pretty easy to defend against

What gives me confidence is the guys making the moves : Briere, Poulin/Staios, & the Sweenster all seem like they would do stuff like this
Sweeney is committed to a three team hockey trade. The whole world benefits from that.

Reactions: Number8

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Gonzo

"If you have any physically imposing dmen better defensively than Lindholm/Carlo that also don’t turn the puck over under pressure feel free to throw their names out and what you think it would cost to acquire them"

You said these two would be a the Bruins shutdown guys, I disagreed as they are NOT a good pair and FAR from physical.

Im not going to waste my time on hypothetical fantasy trades or on players from other teams.

Lets use our own roster and use Peeke in that roll and mix in Wotherspoon once in a while (if he's not traded). Both Carlo and Lindholm combined are not as tough or physical as Peeke.

I will leave the fantasy acquisitions to others

I don’t think you understand what a shutdown pair is if you are advocating for Peeke/wotherspoon over Lindholm/Carlo.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Devils just traded a mid 2025 1 and Kevin Bahl, who I like and who has a future in this league for a mediocre goalie. An old mediocre goalie. Yes, retention but they are still paying him 4 mil plus.

In Ullmark, they would get an in your prime legit #1 goalie, with the chance to extend him and build around him, who was 88-26-10 the past three years with a .924 sv and 2.28gaa. Those are ELITE numbers and they should get a superb return.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019

Can't make this shit up.
That's about as shallow and dumb as it gets around here! Lol

Reactions: Hookslide

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I’m ok with that. I’d only move him for the right price no matter what. He has a lot of value imo.
I don't they should dump him for a bad return just to free up space, but it would be somewhat of a lost opportunity to not cash in on Ullmark as an asset considering we know Sway is the guy long term and Ullmark is likely walking.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I'm not. I think he still gets moved and would like to free up some money instead of having him walk next summer.
He could still get moved at the deadline. I wouldn’t trade him for peanuts. There is no rush. Lots of teams need a starting goalie.

Reactions: Sheppy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad