Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You can’t always tell when people are depressed, and many folks - especially young men, aren’t exactly forthcoming with that information. I’d imagine young hockey players don’t go around talking about depression and anxiety. This whole thing still seems unclear. Was he depressed? Did he just suffer from a bad bout of homesickness? Was he just a spoiled brat because he didn’t like Hartford? Some combination of the above? At least he sounds like he has it together now.
No one knows exactly who knew what when, or what exactly Anderson’s state of mind/emotional state was... Hence the middle ground I’ve taken that both sides COULD have handled it better and my avoiding demonizing either side.

In general I dont think it’s wild to suggest the team should try to be aware of what their teenage and early 20’s prospects might be going through, if for no other reason than to protect and maximize their assets.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No one knows exactly who knew what when, or what exactly Anderson’s state of mind/emotional state was... Hence the middle ground I’ve taken that both sides COULD have handled it better and my avoiding demonizing either side.

In general I dont think it’s wild to suggest the team should try to be aware of what their teenage and early 20’s prospects might be going through, if for no other reason than to protect and maximize their assets.
If you notice someone is experiencing some serious emotional or substance abuse issues, then absolutely you should try to help. However, the person needs to accept that help.

Further, I work in a field with a lot of men 20’s to 40’s. Most men suffer in silence and you might have a close relationship with someone and still not have any idea. So sure, the Rangers should try to help if they notice something. However, I doubt young hockey players are really showing that side of themselves in the dressing room.

Anyway, it’s all just speculation. Glad to see the kid is doing well and has a plan.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
If you notice someone is experiencing some serious emotional or substance abuse issues, then absolutely you should try to help. However, the person needs to accept that help.

Further, I work in a field with a lot of men 20’s to 40’s. Most men suffer in silence and you might have a close relationship with someone and still not have any idea. So sure, the Rangers should try to help if they notice something. However, I doubt young hockey players are really showing that side of themselves in the dressing room.

Anyway, it’s all just speculation. Glad to see the kid is doing well and has a plan.
Yeah I’m not saying the team should hire psychics hahaha, just to TRY to be on top of things and encourage players to be forthcoming if they are having issues. Nothing more.

Reactions: Barnaby

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I’m not saying the team should hire psychics hahaha, just to TRY to be on top of things and encourage players to be forthcoming if they are having issues. Nothing more.

Other teams have hired doctors to focus on mental health specifically. The Rangers as an organisation are still very conservative when it comes to these things. They haven't really committed to this "new wave" so to speak. We can argue all day whether that could have prevented issues like the one with Lias Andersson but if you read up on Dr Meg Popovic (Dir. of Athlete Wellbeing & Performance with the Maple Leafs) it's quite interesting to see their approach and I feel that, at the very least, the Rangers should embrace this rather than ignoring it.

Mental health goes far beyond depression. Imagine what a mental health coach could do for a player like Zibanejad.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Other teams have hired doctors to focus on mental health specifically. The Rangers as an organisation are still very conservative when it comes to these things. They haven't really committed to this "new wave" so to speak. We can argue all day whether that could have prevented issues like the one with Lias Andersson but if you read up on Dr Meg Popovic (Dir. of Athlete Wellbeing & Performance with the Maple Leafs) it's quite interesting to see their approach and I feel that, at the very least, the Rangers should embrace this rather than ignoring it.

Mental health goes far beyond depression. Imagine what a mental health coach could do for a player like Zibanejad.
The Rangers used to contract with several sports psychologists. I assume they still do. It would be weird to do it 10 years ago but not now.

EDIT: Assuming his LinkedIn and website are up to date, Dr. Frederick Neff is the primary sports psychologist for the Rangers.

His group provides, among other things:

Performance Enhancement Training
Athlete and Employee Counseling
Organizational/Resource Consultation
Pre-Draft Evaluation of Athletes

"Sport-Related Counseling - Most sport organizations have a human resource department that plays a critical role in managing various needs of its employees. However, when athletes have personal issues or concerns that need to be addressed, having a professional “outside” the organization with whom to talk can be extremely helpful. Meeting this need helps enhance the mindset, internal environment, outlook, and socialization of individual players of professional sport organizations."

Even if it's no longer this guy and his company, I'm sure they have something in place.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The Rangers used to contract with several sports psychologists. I assume they still do. It would be weird to do it 10 years ago but not now.

EDIT: Assuming his LinkedIn and website are up to date, Dr. Frederick Neff is the primary sports psychologist for the Rangers.

"Sport-Related Counseling - Most sport organizations have a human resource department that plays a critical role in managing various needs of its employees. However, when athletes have personal issues or concerns that need to be addressed, having a professional “outside” the organization with whom to talk can be extremely helpful. Meeting this need helps enhance the mindset, internal environment, outlook, and socialization of individual players of professional sport organizations."

Even if it's no longer this guy and his company, I'm sure they have something in place.
'Neff said

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In today's article by Molly Walker in the Post on Grant Patulny, she says that the expectation is that Trivigno and Matthew Robertson will not be qualified.

No surprise with Bobby T. Robertson is a surprise to me. Not because his play warranted an offer; I just thought they'd give him one last year to show something.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I also put this into the Emery thread.

In their post draft notes, Sean Shapiro and Cam Robinson on EP Ringside reported that Emery fell because of a non career altering medical issue that did not prevent Emery from performing well at the combine or continue his off season training program. I leave it to the doctors to speculate on what this could be but the Rangers' medical staff would have had the same medical information and must have deemed the condition either not serious or treatable. Shapiro and Robinson reported that other teams that had Emery high on their list were unwilling to use a first rounder on Emery because of this condition.

Reactions: kovazub94

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You can’t always tell when people are depressed, and many folks - especially young men, aren’t exactly forthcoming with that information. I’d imagine young hockey players don’t go around talking about depression and anxiety. This whole thing still seems unclear. Was he depressed? Did he just suffer from a bad bout of homesickness? Was he just a spoiled brat because he didn’t like Hartford? Some combination of the above? At least he sounds like he has it together now.
I've called for years for the Rangers to have a first tier psychologist on staff both before drafting, but also for players to go to during the regular season.

I've been laughed at and then the Oilers come out and say they have one.

Time for Drury to pick his own guy and Ciaccao this guy.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
i keep hoping we shift the draft focus from stockpiling marfan syndrome to stockpiling speed because there is an appalling absence of pace/dynamism at every single level of this organization. ffs how long is it gonna take them to figure out how badly they need it?

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I also put this into the Emery thread.

In their post draft notes, Sean Shapiro and Cam Robinson on EP Ringside reported that Emery fell because of a non career altering medical issue that did not prevent Emery from performing well at the combine or continue his off season training program. I leave it to the doctors to speculate on what this could be but the Rangers' medical staff would have had the same medical information and must have deemed the condition either not serious or treatable. Shapiro and Robinson reported that other teams that had Emery high on their list were unwilling to use a first rounder on Emery because of this condition.

the fairly recent past has promising results with pre-existing health issues

basket cases
lias
kravtsov
- busted because they were basket cases, although one was also missing talent so it didn't really matter.

diabeetus (not the fatabeetus kind)
kakko
-not sure how much it's impacted him, but he hasn't impacted the nhl

heart
cherepanov
-died

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He’s waiver pick up eligible in the upcoming season. He’s not likely to make the roster on the Rangers but as a still plenty young former 2nd rounder he’s at least 50/50 to be claimed.
I'd say it's like 90/10 he's not claimed. Dude hasn't been good for a few years now, has shown almost no progress. He's "sort of" young at 23 but pretty much every organization has at least one or two guys like him.

Ty Emberson had a similar profile, but with him he had been trending upwards and was the best D on Hartford the season before he was claimed.

I suppose anything is possible, but it's really hard for me to see anyone wanting to drop Matt Robertson into their top six.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'd say it's like 90/10 he's not claimed. Dude hasn't been good for a few years now, has shown almost no progress. He's "sort of" young at 23 but pretty much every organization has at least one or two guys like him.

Ty Emberson had a similar profile, but with him he had been trending upwards and was the best D on Hartford the season before he was claimed.

I suppose anything is possible, but it's really hard for me to see anyone wanting to drop Matt Robertson into their top six.
I understand but my guess is that it’s 50/50 probability rather than 90/10 that he’s staying. Some teams are in far different position re. giving Robertson a look in the NHL or even keeping him around as the 7th/8th spare.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

barbashev on the list...does he get a AHL deal?

Other than our unsigned draftees, he's one of just two guys there without a contract. Kale McCallum being the other. So it would seem they'll take a close look, as this isn't one of those camps where we have 10 extra guys to look at.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Other than our unsigned draftees, he's one of just two guys there without a contract. Kale McCallum being the other. So it would seem they'll take a close look, as this isn't one of those camps where we have 10 extra guys to look at.
Isaac Dufort doesn't have a contract either

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

Under the waiver rules the player if claimed has to stay on the NHL roster. Agree with nyr2k2 that it's hard to see anyone thinking he should be on an NHL team.

Isaac Dufort doesn't have a contract either
he has an AHL contract.

barbashev on the list...does he get a AHL deal?

The Rangers sent him to Hartford at the end of his season and now have him in the development camp. Sound like an AHL deal to me.

• Love
Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Usually the Rangers bring in several players to look at as possible AHL signees. Last camp there were 4 goalies, 12 defensemen and 20 forwards. This year 2 goalies, 9 defensemen and 18 forwards. It's not impossible the team brings in a player or two at the last minute. Hartford normally has about 10 contracts. There are five to date.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Usually the Rangers bring in several players to look at as possible AHL signees. Last camp there were 4 goalies, 12 defensemen and 20 forwards. This year 2 goalies, 9 defensemen and 18 forwards. It's not impossible the team brings in a player or two at the last minute. Hartford normally has about 10 contracts. There are five to date.
McCallum is a smallish 22 year old defenseman who was a point per game player in theQMJHL and then played Canadian college hockey last season. Sounds like a possible AHL signee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad