Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 10/12/2024)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Does he play center at the pro level,or will the Rangers move him to wing like other centers like Edstrom, Rempe, whick makes no sense to me 🤔

Hard to say but often guys who are centers in their European Leagues or College or the CHL end up mostly playing wing. I think people can get too stuck on the issue of centers but also one should keep in mind that often also a player will make it to the NHL because of his adaptability to take on situations or even lesser roles than they've had in other leagues.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It’s also important to note that there are twice as many wing roles vs centers position so by definition the competition for center spot is more limited with less opportunities.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It’s also important to note that there are twice as many wing roles vs centers position so by definition the competition for center spot is more limited with less opportunities.
True, but we have way more wings than centers in the system, so he'll actually have less competition there.

A lot of centers become wingers when they turn pro, but I think Laba could stick at center.

Laba (Northville, Mich.), took home two awards, winning NCHC Defensive Forward of the Year and the NCHC Three Stars Award. The sophomore claimed the goal-scoring title with 16 tallies in conference play, while his three short-handed goals and six game-winning goals also both led all NCHC players. The New York Rangers draft pick tied for third in conference scoring with 28 points to earn First-Team All-NCHC honors. Laba finished with a +19 mark in 24 NCHC games to lead all players. Overall this season, Laba leads the Tigers with 20 goals and 37 points in 36 games. He was named First Star of the Game seven times in conference play, tied for the most of any player, and earned 45 ‘Three Stars’ points to collect his Three Stars Award.

He is strong defensively, kills penalties, and was 57.1% on faceoffs last year. All of that, and given our dearth of prospect centers, will probably keep him in that position as a pro. If he shows that he can't be a center at the AHL/NHL level, then they can make the switch, but I think they'll definitely slot him as a center to start with.

Reactions: bhamill

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
True, but we have way more wings than centers in the system, so he'll actually have less competition there.

A lot of centers become wingers when they turn pro, but I think Laba could stick at center.

ut I think they'll definitely slot him as a center to start with.
It will be tough here too. He’ll be joining the organization in a year. At least a year in Hartford after will be a norm. From the contract perspective Zibanejad, Trocheck and Chytil will still be here. And even if not it goes to my original point - is he going to be good enough to be a center vs ALL other options potentially available including outside of the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad