Line Combos: 2024-2025 Powerplay Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is not my home Habs forum so i don't post here as much as elsewhere.

Here are my thoughts on our PP. It may sound confusing because I'm responding to someone and you don't see that post.

------

Because I'm a dumb fan and nowhere near the brilliance of MSL...

"During Carbonneau’s two full seasons as head coach the Canadiens had the best power play in the NHL. They ranked first during the 2006-07 season with a 22.8 per cent success rate and were first again in 2007-08 at 24.1 per cent. The Canadiens scored 86 power-play goals in 2006-07, led by Sheldon Souray with 19, and had 90 power-play goals in 2007-08, led by Alex Kovalev with 17."

Both of those years they had Markov quarterbacking and...Kovalev or Souray shooting. Souray was a brick when it came to vision but he had one of the hardest shots in the league and SUPRISE....he scored 19. Kovalev had a hard wrist shot from the top of the circle.

What we have NOW is a lot of perimeter and weak outside shooters. The hardest shots we have are X, followed by Mailman followed by Guhle. I have yet to see X on the power play or Mailman in the exhibition games. Same old BS from the same old players doing the same old thing run by the same old coach.

It's getting frustrating that it's so clear that PP after PP teams keep us to the outside and we keep trying to score from high angles or from unleashing powder puff shots from the top of the circle that even peewee goalies laugh at.

Even Einstein commented on our powerplay....Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former but I know Habs coaching the power play defines the later.

-------

I NEVER said the canon should be stationary. It's essential that defenseman move so to make guessing where the canon will fire. Also not all opposing players want to stand in front of a canon. THAT is the reason many freeze, mostly out of the way.

What i am saying is there MUST be a mobile quarterback, a canon and players that are willing to stay near or in front of the goalie. What i am saying that you need to change this stupid, wasteful, worthless one trick pony of passing around until you make the opposition dizzy. NONE of our current pp has a bomb that can beat the goalie so they depend on getting him out of position, which is NOT working.

What really pisses me off is how obvious the solution is and how worthless our coach is in seeing the obvious and implementing change. He's got a set of players that are NOT going to change because that is their only ability...and they are playing with what they are comfortable with

What I'm also saying that at this point, the failure rests with the coach and if he can't fix it or management brings people in to fix it they need to be changed.

BTW...X and Mailman and Guhle have canons with varying degree of control. Both power plays can practice with canons in the lineup.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
X in front of the goalie screening
CC on the goalline/OV spot
Slaf on the right wall
Suzuki Hutson on the blueline

Could lead to some all important rebound/tip goals that aren't pretty but count. You could also devise ways to use Xhekaj for his point shot with a set play, but really just parking him in front will let the others pounce on pucks. I think that's the best way to get the PP going. We need better net front presence to increase the goalmouth chances/activity. Once that gets established as a productive threat, PKers will have to play us differently and be more honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad