Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It comes down to what the coaches and front office think is needed. There could be a path to give Laine a shot. It will involve Cirelli as well who has not stepped up his scoring. Teams could use his defense game so he is not untradeable yet. As far as replacing him there is nothing wrong putting Paul in that role. What it would do is front load the top 6 with the offensive talent and the bottom 6 would again be a black hole for scoring.

Would it return the Bolts to be cup favorites no I don’t think it would. It hard to have such a talented core that has cashed in and remain the team to beat. We will probably be a wild card again and get tossed in round 1. I have been as tough on JBB than anyone but he did try to reset but the Cap is just not there until some more of the big contracts fall off.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think he'd be a perfect addition, just don't see how we do it.
Sheary,perbix, and some pieces they like. Just doesn't see it happening with the cap unless they would retain and we add more picks and prospects. I'd rather pass or buy low if possible on Laine.

Reactions: Master P

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Many options out there that are better and far less risky than Laine. Vatrano and Kuzmenko are just a couple of names. Moving Cirelli as part of making space, plus a ton of futures for Laine at this point would be one of the absolute worst moves JBB could do. Thankfully, he's not an idiot as GM so a move like that seems unlikely. If Laine could be had with 75% retention and Tampa didn't have to pay through the nose, then maybe; however, I don't see that as being realistic either.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Again Laine makes no sense
- 9 years younger
- would be under contract for only 2 years in case things don't work out (so no anchor contract)
- better 5v5 metrics than Stammer while offering the same PP upside
- could be acquired at a lower cap hit than what Stamkos was asking
- higher ceiling than Stamkos going forward

You can choose

Huh? Stamkos was looking for around 5M and we could've gotten him for nothing. We pay for Laine and extra for retention for a guy who has absolutely no use on his own? The only way he is even going to be remotely effective is if we staple him to Kucherov and why would we do that when Guentzel is a significantly better player.

Oh yeah he's ass defensively and a turnover machine.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
For all the crap Cirellis contract gets, I would much rather have it than the deal Konecny signed and most people think that was fair.

Laine is too much of a wild card to work at bringing him in. I mean if we had to pay no assets and we could get 75% retained I would consider it, but if Stamkos was made of glass than Laine is a porcelain doll on skates

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We already have Laine at home

IMG_5724.jpeg

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Much rather pay more for a guy like Foerster, only 22 and is a right handed shot that loves to shoot and can play in Stamkos' spot on the PP

Reactions: Night Shift

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
For all the crap Cirellis contract gets, I would much rather have it than the deal Konecny signed and most people think that was fair.

Laine is too much of a wild card to work at bringing him in. I mean if we had to pay no assets and we could get 75% retained I would consider it, but if Stamkos was made of glass than Laine is a porcelain doll on skates

I'd take Konecny and his higher ceiling over Cirelli. Put the former on a team with a mediocre PP and he's a 40+ goal scorer.

Reactions: Renopucker

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

I agree with Marty. As hard as it is to say goodbye, sometimes change is good for both sides and for Stammer, taking on a new challenge can also be a good thing personally and professionally.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Quite surprised he was not able to find an NHL team with interest in him.
Even at 32 teams, the league is still not too watered down.

Alex Nylander, JVR, Tony DeAngelo, Tyler Johnson, Tyson Barrie, Dominik Kubalik, Kevin Lankinen, Nick Cousins, Cal Clutterbuck, Oliver Kylington, all looking for NHL deals.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Even at 32 teams, the league is still not too watered down.

Alex Nylander, JVR, Tony DeAngelo, Tyler Johnson, Tyson Barrie, Dominik Kubalik, Kevin Lankinen, Nick Cousins, Cal Clutterbuck, Oliver Kylington, all looking for NHL deals.
Cross Nylander off as he signed a deal in the A with the Marlies.

JVR and Cousins still have some value, Kylington is an interesting reclamation project, but not really needed as we're stocked full on the left side.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Cross Nylander off as he signed a deal in the A with the Marlies.

JVR and Cousins still have some value, Kylington is an interesting reclamation project, but not really needed as we're stocked full on the left side.
An AHL deal doesn't prevent an NHL offer.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Cousins will be solid in the bottom 6 , but we need some guys that can produce goals. He isn't really a need for us, but he is a a proven depth piece for a cup run. Surprised JBburnt didnt offer multiple picks and extension for him like Jeannot from FLA.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Cousins will be solid in the bottom 6 , but we need some guys that can produce goals. He isn't really a need a a proven depth piece for a cup run. Surprised Jeannot didnt offer multiple picks and extension for him like Jeannot from FLA.
He's an absolute piece of shit individual. I'd rather dress 11 forwards than see him in a Lightning sweater. Ever. It's one thing to sign a pest like Perry but to sign a cheap shotting prick like Nick Cousins is entirely different. One of the faces in the league I despise and wish would retire early or go to Europe. He's going to end somebody's career the way he plays.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
He's an absolute piece of shit individual. I'd rather dress 11 forwards than see him in a Lightning sweater. Ever. It's one thing to sign a pest like Perry but to sign a cheap shotting prick like Nick Cousins is entirely different. One of the faces in the league I despise and wish would retire early or go to Europe. He's going to end somebody's career the way he plays.
Gotta agree with that. We've had our LiPumas, Tuckers, Downies and others--but nothing like Cousins. Complete Dbag IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad