Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
JBB did a great job of loading up to help this core win 2 cups. He’s made some mistakes the last couple years, especially the Jeannot deal which probably cost the Bolts Hanifin at the TDL due to a lack of assets.

That said what he’s done this offseason is acknowledge his mistakes and attempt to retool the roster. I don’t know how well it’s going to work but I do expect improved defensive play. I HATE that Stammer is gone but outside an amazing last 10-15 games he didn’t look like a top 6 forward to anyone 5v5.

The PP will take a hit but the Lightning are betting Kuch and company can figure it out with the high end talent on the team. That’s a reasonable bet. Regardless of who is captain, McDonough steps into the room to help fill the leadership void.

What’s been done is exciting from the standpoint that we KNEW the team iced last year wasn’t gonna win a cup. Now we can see if this team can gel, make a deadline move to round out the 2nd line, pray they stay relatively healthy and perhaps make a run this summer.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I need a u24 player to have a big camp and earn a spot. And if that doesn't happen, then our veterans will have to overachieve.
I think we need both. We need a good sign that a rookie/prospect can fit into a Ross Colton type roll. We also need our vets like Cirelli, Atkinson and Sheary to all provide positive offensive upside. Atkinson to net, say 15+ goals. Cirelli 20+ goals, closer to 60pts and Sheary to not be a pylon.

What combination is making up for the missing 30+ goals from Stammer this year, half on the PP and half 5 on 5. The hope is Guentzel, so that may be a wash. But we still need him to come in here and be, at minimum, a 70pt guy

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I wonder if Huberdeau 50% retained and then add a 3rd team for another 50% at the TDL is something to consider. Guy did kind of fall off a cliff in Calgary, but he put up great numbers in Florida and wasn't always paired with Barkov. I feel like he could return back to form in our top 6.

Problem is he has 4 years left, I think Calgary has to retain to move him, but finding a 3rd team willing to retain 2.5mil for 4 years would be tough

Reactions: Peacefool

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I wonder if Huberdeau 50% retained and then add a 3rd team for another 50% at the TDL is something to consider. Guy did kind of fall off a cliff in Calgary, but he put up great numbers in Florida and wasn't always paired with Barkov. I feel like he could return back to form in our top 6.

Problem is he has 4 years left, I think Calgary has to retain to move him, but finding a 3rd team willing to retain 2.5mil for 4 years would be tough
Hubs is a playmaker though. Who he’d pass to, Cirelli?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
JBB's flop era was when he was handing out contracts to Cirelli, Cernak, and Sergachev, and trading for Jeannot.

He was betting, and paying, on potential.

We got Guentzel and McD this summer. Known quantities.
Yeah, I think that's true. To me the key mistake was moving McDonagh as a negative asset rather than a forward when, at the time, we were much deeper at forward. I guess that also was a bet on Sergachev progressing defensively, much like the contract.

I think you have to give JBB a lot of credit for correcting the mistake though. I mean, maybe McDonagh comes back and now he's just too old, but at least we are trying to balance the defense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I wouldn't touch Huberdeau unless we could get the retention up to 75. Even at his best, he didn't play a playoff style. That's a big part of why Florida got so much better with Tkachuk. That might go down as one of the better bold moves in NHL history.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

First of all Hubby sucks. Second of all, where the hell did you get 4 years left? He has 7 years left on his contract. Last season was the first of his new contract. You are asking not only Calgary to retain $5.25M for 7 years, you are asking another team to retain another $2.625M for 7 years. What in the hell do you expect to value is going to be? Its not going to be some simple couple picks or prospects. This is no small ask.

Just think about it in a Dollar Value wise.

We would have to pay Calgary $36.75M in value.
A third team $18.375M in value.

That's just asinine. He's also 31.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah pass on Huby. He's gonna be a buyout candidate in 2 years. I know we overpaid for Guentzel but he's closer to what we need to succeed and Huby is the kind of guy we need to move away from
Exactly what we need, a guy who doesn't play D and is nothing but a pass first guy who is signed for 7 more years at $10.5M/Y and considered the worst Contract in the NHL.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
First of all Hubby sucks. Second of all, where the hell did you get 4 years left? He has 7 years left on his contract. Last season was the first of his new contract. You are asking not only Calgary to retain $5.25M for 7 years, you are asking another team to retain another $2.625M for 7 years. What in the hell do you expect to value is going to be? Its not going to be some simple couple picks or prospects. This is no small ask.

Just think about it in a Dollar Value wise.

We would have to pay Calgary $36.75M in value.
A third team $18.375M in value.

That's just asinine. He's also 31.
chill-daddy.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
NHL.com has a Czech version, with some of its own content.

Kubalik
Even in mid-June, he himself shrugged resignedly that he was not aware of any interest. And in July, there was only one more serious contact: not from the NHL, but from the Swiss league, from where the Ambri-Piotta team called.

Kubalik scored 8 points in 10 World Championship games this season, so he's not completely washed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad