2024-2025 Blues Trade Proposals Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
That’s honestly not a real offer.

Philly is pretty much retooling on the fly like the Blues.

You want them to trade you a top 6 C, who’s 25, and your best offer is Dean and Saad?
Thats fair but we're talking about a guy that barely got to 40pts and was benched a number of times during the season.

He has clear potential but at the same time I see a clear 2C as someone in the 50-60+pt range and at 25 I'm not paying a premium for potential anymore, especially when offense is what they are known for.

So yeah a guy who's on a solid contract for 2 more years, coming off 27 goals and I'd think easily tradeable for a 2nd+ along with a former 1st rounder that has pretty clear 3C upside isn't terrible.

Maybe that's not enough and thats fine. I wouldn't pay much more than that due to Dvorsky coming soon and I also believe Holloway could become a good 2-way C if his wrist issues aren't a problem where he fits more on the wing moving forward.

I get where you're coming from though.

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
Thoughts on what Saad could get if you retained on his contract? I was thinking a second-round pick, maybe?
I was thinking a 2nd without retention. $4.5mil is not a lot for a 25 goal scorer who is solid both ways, can pk or pp and still skates well. Especially with 2yrs remaining.

Reactions: mk80

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Thoughts on what Saad could get if you retained on his contract? I was thinking a second-round pick, maybe?
2nd round pick and 50% retained. It's a done deal. Place a wager now. And hopefully that 2nd rounder is not @65. If an ultra-top, Cup-contending team wants Saad, then it's a 2nd with 50%, plus a 3rd.

The worse the receiving team is, the lower the cost.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't have any interest in moving Saad right now unless a team (that he's willing to waive for) makes an offer that is just way too good to pass up. I don't see his value going down by a meaningful amount in the next 6-18 months, so I'd prefer to pass up any non-absurd trade package and let him support our middle 6 for now.

He's above average defensively and he's a near lock to score at a 20 goal pace with middle 6 and PP2 deployment. He's exactly the type of vet I want out there with guys like Bolduc, Texier, and Holloway as we try to develop them on the NHL roster.

I think the value that he brings as a quality support player for our developing players is worth more than locking in a 2nd rounder now instead of getting a return in the future. His trade protection lessens next summer and his actual salary goes down. I don't think we'll have any issue moving him for a comparable return for what we'd get now if we wait.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Our trade position is a somewhat interesting one. I feel like our range of possibilities this season is pretty wide. I could 100% see us making the playoffs if Broberg continues his play from the playoffs and breaks out, goalies maintain their level, Bolduc has a solid offensive season, and the bottom 6 provides what they need to, solid defense from Faksa line, overall energy, and improved scoring. At the same time, Broberg could flop, bottom 6 could just be a disaster with different pieces, and we are once again out of the playoffs.

If we are out of the playoffs again, let's try to sell some pieces and regain some picks, but if things are going well, I think we will push for the playoffs. Not in a true buying sense, but guys like Saad and Faksa will be kept.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'll be honest I think regardless of how the Blues do this season I don't want to see us buy. I would only trade our 1st for a prospect drafted in the last few years with upside that matches the draft position were trading away. Even if successful I think that over the next two years, probably summer time moves, we will see the Blues trade away Saad and Faulk as we transition in the next wave of players.

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
Barring a 82-0 season I don't see army buying anything. He's spent quite a few picks this off-season. However, the only way I see army selling is if they crap the bed and it's a disappointing year.

If they are playoff bound, I think the team stays together as a reward for great play. Next year imo will be when some of the older guys get moved.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'll be honest I think regardless of how the Blues do this season I don't want to see us buy. I would only trade our 1st for a prospect drafted in the last few years with upside that matches the draft position were trading away. Even if successful I think that over the next two years, probably summer time moves, we will see the Blues trade away Saad and Faulk as we transition in the next wave of players.
I think we only buy in the same scenario that Army has talked about, a player that fits this next core that they are building. Going after a vet rental, don't see it happening. Going after a player that's around 26 or younger and fills a need, I think we are in those discussions.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I could see a situation where Army does some minor tweaking on the fly at the deadline. But definitely no major buys if we are playoff position.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Our trade position is a somewhat interesting one. I feel like our range of possibilities this season is pretty wide. I could 100% see us making the playoffs if Broberg continues his play from the playoffs and breaks out, goalies maintain their level, Bolduc has a solid offensive season, and the bottom 6 provides what they need to, solid defense from Faksa line, overall energy, and improved scoring. At the same time, Broberg could flop, bottom 6 could just be a disaster with different pieces, and we are once again out of the playoffs.

If we are out of the playoffs again, let's try to sell some pieces and regain some picks, but if things are going well, I think we will push for the playoffs. Not in a true buying sense, but guys like Saad and Faksa will be kept.
I mostly agree, but I think that our high end is higher than simply 'making the playoffs' if all of the bolded plays out. To be clear, I don't expect all of the bolded to pan out. However, if it does that is a number of large upgrades from last year's team. Adding a 2nd pair D man, a scoring threat to the middle 6, and getting good bottom 6 play would be a tangibly upgrading our 3 biggest weaknesses from last season. If we continue to get top 5 goaltending, that is a team that could make the playoffs with a real chance of doing something. Not winning 4 rounds, but winning 1 and potentially 2 rounds wouldn't be out of the question.

Now, I don't expect Broberg's playoff performance to be his new normal and I expect a number of rough nights as he (hopefully) grows into a legit top 4 guy. I also expect an up and down rookie season from Bolduc. I think that the 4th line is a pretty good bet to do what you describe, but I'm not sure how the 3rd line will look. As we sit here today, I wouldn't bet on us to win a playoff round this year.

But I do think that the top end of our potential outcomes this year is higher than simply squeaking in to the playoffs to get demolished in round 1.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I mostly agree, but I think that our high end is higher than simply 'making the playoffs' if all of the bolded plays out. To be clear, I don't expect all of the bolded to pan out. However, if it does that is a number of large upgrades from last year's team. Adding a 2nd pair D man, a scoring threat to the middle 6, and getting good bottom 6 play would be a tangibly upgrading our 3 biggest weaknesses from last season. If we continue to get top 5 goaltending, that is a team that could make the playoffs with a real chance of doing something. Not winning 4 rounds, but winning 1 and potentially 2 rounds wouldn't be out of the question.

Now, I don't expect Broberg's playoff performance to be his new normal and I expect a number of rough nights as he (hopefully) grows into a legit top 4 guy. I also expect an up and down rookie season from Bolduc. I think that the 4th line is a pretty good bet to do what you describe, but I'm not sure how the 3rd line will look. As we sit here today, I wouldn't bet on us to win a playoff round this year.

But I do think that the top end of our potential outcomes this year is higher than simply squeaking in to the playoffs to get demolished in round 1.

I think that sums it up. Peak season scenario we eek out a round 1 win, and make an unexpected 2nd round exit. I think we realistically finish the season within 2 points of the playoff line in the west (above or below it), if we ourselves aren't the Cut-off.

I expect a margin point improvement this year on our 92 points last season, with a training camp and full season under Bannister, as his familiarity with most of our young players strengths/weaknesses will allow him to draw out their best on ice performance.

As you said previously, there's been some improvement in the bottom 6 forward personnel this year. I believe that Bannister's understanding of our 5-7D will allow him to work with them a little better. Where Broberg fits in that mix is less certain, he could easily be the #3 guy ahead of Faulk in aTOI per game by the end of the season, or he could be the 6/7 guy for the year (I certainly hope not, but it's a possibility he's press box material for 10-20 games). I think it's fairly safe to assume Parayko, Leddy and Faulk get #1-3 mins until the 4 Nations tournament, but I think watching our D and usage thereof will be its own saga to follow this year.

I suspect DAL/COL will win the division, and I don't favor us in a best of 7 against either one, expecting a 1-4 or 2-4 loss in the first round against the division winner.

Things get a tad murkier if we cross over for a Pacific matchup, as I feel we match up a little better against VAN/EDM who I imagine finish 1st/2nd in the Pacific.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I suspect DAL/COL will win the division, and I don't favor us in a best of 7 against either one, expecting a 1-4 or 2-4 loss in the first round against the division winner.
I have no clue what to expect out of Colorado. It very much sounds like Landeskog will be playing at some point this year and who knows what he will be able to bring after 2 years of injury recovery. Nichuskin didn't seek to terminate his NHL deal to sign in the KHL, so it looks like he'll be back on the roster in November when his suspension expires. At the moment, they need to clear $3M-4M in cap space to fit both. Who gets traded to free up that space? They don't have their 1st or 3rd in 2025, so are they able to bring in a rental to address whatever hole is created?

I could see them being one of the shallowest playoff teams in the league this year. The top end talent can be enough to dominate a weaker opponent, but I could also see them being dispatched in round 1 like they were by Seattle a couple years ago. Especially if Landeskog is a shell of himself.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I have no clue what to expect out of Colorado. It very much sounds like Landeskog will be playing at some point this year and who knows what he will be able to bring after 2 years of injury recovery. Nichuskin didn't seek to terminate his NHL deal to sign in the KHL, so it looks like he'll be back on the roster in November when his suspension expires. At the moment, they need to clear $3M-4M in cap space to fit both. Who gets traded to free up that space? They don't have their 1st or 3rd in 2025, so are they able to bring in a rental to address whatever hole is created?

I could see them being one of the shallowest playoff teams in the league this year. The top end talent can be enough to dominate a weaker opponent, but I could also see them being dispatched in round 1 like they were by Seattle a couple years ago. Especially if Landeskog is a shell of himself.

I very much expect the McKinnon, Rantanen, Makar and to a lesser extent Toews core to be very top heavy in scoring through the regular season.

I concur that talent falls off substantially when you look at the next tier of talent/question marks in Drouin, Mittelstadt, Lehkonen, Landeskog, Nichuskin, Girard and Manson.

Then the rest of the roster isn't particularly noteworthy and their goaltending hasn't been outstanding recently either.

But that star caliber top end reminds me alot of the McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Nurse core that led Edmonton to finish 2nd in the Pacific for the past 5 years while losing in the 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd and 4th rounds respectively.

Colorado lost depth over the last few years, but their top end talent will net them a divisional seed if healthy, with or without Landeskog. I have a difficult time imagining them falling to 3rd in the central and don't forsee them falling into a WC spot for another few years unless McKinnon misses 20+ games in a given year.

Edits 1 & 2: italicized, reworded for clarity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad