2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
TECHNICALLY he can still be traded until next season. I’m ok with this deal though. I still think Kyrou is traded soon. Saad maybe this upcoming TDL.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'd have preferred a touch less (either 1 fewer year or an AAV in the mid-to-high 7s on a 6 year deal), but I have no problem with the finances of the deal. I'd absolutely, unambiguously prefer this deal to a ton of other deals given out yesterday. I see the argument for trading him instead if the return was massive, but without knowing a potential 'this haul was on the table' detail I can't say that was automatically the best move. A likely-late 1st and a B-tier prospect don't move the needle for me much compared to this extension.

He makes everyone he plays with better and even if he starts to decline before we've truly re-opened a window, I think that trait is a massive, tangible benefit to developing the young players who will be the next core. Years 1 and 2 of this deal are the years I think all of us expect Dvorsky, Snuggy, and Bolduc to really bully their ways into the middle and top 6. That's a lot of guys learning to defend and drive play at the NHL level at one time and Kyrou is not a guy who will help cover them defensively. Neither is Schenn. Saad may or may not be able to do it in 2025/26 and will almost certainly not be back after that. Without Buch, Thomas would have been the only top 6 caliber producer that could also help cover rookie mistakes.

I don't think I can overstate the value of having a guy like Buch to help cover for those rookies on whatever line Thomas isn't on as our wave of young forwards ease into the NHL. I think there is a real argument that Buch earns this money (and future tough cap considerations) simply by what he does to help the next wave of forwards in the first 2 years of the deal.

I'm not jumping up and down since trading him was a path to accumulate assets, but I'm pretty pumped that I can pull the trigger on the #89 I've been wanting to throw on the blank jersey sitting in my closet.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And I'm not huge on him playing center, so we'll see how that goes, if it actually happens, but having him and Thomas with guys like Bolduc, Dvorsky, and Snuggerud coming up will be huge. I think they helped Neighbours blossom as opposed to Neighbours being glued to decling or just bad linemates.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Well, Army did reference a deal where both sides would have to be comfortably uncomfortable. This is it IMO. I would’ve preferred fewer years or less AAV or to have traded him but it’s unlikely to be a disaster contract.

Just not sure how well a 34-36 year old Buch making $8M/year fits into the new core in a few years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well, Army did reference a deal where both sides would have to be comfortably uncomfortable. This is it IMO. I would’ve preferred fewer years or less AAV or to have traded him but it’s unlikely to be a disaster contract.

Just not sure how well a 34-36 year old Buch making $8M/year fits into the new core in a few years.
Enough ELCs to balance it out, if all goes well. Just age better than Schenn.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I’m not mad about this. That’s a fair contract for both sides.

The term is pretty ideal because I think the chances of Buch accepting 5 years or less was slim, unless we way overpaid.

6 years really isn’t bad because Buch is a late birthday, so he’s still only going to be 35 years old for the entirety of the last regular season on this deal. That’s not super old, and he should be an effective player until at least age 33-34. This is different than signing someone until they’re 37-38 like a lot of teams did in free agency yesterday.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

Think Steen, 4th line, Cup winning team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad