2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I see a lot of people down on the roster, but a full training camp of Bannister and Julien may go a long way towards finding some familiarity and consistency with the roster.

The roster itself is no weaker than the one that just got 92-points after an abysmal start under Berube. And if you factor in the addition by subtraction of Hayes, Vrana, Scandella & Blais I don’t see how they’re noticeably worse than last year.

On the flip-side, barring some major steps in development from Bolduc, Dean, Neighbors, Texier or the $8.25M men, I don’t see how the club is materially better. Kapanen, Faulk, Schenn & Buchie could all very well have bounce-back years…but then again, it’s hard to see the goalies, Parayko, Thomas, Leddy & Torpochenko being as good as they were last season.

They still look too good to finish with a top-10 draft pick, but the upside is a first-round beat-down at the hands of an actual good club.

I do expect Army to try to make a big move to push them a little more firmly in playoff contention; otherwise the Hayes deal was simply an admission that playoff revenue ain’t coming and attendance may be lean as the club falls out of contention.

He’s clearly more concerned with the future than the present, so maybe the Hayes deal really was all about money and what you see is what you get…but I just have a hard time believing that there isn’t at least one major trade coming to improve the short-term fortunes of the club. The pipeline is full enough to deal from without harming the future…and I think Army has an aversion to drafting top-10, because that’s a tough situation to escape long-term.

Outlook: 9th in the West, drafting #16
😂

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I see a lot of people down on the roster, but a full training camp of Bannister and Julien may go a long way towards finding some familiarity and consistency with the roster.

The roster itself is no weaker than the one that just got 92-points after an abysmal start under Berube. And if you factor in the addition by subtraction of Hayes, Vrana, Scandella & Blais I don’t see how they’re noticeably worse than last year.

On the flip-side, barring some major steps in development from Bolduc, Dean, Neighbors, Texier or the $8.25M men, I don’t see how the club is materially better. Kapanen, Faulk, Schenn & Buchie could all very well have bounce-back years…but then again, it’s hard to see the goalies, Parayko, Thomas, Leddy & Torpochenko being as good as they were last season.

They still look too good to finish with a top-10 draft pick, but the upside is a first-round beat-down at the hands of an actual good club.

I do expect Army to try to make a big move to push them a little more firmly in playoff contention; otherwise the Hayes deal was simply an admission that playoff revenue ain’t coming and attendance may be lean as the club falls out of contention.

He’s clearly more concerned with the future than the present, so maybe the Hayes deal really was all about money and what you see is what you get…but I just have a hard time believing that there isn’t at least one major trade coming to improve the short-term fortunes of the club. The pipeline is full enough to deal from without harming the future…and I think Army has an aversion to drafting top-10, because that’s a tough situation to escape long-term.
The best case scenario is probably having the injury bug and losing worse than the roster deserves, getting a top 10 or better pick, and then starting a rise in contender status next season after.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Hayes was a 30 point player with 3rd line minutes. Not great, but not replacement level or below either. Scandella was better than anyone we have to replace him. Vrana was gone all season. So we already subtracted him. Unless we get strong progress from our kids. We get worse on paper (guys stepping up could change that obviously). I don't buy the addition by subtraction here. At the very least we lost injury depth on D.

Reactions: Celtic Note

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Hayes was a 30 point player with 3rd line minutes. Not great, but not replacement level or below either. Scandella was better than anyone we have to replace him. Vrana was gone all season. So we already subtracted him. Unless we get strong progress from our kids. We get worse on paper (guys stepping up could change that obviously). I don't buy the addition by subtraction here. At the very least we lost injury depth on D.
I would argue that Hayes was an outright negative on most nights, he just can't keep up at an NHL level anymore, gotta be one of the slowest skaters I have ever seen lace up with the Blues.

I agree on Scandella though, I thought he was solid last season in a third pairing, shutdown role. I don't think Tucker can replace that currently, and Peru is a totally different type of player.

Reactions: STLegend

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
There is a shoot-the-moon possibility now that Lindstein-Jiricek is the future top pair and moreover that it's elite enough in what, 4 years? with Parayko and Kessel to bring the Blues back to contending. It probably requires Dvorsky to be a real backbone top six center with Thomas.

But there's no backup plan (besides indefinitely sucking) if they don't pan out

It's a flimsy vision and I don't trust the messenger to be honest about it

Reactions: taylord22

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I would argue that Hayes was an outright negative on most nights, he just can't keep up at an NHL level anymore, gotta be one of the slowest skaters I have ever seen lace up with the Blues.

I agree on Scandella though, I thought he was solid last season in a third pairing, shutdown role. I don't think Tucker can replace that currently, and Peru is a totally different type of player.
Hayes was not a very good player and while he was terrible to watch, his play wasn’t necessary terrible all year. So I am not sure removing him was addition by subtraction (maybe that proves to be true). We still have to have someone play center. Who is that player and are they better than Hayes?

This also likely means that Schenn is our #2 center, with no support for when he goes through his prolonged lulls. The #2 and #3 center slots have been a point of decline for nearly two seasons now. Can we expect better from our center positions by simply subtracting Hayes or is a continued decline the most likely scenario?

This also likely means more stain on Thomas, as he will have to carry even more of the weight.

Personally, I hope they don’t throw Dvo right into the NHL. I would love to see him get no less than a half season in the AHL first. Let him acclimate to playing against men before playing him in the best league against the best players.

This all assumes we stay as currently assembled and as others have noted it’s still early in the off-season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Hayes was 3rd on the team in GF% despite a slightly more heavily defensive role. He won key faceoffs. He looked ugly but was a net positive on the scoreboard at ES. I won't miss him, but just eliminating his role is a loss. Hopefully Texier can replace some of what he brought plus more while being a better fit.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Hayes was 3rd on the team in GF% despite a slightly more heavily defensive role. He won key faceoffs. He looked ugly but was a net positive on the scoreboard at ES. I won't miss him, but just eliminating his role is a loss. Hopefully Texier can replace some of what he brought plus more while being a better fit.

I just can't believe that the analytics are what they are. He seemed to be rarely in the d zone. He also seemed to be rarely a factor in terms of producing opportunities for linemates. I get that he didn't really have a lot to work with in Kapanen/Vrana/Torpo/Whomever was thrown in there. But I don't think he helps anyone that's on his line either. He has some use in a possession style game, but he seemingly was never put with possession style players. I'd agree that eliminating the role somewhat hurts. We're pretty much pinned into either having Buch and Schenn down the middle or pushing a young player to take the spot like a Dvorsky or Dean even if they aren't ready.

We've seen a lot of Schenn and Buch as centers. In my opinion Buch looks pretty good there, but i don't think he really knows how to win a faceoff, which is a problem in it's own right.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There is a shoot-the-moon possibility now that Lindstein-Jiricek is the future top pair and moreover that it's elite enough in what, 4 years? with Parayko and Kessel to bring the Blues back to contending. It probably requires Dvorsky to be a real backbone top six center with Thomas.

But there's no backup plan (besides indefinitely sucking) if they don't pan out

It's a flimsy vision and I don't trust the messenger to be honest about it
How many more years of effective Parayko should we reasonably expect?

I agree the team needs to acquire a top 2-3 defender through other means.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I just can't believe that the analytics are what they are. He seemed to be rarely in the d zone. He also seemed to be rarely a factor in terms of producing opportunities for linemates. I get that he didn't really have a lot to work with in Kapanen/Vrana/Torpo/Whomever was thrown in there. But I don't think he helps anyone that's on his line either. He has some use in a possession style game, but he seemingly was never put with possession style players. I'd agree that eliminating the role somewhat hurts. We're pretty much pinned into either having Buch and Schenn down the middle or pushing a young player to take the spot like a Dvorsky or Dean even if they aren't ready.

We've seen a lot of Schenn and Buch as centers. In my opinion Buch looks pretty good there, but i don't think he really knows how to win a faceoff, which is a problem in it's own right.

The faceoffs are key. Up or tied late with a faceof in your zone and a man down, I want Hayes out there easily over Buch who is a much better player because I want the extra 25% chance to win that faceoff.

• Haha
Reactions: STLegend

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder what the internal expectation is with Sylvegard. Do they think he can make the roster, is he expected to mainly be an AHL player for a bit, or will he go back to Sweden if he doesn't make it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Per Seravalli and Friedman, we’re trading for both Radek Faksa and Mathieu Joseph. No word on returns yet.

Two separate deals. I hope these are cap dumps and don't cost much to acquire as I don't think either are vast improvements over Hayes for roughly the same amount each. Faksa is solid D center so would fill that role but has little offense. Joseph us a good 3rd line winger but as stated we have younger prospects to play at wing.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad