2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Same for Binner. Bottom 10 team if either one was to miss the season. Maybe bottom 5 if both are out.
I see way more potential for Hofer to let us tread water through a Binner injury than i do in our D group letting us tread water through a Parayko injury. Asking Hofer to take the 'next step and handle a starter workload for 1-2 months seems like a much more reasonable ask than portioning out Parayko's minutes/role and expecting adequate results.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I see way more potential for Hofer to let us tread water through a Binner injury than i do in our D group letting us tread water through a Parayko injury. Asking Hofer to take the 'next step and handle a starter workload for 1-2 months seems like a much more reasonable ask than portioning out Parayko's minutes/role and expecting adequate results.
I agree over a couple months, but I think we'd be sunk if Binner was out closer to a whole season. Hofer suddenly getting a starter's workload with Zherenko or whoever else backing him up would be a lot to overcome, unless Hofer took a major step forward.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
So where does Kyrou rank on the list?
He wasn't on there. It went like this:

1. Jonathan Huberdeau
2. Chandler Stephenson
3. Tom Wilson
4. Colton Parayko
5. Damon Severson
6. Mark Scheifele
7. Sean Couterier
8. Seth Jones
9. Darnell Nurse
10. Tyler Seguin
HM: Dubois, Vlasic, Gibson, Josh Anderson, and Brendan Gallagher

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He wasn't on there. It went like this:

1. Jonathan Huberdeau
2. Chandler Stephenson
3. Tom Wilson
4. Colton Parayko
5. Damon Severson
6. Mark Scheifele
7. Sean Couterier
8. Seth Jones
9. Darnell Nurse
10. Tyler Seguin
HM: Dubois, Vlasic, Gibson, Josh Anderson, and Brendan Gallagher

The fact that he has Parayko ranked worse than pretty much everyone below him on the list tells me all I need to know about Dom's knowledge of the Blues or hockey in general. What a joke lol

Reactions: The Electrician

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I like Blues players to have a ton of integrity and grit. Those are the kinds of players I prefer, because it reminds me of when I walked by myself across America with a backpack and a tent and a journal for the better part two years, including listening to the Blues Wings series on shortwave radio in 1996. That's why the opening chapter canon business school book Good to Great about companies uses the example of a person planning a long 20 mile/day walk over a vast distance. The author is hoping people who read the book will decide to have the kind of personal integrity and intellectual honesty required to be great in life and in business. I recommend the book!

Like others, I enjoy sports when I can relate to players as people. I love to give my honest opinions about the Blues, and I take pride in my accountability and always always have. Always. But of course that takes integrity and having a deep sense of oneself. I think it's the winning formula for players in a hockey team. It's what people like Dvorsky have, the relentless willingness to improve.

It's tough in hockey when refs are blatantly targeting you, and you can tell that the ref has no integrity, like a ref who gambles. There's only one thing you can do in a situation like that. You remind yourself that you care about integrity and that you have a higher standard. I mean a guy like the recently acquired Ryan Suter, he doesn't have it. Why bring that in on purpose? I mean, yes, places do that all the time, they bring in cancers and actively encourage a total lack of integrity among your group. But what kind of decision is that?

I brought up the relationship to observing sports and the qualities that athletes have because they're right on point. I hope the example of some of the things I've been able to do will encourage others to make intellectual honesty a bedrock. For example, I attribute my honesty to see the Petro decision clearly for what it was in real time. You can't be an unreliable narrator and see that situation squarely. I suspect that those who truly lack honesty, project it onto others, probably the embarrassment of having been so consequentially wrong about the single most important Blues decision combined with never having owned up to it. (But that's just informed observation of people over time talking.)

Incidentally it's why I don't like Jordan Kyrou. I disdain people with talent who do not work to maximize it. I believe that the people who do will defeat the people who don't, and I don't want the Blues to be defeated.

Last edited:

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Would you be ok with paying a 1st and a 3rd as compensation to sign Broberg?
In a vacuum I would. For the Blues right now? Probably not because of where we are likely to finish next season. If I knew we were a solid playoff team/contender, the decision would be much easier.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I like Blues players to have a ton of integrity and grit. Those are the kinds of players I prefer, because it reminds me of when I walked by myself across America with a backpack and a tent and a journal for the better part two years, including listening to the Blues Wings series on shortwave radio in 1996. That's why the opening chapter canon business school book Good to Great about companies uses the example of a person planning a long 20 mile/day walk over a vast distance. The author is hoping people who read the book will decide to have the kind of personal integrity and intellectual honesty required to be great in life and in business. I recommend the book!

Like others, I enjoy sports when I can relate to players as people. I love to give my honest opinions about the Blues, and I take pride in my accountability and always always have. Always. But of course that takes integrity and having a deep sense of oneself. I think it's the winning formula for players in a hockey team. It's what people like Dvorsky have, the relentless willingness to improve.

It's tough in hockey when refs are blatantly targeting you, and you can tell that the ref has no integrity, like a ref who gambles. There's only one thing you can do in a situation like that. You remind yourself that you care about integrity and that you have a higher standard. I mean a guy like the recently acquired Ryan Suter, he doesn't have it. Why bring that in on purpose? I mean, yes, places do that all the time, they bring in cancers and actively encourage a total lack of integrity among your group. But what kind of decision is that?

I brought up the relationship to observing sports and the qualities that athletes have because they're right on point. I hope the example of some of the things I've been able to do will encourage others to make intellectual honesty a bedrock. For example, I attribute my honesty to see the Petro decision clearly for what it was in real time. You can't be an unreliable narrator and see that situation squarely. I suspect that those who truly lack honesty, project it onto others, probably the embarrassment of having been so consequentially wrong about the single most important Blues decision combined with never having owned up to it. (But that's just informed observation of people over time talking.)

Incidentally it's why I don't like Jordan Kyrou. I disdain people with talent who do not work to maximize it. I believe that the people who do will defeat the people who don't, and I don't want the Blues to be defeated.
I find that the subject of integrity, and even more, the subject of self-awareness, is very important when discussing players and management, as well as deals and contracts, in a format such as this. There is a matrix that you can envision, with four distinct quadrants, that one can use as a guide as to whether the discussion in which they are engaged meets the desired levels of integrity and self-awareness.

In Quadrant 1, both parties are in agreement about the subject and are discussing the matter with honesty and integrity, fully self-aware of when they are truly discussing facts and when they are merely discussing opinions.

In Quadrant 2, the parties disagree, but they do so in a way that is respectful, making their arguments with honesty and integrity, and adhering diligently to the precepts in Quadrant 1 regarding distinguishing facts from opinions. Both parties feel heard and respected, and often opinions are swayed by the quality of the argument.

In Quadrant 3, we see two parties in disagreement, but while one party is in full possession of the differences between facts and opinions, the other party confuses the two concepts, often resorting to doing so with the full knowledge and intent of doing so. It is here that we see the honesty and integrity so paramount to civil discussion start to erode.

In Quadrant 4, we see two parties in agreement, but while one party is in full possession of the differences between facts and opinions and makes sound and rational arguments, the other party confuses the concepts of facts and opinion, and decides to create controversy where there is none, simply for the attention they desperately seek. Some might refer to this as a form of shitposting.

The Petro discussion that you so astutely referred to, is a great case study in this matrix. It seems so many who are eager to discuss the topic are misguided in their interpretation that they are in possession of the full facts, arguing their opinion of "what certainly must have occurred" as if it were fact. While I leave open the possibility that Alex Pietrangelo, Donald Meehan, and Doug Armstrong may very well be active members of this humble online community, I think it is dangerous for anyone not in that group of three to assume that they are in possession of all of the facts surrounding the contract negotiations and subsequent departure of the player, so any arguments presented in absolutes, should anyone dare make them, would not be entirely within the definition of "intellectual honesty". I feel it is one's responsibility to always be careful to make clear when one is arguing an opinion versus arguing over the existence of facts. I guess one couldn't really be blamed if they felt that someone that they were engaged with in a discussion such as this were insistent that their opinion was fact. It could lead one to believe that their argument, though not necessarily the individual in question, lacked the prerequisite "intellectual honesty" as to be classified as an honest discussion. I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more, just to be the man who walked 1,000 miles to have an honest discussion about players and management or contracts and trades.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Accountability is key to winning hockey culture and also to poker. If you lack it, poker and hockey will both chew you up. I can remember playing in a regular home game with Jon Landau who just passed at 63. It wasn't my own money, I was backed. That was a big game. In order for this to occur I had to demonstrate to someone with money over time that investing in my decisions was an extremely accountable one and that's why it happened. But I have been in conflict with a lot of delusionally unreliable narrators over time, playing poker and talking hockey. In poker it's literally the money edge. Among hockey players it's about accountability to your teammates. If you mess up you own it. Like I once said Sammy Blais wasn't going to make the NHL watching him in junior many times, but then he did and it was the first thing I said when I came back. I think what maybe some don't understand about accountability is it's what allows you to give an opinion in an honorable way. You can't reasonably argue about decisions if you don't take responsibility for what you got wrong. It doesn't work. You fold into a corrupt caricature. You have to be willing to answer for wrong opinions, and it's what separates me from a lot of the people who inveterately insert their opinions about me and my morality into their hockey discussion

Reactions: wiscrev

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Was just a month ago that I had two posters on here arguing with me about how he was more important to Edmonton’s run than Bouchard.

People get nutty about prospects/young players.
I was one of them and I'll defend that position.

Bouchard is borderline elitish and had a powerful impact on the Oilers postseason. No doubt.

Also, the lineup change had a direct impact on the series, meaning Broberg evened out the pairings and the Oilers tied the series. Who had a bigger impact or was more important? Subjective.

For me, the Oilers being down 0-3 and then suddenly tied at 3 is significant and the most significant change to the lineup was adjusting the defensive pairings.

You can pretend like people are saying something that they're not. Whatever.

I see Broberg as a Petro-lite. He's kinda timid, but is calm. I like calm defensemen.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Accountability is key to winning hockey culture and also to poker. If you lack it, poker and hockey will both chew you up. I can remember playing in a regular home game with Jon Landau who just passed at 63. It wasn't my own money, I was backed. That was a big game. In order for this to occur I had to demonstrate to someone with money over time that investing in my decisions was an extremely accountable one and that's why it happened. But I have been in conflict with a lot of delusionally unreliable narrators over time, playing poker and talking hockey. In poker it's literally the money edge. Among hockey players it's about accountability to your teammates. If you mess up you own it. Like I once said Sammy Blais wasn't going to make the NHL watching him in junior many times, but then he did and it was the first thing I said when I came back. I think what maybe some don't understand about accountability is it's what allows you to give an opinion in an honorable way. You can't reasonably argue about decisions if you don't take responsibility for what you got wrong. It doesn't work. You fold into a corrupt caricature. You have to be willing to answer for wrong opinions, and it's what separates me from a lot of the people who inveterately insert their opinions about me and my morality into their hockey discussion
Have you ever had a friend who spouts off dumb illogical opinions once in a while, such as a bad take about a hockey trade or a movie you admire, and you still loved him as a friend and treated him with respect? That’s what I struggle with. The contempt for posters you disagree with makes it all come across as unnecessarily mean-spirited and dismissive. Would you throw that hypothetical friend in the metaphorical garbage? I hope and suspect that the online version of that interaction is a melodramatic exaggeration of how a face to face friend would be received in a similar discussion.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

You inveritably insert yourself into these discussions. 2 posts here, ostensibly about hockey, and yet with far more discussion about you: all your wonderful traits, people you know, and things you have done. In two posts, you named dropped a celebrity you knew, a feat you accomplished and praised yourself for 3 different admirable traits like 7 times. I am really trying not to be mean here. But do you not understand how people can potentially find this grating? Who actually talks like that: "the most important trait is this one that I have in spades as evidence by this thing I did"? Its not even a humble brag, there is no humble to be found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad