2024-2025 AUS Thread

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I always look forward to see what the out of conference exhibition games will be. Will we finally see the AUS play the NCAA again?
Those early October games will be less likely now due to NCAA rule changes. As summer progresses I like the anticipation of inter-conference matchups.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Those early October games will be less likely now due to NCAA rule changes. As summer progresses I like the anticipation of inter-conference matchups.

McGill is the most frequent visitor to the AUS. I expect the Ottawa Gee-Gees to come out here to play UNB as they are the UCup hosts this year. The Reds also played them in Ottawa last September.

Looks like the only way they can play against the NCAA would be over the Xmas break.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UQTR used to be a regular visitor to UNB and UdeM, but that stopped once they began their annual roadtrips to play against pro teams in France.

It would be nice to see the OUA visitors make a few more stops on their roadtrips. What would probably help is if AUS hosts got back to hosting 4-team tourneys, where everyone is guaranteed two games. But of course you need fans to show up to make the dollars work.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UQTR used to be a regular visitor to UNB and UdeM, but that stopped once they began their annual roadtrips to play against pro teams in France.

It would be nice to see the OUA visitors make a few more stops on their roadtrips. What would probably help is if AUS hosts got back to hosting 4-team tourneys, where everyone is guaranteed two games. But of course you need fans to show up to make the dollars work.
I think teams, like UNB and UdeM, could host something - not sure how. Maybe UNB/UdeM on Wed (some place neutral), two teams come down for the weekend, one team plays UNB the other UdeM - then swap and then some sort of finals on day-3?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Those early October games will be less likely now due to NCAA rule changes.
The potential CHL/NCAA rules or are there new competition rules?

The weekend of Sept 30/Oct. 1st remains open. The biggest challenge is NCAA teams book their opponents really early and if you don't have a game scheduled - it gets harder throughout the summer to arrange one.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The potential CHL/NCAA rules or are there new competition rules?

The weekend of Sept 30/Oct. 1st remains open. The biggest challenge is NCAA teams book their opponents really early and if you don't have a game scheduled - it gets harder throughout the summer to arrange one.
Didn’t the NCAA move the start date for men’s hockey a few years ago? Can’t remember if they start earlier or later now. Regardless, that change coupled with the AUS rule of not allowing exhibition games after the regular season begins has really hampered the ability to schedule games.

Honestly - and I’m probably in the minority here - I don’t really miss the NCAA games at all.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I figured the reason UQTR stopped coming here was because of the accusations made by Hubert regarding UNB and Francis Beauvillier.

Reactions: Drummer and Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I figured the reason UQTR stopped coming here was because of the accusations made by Hubert regarding UNB and Francis Beauvillier.
Yes, I believe you are right. Considering it has been over a decade now I'm prepared to let bygones be bygones. UQTR are the best to in the OUA and the closest of any out of conference team. It just makes sense to play them.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yes, I believe you are right. Considering it has been over a decade now I'm prepared to let bygones be bygones. UQTR are the best to in the OUA and the closest of any out of conference team. It just makes sense to play them.
I asked the UQTR coach two years ago. He said their annual roadtrip to France meant they would no longer travel to the Maritimes in the preseason.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I see that last year the NCAA season did not officially start until Fri. Oct. 6th, so unless someone wants to start late (eg. UVM played McGill on the 7th and then started NCAA games on the 14th) it's really not possible for AUS teams to go south as both seasons start on the same weekend.

It would have to be a Christmas thing - not sure anyone has any interest in that. I'd like it, but it's expensive.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Any word of any rule changes being implemented for the upcoming season?
No - not yet.

This is a 'rules' year (2024) which means the Hockey Canada Rulebook, which is active for two seasons, is republished with changes (2024/25 & 2025/26). I don't expect any big changes - they did a lot of work on Maltreatment for the 2022 and then provided clarity in 2023 for Junior (Faceoff locations and hybrid icing), Maltreatment as well as Throat Protectors.

The AUS has their own Rule Addendum on top of the HC Rulebook where they added 4min for Boarding when there is a 'soft' injury (bloody lip) to avoid Majors for such incidents. They may clarify the 'puck out of play' rule as a penalty. I think the rule is worded clearly, but a number of referees don't agree.

Note 1: Where a player of the defending team, excluding the goaltender,
unintentionally shoots, bats, or throws the puck outside the playing surface, no
penalty will be assessed but the defending team may not make a line change.
Note 2: Notwithstanding the above, Referees must still penalize any player of either
team who deliberately shoots, bats, or throws the puck outside the playing surface,

as per Rule 10.1 (ii) – Delay of Game.

This wording requires the referee to determine what the player was intending (thinking) of doing. I would prefer to evaluate the action - he had the puck, he shot the puck, he missed the glass and it went out - that's a penalty. His actions were deliberate - he did shoot the puck. It may not be what be intended, but it was his actions. Most referees want it to be very obvious. I suspect the AUS may outline that any 'puck out of play' (unintentional or not) is Delay of Game.

There is a New Brunswick Level 4/5, now called Member High Performance, officiating course on Aug. 9-11. They are hoping to hear from Hockey Canada by then so those students get current material. Otherwise - probably the last week of August.

E.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Note 1: Where a player of the defending team, excluding the goaltender,
unintentionally shoots, bats, or throws the puck outside the playing surface, no
penalty will be assessed but the defending team may not make a line change.
Note 2: Notwithstanding the above, Referees must still penalize any player of either
team who deliberately shoots, bats, or throws the puck outside the playing surface,

as per Rule 10.1 (ii) – Delay of Game.
I like to automatic rule. The AUS is wrong. You shoot the puck over the glass, 2 minutes.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I like to automatic rule. The AUS is wrong. You shoot the puck over the glass, 2 minutes.
Worth clarifying - the wording I showed was Hockey Canada for Junior A, not AUS. Because the AUS adopted Hockey Canada Jr. A rules, that's how the referee is going to interpret it for AUS games. I believe the AUS should expand their addendum to include a retraction for this interpretation and add wording that says any 'puck out of play', by the defending team in their own end, is Delay of Game.

They've done this for other rules, which is the intent of an addendum.
eg. Having 7 coaches. Hockey Canada has a limit of 5, but the AUS expanded it in the Addendum to 7.
eg. Another one is 'no change' after a shoot-in to the goaltender, from beyond the red-line, is covered by the goaltender for a whistle. This is an AUS specific rule. The belief is the goaltender should have more than enough time to play the puck to a defenseman and the stoppage is unnecessary. As a result - they can not change.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium