2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kansas City is very unlikely.

If Canada gets another team, it'll be in the GTA... issues with Toronto and Buffalo opposing is the biggest obstacle there.
Curious timing, announcing this expansion after Bell just sold its shares of MLSE to Rogers...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Portland has a legitimate shot. They're being underrated as the fourth place.
Moda Center has basically eliminated all their ice making stuff at least on a NHL type of capacity. It could be added back of course with enough funds, but seems unlikely given the already strained relationship the Trailblazers have there. Possible, but things need to rapidly change to the positive side. San Diego is the place that I don't think is talked about enough.

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Say what you will on Yzerman... those Raymond and Seider deals are going to age very well for them. Larkin, Raymond, and Seider combined will be ~26m. 1C, 1W, and 1D... now they just need to spend more wisely on depth and some of the picks to start to impact the NHL.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Say what you will on Yzerman... those Raymond and Seider deals are going to age very well for them. Larkin, Raymond, and Seider combined will be ~26m. 1C, 1W, and 1D... now they just need to spend more wisely on depth and some of the picks to start to impact the NHL.
There is one thing Stevie Y has done well consistently (both in Tampa and now in Detroit), and that's re-signing players to value deals. Trades and free agency? Not that impressed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There is one thing Stevie Y has done well consistently (both in Tampa and now in Detroit), and that's re-signing players to value deals. Trades and free agency? Not that impressed.
He's always been mixed on trades and UFA, even in Tampa. He had some massive wins, but also massive losses. It was made up for by their drafting and development. We're getting to the point where the drafting and development have to start taking hold. Guys like Cossa, Edvinsson, Kasper, Danielson, and others have to start making impacts in the next season or two. I think their pool is very good, but getting to the point where results need to start coming in.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Detroit sure are doing great signing all these guys who uhh.... have done all those things and... won all those awards.... they'll be contenders any day now!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Is Larkin a good enough 1C though? In the right circumstance I could see it, but he needs to increase the C depth and talent quickly before Larkin ages out imo.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is Larkin a good enough 1C though? In the right circumstance I could see it, but he needs to increase the C depth and talent quickly before Larkin ages out imo.
They need a high end 2C behind him. Which is where Kasper or Danielson have to step up. I doubt Kasper can hit that level.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They need a high end 2C behind him. Which is where Kasper or Danielson have to step up. I doubt Kasper can hit that level.
I just feel like the ages there aren’t cohesive enough right now unless Danielson and/or Kasper make huge strides the next 2 seasons. Seider/Raymond/Larkin are clearly the core 3, but Larkins getting close to aging out of his peak. Then they have a ton of meh surrounding them at some important positions like JTC, Copp, Chiarot, etc.

Same thing with the goalies, they aren’t great but obviously Cossa has major upside but will be fit in before Larkin potentially ages out? Idk, just a team that I don’t think will mesh at the right time to have legit contention hopes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Problem in Detroit beyond the obvious depth/talent issues is the coach. Clearly Newsy and Yzerman are not on the same page. Stevie Y went out and signed all kinds of blueline talent (not necessarily great talent but talent nonetheless) and the coach kept insisting on using Seider in all tough defensive situations.

I also don't understand why they sent Walman packing WITH a 2nd rounder, even if the rumors that a trade for Trouba fell through, that one doesn't make any sense to me. He clicked with Seider better than any other defenseman they had and it wasn't like he was signed to a ton of $$$. Why would you give up a 2nd to dump an actually-useful player?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just feel like the ages there aren’t cohesive enough right now unless Danielson and/or Kasper make huge strides the next 2 seasons. Seider/Raymond/Larkin are clearly the core 3, but Larkins getting close to aging out of his peak. Then they have a ton of meh surrounding them at some important positions like JTC, Copp, Chiarot, etc.

Same thing with the goalies, they aren’t great but obviously Cossa has major upside but will be fit in before Larkin potentially ages out? Idk, just a team that I don’t think will mesh at the right time to have legit contention hopes.
Yeah I’d say odds are against it all lining up. There’s also potential for Larkin to only be needed in a support role if things click. I think a lot relies on Danielson who needs to show a lot more offensive talent. Kasper doesn’t have the pure upside (though I love his style).

Problem in Detroit beyond the obvious depth/talent issues is the coach. Clearly Newsy and Yzerman are not on the same page. Stevie Y went out and signed all kinds of blueline talent (not necessarily great talent but talent nonetheless) and the coach kept insisting on using Seider in all tough defensive situations.

I also don't understand why they sent Walman packing WITH a 2nd rounder, even if the rumors that a trade for Trouba fell through, that one doesn't make any sense to me. He clicked with Seider better than any other defenseman they had and it wasn't like he was signed to a ton of $$$. Why would you give up a 2nd to dump an actually-useful player?
There’s off the ice stuff with Walman.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There’s off the ice stuff with Walman.
cardi-b-oh-really.gif

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Give me "out of freaking nowhere Gudas is made captain for 500, Alex."

You’ll take Potent Potables for $200 and like it.

I bet Green Bay would be an amazing hockey city. They also wouldn't have to worry about NBA competition like the Avs do. But will still always be Packers first, Green Bay Cheese Machos, second.

The Green Bay Green Knights!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad