Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
like I said I hope he's wrong, but he has a strong history of being right. we do this draft every year before the NHL does for 10 or so years
prob would have been a better idea to just to take Stian Solberg or Liam Greentree. I did like the idea of getting the extra pick myself. we will see how it all works out
He has a strong history of being right about what exactly?

And drafting Solberg or Greentree was a better idea based on what? Feelings?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
this is Clark's 3rd draft and the 3rd time he's gone off the board with our first selection , Cowan looks like a very good pick , Minten not so much

so while i have no issues with the team going with their guy it does seem like Clark is giving off the smartest guy in the room vibes by continually going way off the board with these selections
Minten is a 2nd round pick. He is still tracking to be an NHL player. Just because he doesn't look like he has top 6 upside doesn't make the Minten pick bad. If he can settle in and become a useful bottom 6 centre for us for a few years that pick is a success.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Very detailed report here:

“Defensively, Danford is an absolute rock. He is nearly impossible to beat one-on-one with his excellent mobility and good reach. His gap control is superb and he has a clear understanding of when to play aggressively to take away space. He blocks shots. He clears the crease. He consistently wins races and battles in 50/50 situations. He has great defensive instincts and an active stick. He projects as a steady top-four presence, paired with a more active offensive partner”

This, and his skating, think we have a player here. Risky pick I suppose, but he sure checks some boxes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
this is Clark's 3rd draft and the 3rd time he's gone off the board with our first selection , Cowan looks like a very good pick , Minten not so much

so while i have no issues with the team going with their guy it does seem like Clark is giving off the smartest guy in the room vibes by continually going way off the board with these selections

This is a fair take IMO

To his credit his later round selections have shown some promise too (Grebenkin, Hildeby, and Chadwick took some good strides).

I’m quite interested to see what he does today.

Reactions: hotpaws

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Minten is a 2nd round pick. He is still tracking to be an NHL player. Just because he doesn't look like he has top 6 upside doesn't make the Minten pick bad. If he can settle in and become a useful bottom 6 centre for us for a few years that pick is a success.
yes i know he was a 2nd rd pick but he was rated to go in the 3rd rd and Clark passed on much higher upside players who were rated to go at this pick

Reactions: yort2010

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wes and the Leafs have earned the benefit of the doubt with the Cowan pick last year. I had never heard of him before the pick, but I was in on Solberg and Emery. Preliminarily disappointed, but will be thrilled to be wrong in the future. Interested to see who we grab with the other pick.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

What board? Not the Leafs board.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
yes i know he was a 2nd rd pick but he was rated to go in the 3rd rd and Clark passed on much higher upside players who were rated to go at this pick
Right but you are saying it is a bad pick right now lol if you get a solid NHL player out of a 2nd round pick then it was a really good 2nd round pick. Like take a peak at the rest of the 2nd round that year...I can see the argument for 3 players over Minten and those players are about as likely to have NHL careers as he is at this point.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
what do you think he projects out to be that makes you so high on him ?
Who said I'm high on him?

He was a 2nd round pick, broke camp with the Leafs, was Captain of WJC team, also his Jr. team, and looks to be a great bottom 6 C option. That's good value for a 2nd rounder.

You said the pick doesn't look good. That's not remotely true.

Reactions: djdev and lowski

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Re: moving to acquire more picks:

"We're always having that discussion and in my opinion, the more bullets the better," Map[e Leafs Director of Amateur Scouting said. "It doesn't matter who you like, you can't predict the future, so choose who you like and the more bullets you have the better your situation you are in."

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Some folks are never happy. Last year it was we take small skilled forwards all the time (despite taking Knies and Minten the years before). Now we take a big mobile RD and people are complaining again.

If the scouts felt comfortable passing on a guy, I trust them. Whether it was because Solberg was a LD or they just felt Benford was their guy and they could move back a bit it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Really disappointed we didnt get Solberg or Emery. I am once again complaining about wasting assets at the deadline because this is once again another consequence of it.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Have to be honest, not knowing much about this kid, reading and watching his attributes, LOVE the pick. His skating is fantastic, quick first step, laterally looks good, high top end, looks NHL level all day long. Great compete and desire, always a huge factor for me in who ultimately makes it, you can’t teach motor. High hockey IQ, again huge. Size, speed, brain, heart, yes please!!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who said I'm high on him?

He was a 2nd round pick, broke camp with the Leafs, was Captain of WJC team, also his Jr. team, and looks to be a great bottom 6 C option. That's good value for a 2nd rounder.

You said the pick doesn't look good. That's not remotely true.
great bottom 6 C ? he looks offensively challenged so unless he picks it up offensively i have no idea how you think he projects to be a GREAT bottom 6 C

and my point was Clark reached for him when there were higher upside players available on the board , not that he couldn't make it somewhere in the bottom 6 at the NHL level

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He has a strong history of being right about what exactly?

And drafting Solberg or Greentree was a better idea based on what? Feelings?
we play in a 32 team dynasty league with 50 contracts and 90 players per team. he just has a strong history of making good decisions on prospects that work out through drafting or trades. we mirror the NHL as closely as possible. I trust his advice on alot of things and has always sheered me in the right direction as well. he's not always 100% right. but I hope he isnt here. will be fun is shove it in his face if he's wrong. I like our scouts and they have done really well over the years it seems so far. still early on alot of our picks but given we usually dont have a 1st and still find gems I got high hopes hes wrong this time. but it worries me a little

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
great bottom 6 C ? he looks offensively challenged so unless he picks it up offensively i have no idea how you think he projects to be a GREAT bottom 6 C

and my point was Clark reached for him when there were higher upside players available on the board , not that he couldn't make it somewhere in the bottom 6 at the NHL level
No, you said Minten doesn't look like a good pick. Just because Poitras has trended better doesn't make Minten a bad pick lol they have nothing to do with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad