Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Love this pick, I had this kid mid/high teens on my board. Love the compete and poise, will wear a letter for the Leafs one day. Did better than expected at the combine, his VO2 scores were off the charts and his intangibles were said to be some of the best since Freddie The Goat. He really came on towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, truly dominating and dictating the pace of the game...a dman version of Easton Cowan.

p.s. I've never heard of this bastard until 5 minutes ago but I want to look good in case he pans out and people check out this thread 5 years from now.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I didn't want Emery, but he's an elite athlete who wouldn't have been an off the board selection either.

If you think you're the smartest guy in the room with 31 other teams, you better be right.
They didn’t go that far off the board? They took a player expected to go in the 30’s 31st. Like a really moderate reach.

Reactions: arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Only watched him a bit in the ohl playoffs and liked what I saw. Would Adam Pelech be a good comparison?

I saw a lot of TJ Brodie and Brett Kulak comparisons. Very good puck moving, good skaters and 2way defenders that don't generate much shots/goal scoring.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Reactions: DarkKnight

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
They didn’t go that far off the board? They took a player expected to go in the 30’s 31st. Like a really moderate reach.

They took a player who was pretty universally ranked in the 50-100 range by scouting services.

A couple had him in the 30's, a couple lists had him 70+ but generally he's listed in the 50's. Bob's rankings based on scouts consensus had him 54th.

I think it's kind of hard to argue that he wasn't a reach in the first round based on the available data whether you like the pick or not.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Knies, Minten, Cowan, Danford.

Compete, IQ, size. Been a gradual culture shift the last several years in terms of what our org is identifying as "best player available". Best part is these player types bear fruit at the pro level, so we haven't seen the best yet IMO.

Wes Clark's signature is putting a fanbase into hysteria on draft day. But I chalk this up as a solid pick. I'd put Danford in a category with Minten, but behind Knies/Cowan in terms of my draft day opinion.

High IQ, pairs size with standout compete defensively, and mobile with the puck on his stick. At a basic level, those are the ingredients for successful modern DFD's. Processes the game better than other stylistic comparables in the 20s.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You're not drafting top end perfect players at that spot but definitely needs to elevate his offensive ability next season
I'm reading people think the points are gonna come as his shot assist skills are considered plus as well.

The more I'm looking into this, the more I see a Shea Theodore/Travis Sanheim-type pick at the end of the 1st round.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
They took a player who was pretty universally ranked in the 50-100 range by scouting services.

A couple had him in the 30's, Bob's rankings based on scouts consensus had him 54th.

I think it's kind of hard to argue that he wasn't a reach in the first round based on the available data whether you like the pick or not.

He was ranked anywhere from 30-95 I believe, most rankings had him around 50.

Not sure it is that big of a reach at that point.

Craig Button had him at 78 which probably means he is a top 10 player.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Well right shot defenceman are at a premium. We really saw that tonight when Yakemchuk and Parekh went higher than 3 LD's who in my opinion are better prospects.

I can see this pick becoming better and better as time goes on, upside is probably a 2nd pair guy I assume.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I put very little stock into what scouting services say. Or Bob McKenzie.

The Leafs grabbed him here because they either felt he was the BPA or he was just what they were looking for. In any case, we'll likely know if it was a good call to trade down in the first and grab a 2nd in 4-5 years.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He was ranked anywhere from 30-95 I believe, most rankings had him around 50.

Not sure it is that big of a reach at that point.

Craig Button had him at 78 which probably means he is a top 10 player.

First round is certainly a reach for a player generally ranked late 2nd to early 3rd for sure, regardless of how you feel about the player.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Brunicke was my "off board" prediction they would go with. He won't last long in the 2nd but who knows.
I just figured they would go with the bigger RHD with more offensive upside vs a Brodie type of player. Hopefully one of he or Gill are there at 58 but doubtful as you mentioned.

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad