Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Seems like a pick based on need more than BPA (based on the rankings I saw), but adding a right-shooting D with size and some offensive skill is something the team has lacked for many years. Ontario boy as well, which I have a bit of a soft spot for too.

Wishing him well in his development and he makes trading down to the end of the round to snag him look like great value in years' time.

Reactions: arso40

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Certainly not comfortable for them to go off-the-board again -- maybe Wes is smarter than the other 31 teams? lol -- but it worked last year with Cowan.

I am also liking what I am reading so far on Danford. The lack of offence is clearly why he wasn't a consensus first-rounder but it sounds like his puck skills may be better than the numbers indicate.

Finally... never a bad idea to draft a RHD or an Ontario kid who bleeds blue and white.

He's not off the board, though? I've seen a couple rankings that had him in this range.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I’ll tell you straight up he is better than EJ Emery, people complaining about Danford’s offensive output but then in the same breath wanting Emery is hilarious. Emery is very raw, high potential upside but Danford is more polished and honestly just a warrior. Watching in the OHL playoffs I liked him. Didnt think he’d be a first rounder.

But if our Emery, Elick and Danford, Danford is the best puck handler of the three and the best defensively out of the three. That’s what we want right? Defenseman who can defend.

I like Solberg but besides the hitting, is there more that he brings? I find those 4 defenseman are pretty interchangeable and there’s a ton of others who will go in the second round who may end up being better than the 4 I named too.

I didn't want Emery, but he's an elite athlete who wouldn't have been an off the board selection either.

If you think you're the smartest guy in the room with 31 other teams, you better be right.

Reactions: arso40

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I’ve given up on pre scouting drafts in hope of my team picking a guy

Makes it easier to cheer for the pick.

Really intrigued by this one.. excited to have a 2nd tomorrow

Seems like the smart approach in a Wes Clark drafting approach.

Im disappointed we didn't get Solberg, but Danford looks like a very intriguing pick. Plus we get a second.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I didn't want Emery, but he's an elite athlete who wouldn't have been an off the board selection either.

If you think you're the smartest guy in the room with 31 other teams, you better be right.

Whose board was it off? Because some scouts had him this high.

Reactions: WillNy29

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Seems like a pick based on need more than BPA (based on the rankings I saw), but adding a right-shooting D with size and some offensive skill is something the team has lacked for many years. Ontario boy as well, which I have a bit of a soft spot for too.

Wishing him well in his development and he makes trading down to the end of the round to snag him look like great value in years' time.

If they were drafting on need they would have just taken Emery. He was ranked higher, bigger, and plays the same position. They thought Danford was BPA.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Pikachu-boner-meme-4.jpg

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Personally I would have went with Basha here and then Danford at 58. But maybe we go dmen back to back;

Brunicke, Kleber, Hutson, Pulkkinen could be available at 58.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad