Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb) --Signed to ELC

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Trust our scouts.
NHL draft isn’t like the NFL where you later picks are valuable and it’s not as bad as the NBA where after the lottery top 5 it’s hard to make it.

Every GM has their preference and their vision. Burke liked his style and it failed. Dubas liked his and failed. Now let’s see how Tre does.

And while they all have their preferences they also all have to use the cap. Unlike years past where no one knew gilmour was one of the highest paid players.
The leafs have had some success at the draft. It hasn’t all been a failure. Most recently Matt Knies was a great pickup in the second round. Cowan was a steal as a late first rounder.

I meant the vision the GM has had over the years and the end result in not winning the cup.

Yes we have hit on some there is no doubt . I don’t think there is a perfect system because the draft is such a crapshoot.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Leafs have drafted two right shot dman in the top 50 picks of the draft since 2000, Schenn/Liljegren (we used a handful of late 2nds in the 50s range on guys like Durzi, Rasanen, etc).

Nice to see us finally use a high-ish pick on something that has been a team need forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdogg

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Leafs have drafted one right shot dman in the top 50 picks of the draft since 2000, and that was Luke Schenn in 2008 (we used a handful of late 2nds in the 50s range on guys like Durzi, Rasanen, etc).

Nice to see us finally use a high-ish pick on something that has been a team need forever.

I believe Topi Niemela is a RHD but they crapped the bed trading Durzi. Great pick but a dumb trade even though it brought a couple years of Muzzin.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I believe Topi Niemela is a RHD but they crapped the bed trading Durzi. Great pick but a dumb trade even though it brought a couple years of Muzzin.

Niemela is a RHD, but he was drafted in the 3rd round, not in the top 50 of the draft.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Ok so we got a better skating version of prime Tanev? He looks more physical and better offensive instincts too, maybe a 50 point elite shutdown D on the conservative side.

No.

You’re never going to see Danford putting up 50pt seasons in the NHL - - and he won’t do it in the OHL either. That’s just not his game. He’s a shutdown defenceman. Not an offensive defenseman.

Tanev is NOT a physical defenseman in the sense of laying big hits or fighting - - and neither is Danford.

Their toughness and physicality comes from willingly blocking a ton of shots and never being afraid to take a punishing hit from a forechecker in order to clear the zone.

Reactions: weems

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No.

You’re never going to see Danford putting up 50pt seasons in the NHL - - and he won’t do it in the OHL either. That’s just not his game. He’s a shutdown defenceman. Not an offensive defenseman.

Tanev is NOT a physical defenseman in the sense of laying big hits or fighting - - and neither is Danford.

Their toughness and physicality comes from willingly blocking a ton of shots and never being afraid to take a punishing hit from a forechecker in order to clear the zone.

I'm curious if he gets any PP time in the OHL, even if it's PP2 what the output could be.

I don't doubt Wes Clark's picks anymore after Cowan and all the hate that got.

My immediate response sitting beside my friend when the pick was announced was "Who the **** is that guy?" and within maybe 5 seconds, I just kinda shrugged and figured it'll work out because of Clark, we've been drafting well with him running the show.

Sep 18, 2009
I always say draft beest player available but then you end up with marner then you draft for need but this guy won;t be ready to contribute any time soon ?

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Ben Danford in my opinion will be over PPG next year on Oshawa. Its going to be another one of those pleasant surprise Cowan type years. Brad needs to get a couple of more stellar scouts in the ranks and give them more picks. Its time to beconme deep on our own merit in drafting (as should have been the case under Shanny/Hunter/Dubas who all had varying degrees of suck at drafting)

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Danford is both a need and BPA at least from a defensive standpoint. If you noticed the leafs didn’t draft any US collegiate players. That’s because with the tax discrepancies it’s less likely that a US born player will actually sign with a Canadian team when they can just become a free agent then sign with a team in Florida, Texas or Nevada.

That means the leafs are more or less limited to European and Canadian born draftees.

Even Robertson is now demanding a trade. His birth certificate is a factor in that decision IMO aside from him being jerked around by Keefe as Keefe is no longer with the team.

What? You know Nick and Jason moved to Toronto when Jason was like 14 and Nick was 12 to peruse hockey? They’ve been living in Canada for a while.

Leafs also drafted that big Canadian defenseman who is going to college in the 7th round.

Reactions: horner

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Soon to be known as "the D the Leafs traded down for instead of drafting Stian Solberg."

Nothing against Danford, but man, Solberg would have been my pick all day long there.
Perhaps the better question is ..

Stian Solberg

Or

Ben Danford + Florida's 7th ((#225- Dman Nathan Mayes) + Florida's 2nd in 2025.

It was a 3 to 1 trade down move.

Reactions: uncleben

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I like this pick, glad we got him signed, he seems like a steady D with some untapped offensive abilities due to being stuck behind more offensive D on his current team.

I've liked the videos I've seen, seems like he could be a solid two-way guy.

Perhaps the better question is ..

Stian Solberg

Or

Ben Danford + Florida's 7th ((#225- Dman Nathan Mayes) + Florida's 2nd in 2025.

It was a 3 to 1 trade down move.

Don't you normally hate when the Leafs trade back? Why are you framing this like it is a win all of a sudden?

They passed on the bigger D who is more physical for Danford... you should be losing your mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00