Prospect Info: [2024 - 166th] Ben Merrill (C) - Penticton Vees (BCHL) - Committed to Harvard U

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
can't say I understand the faith the management team has placed into the BCHL to develop prospects

Other than Newhook and Jost I can't remember any other recent picks that turned into NHLers

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
can't say I understand the faith the management team has placed into the BCHL to develop prospects

Other than Newhook and Jost I can't remember any other recent picks that turned into NHLers
Depends on your definition of recent but Jamie Benn.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Went to the same USHS as Struble, played 2 games with Hage in the USHL this year after HS hockey ended. He's not slated for Harvard until '25-'26 according to elite prospects as they have him playing in the BCHL next year but the recruiting site I use has him going to Harvard next season.

Houle will get a good look at him if so and Croteau at Dartmouth since they are rivals.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I watched around 15 of his games this year. His team was stacked this year, as there are several players who will be playing D1 hockey or in Canada/USHL over the next few years. IMO, he was the second best player on the team, only behind Casey Mutryn, who made the NTDP team and will be a fairly high draft pick in 2 years. Nice player. Definitely a projection pick as he's a bit raw, but he has good size. His skating has improved throughout his St. Sebastian's career which is a very good sign, and he's good in front of the net. He plays hard, has a nice snap shot and is pretty good at picking corners. I know someone who taught him at St. Sebastian's and they had nice things to say about him, so off the ice he shouldn't be a problem.

Here are a few of his goals from this past season:

2:06:03 (hustle play, picked the corner)

1:42:51 (greasy goal in front of the net)

5:56 (uses his size to knock the player off the puck, leading to his goal)

A Director for Central Scouting talked about him here starting at the 15:45 mark:

Last edited:

snuffelapagus

Feb 27, 2002
socal
snuffypuck.com
To paraphrase Simon "The Snake" Boisvert, who sums up the way way I feel about this this draft:

Habs get an A+ for day one and maybe a C for day two. Overall it's still an A grade since finding a player in rounds 3-7 is a very low percentage proposition. Drafting in rounds 3-7 is like throwing darts at a board, but the way the Habs threw their darts does not align with my drafting philosophy.

Bingo, Snake!

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I watched around 15 of his games this year. His team was stacked this year, as there are several players who will be playing D1 hockey or in Canada/USHL over the next few years. IMO, he was the second best player on the team, only behind Casey Mutryn, who made the NTDP team and will be a fairly high draft pick in 2 years. Nice player. Definitely a projection pick as he's a bit raw, but he has good size. His skating has improved throughout his St. Sebastian's career which is a very good sign, and he's good in front of the net. He plays hard, has a nice snap shot and is pretty good at picking corners. I know someone who taught him at St. Sebastian's and they had nice things to say about him, so off the ice he shouldn't be a problem.

Here are a few of his goals from this past season:

2:06:03 (hustle play, picked the corner)

1:42:51 (greasy goal in front of the net)

5:56 (uses his size to knock the player off the puck, leading to his goal)

A Director for Central Scouting talked about him here starting at the 15:45 mark:

Thank you for these videos and your review of this kid. That’s all I needed to stay hopeful. I like seeing a bigger kid too…we have enough smurfs….I didn’t see many smurfs on the Florida Panthers team winning the Cup.m

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Cool videos above - if they skating is coming along and they are mentioning how much he improved throughout the year. That looked to be the play for most of our later picks, guys with size and specific attributes who had big jumps in development.

Reactions: Treb

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Cool videos above - if they skating is coming along and they are mentioning how much he improved throughout the year. That looked to be the play for most of our later picks, guys with size and specific attributes who had big jumps in development.
TBH I prefer that to taking undersized guys with big talent but severe flaws that will never crack the NHL. Everyone's going after the next msl like anyone has come close to Marty or his path to the NHL. Marchessault was probably the closest and wasn't drafted. The boom of a 5'7 winger making the NHL isn't far off the bust path. Which cup winning teams are carrying those small guys?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Makar played for Brooks, AHL at the time but now a BCHL franchise...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad