Prospect Info: [2024 - 130th] Tyler Thorpe (RW) - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I like that HuGo uses the late round picks to swing for the fences. It's a very different philosophy from the previous regime, that used these picks for players seemed most likely to make it. Here the philosophy seems to be that in the small chance they make it, they could be something special.
Old regime meaning TT. And yes correct. Timmins made a big deal about how he picked so many guys to play in the NHL, and he did. But that's a crap Stat. Who cares how many guys he picked who played 43 games in the NHL on the 4th line. It's a loser Stat. All that matters is hoe many top players a chief scout selected and on that he was awful since he drafted Patches, McDo, PK, Price . Interestingly his best seasons since then are likely his last 2 in Montreal.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah, I was too fast on that. Just not expecting a whole lot out of anybody chosen in the 2nd day. I can only eat crow from now on.

Still I followed Thorpe this year and he just didn't make my top 100 cut. But that's just me.
I'm not expecting anything for Thorpe either. But i think he's a more interesting gamble than Crisp was.

• Haha
Reactions: Slafkofield

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, I was too fast on that. Just not expecting a whole lot out of anybody chosen in the 2nd day. I can only eat crow from now on.

Still I followed Thorpe this year and he just didn't make my top 100 cut. But that's just me.
Well good thing he was picked 130th then. ;)

Reactions: jaffy27

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
As a Giants fan there’s definitely some upside with this pick. Was the only one scoring goals at the beginning of the year then got hurt off a skate cut. Very good skill set of size/speed/shot and showed a lot more comfort in his size last year vs his original draft year. Expecting a big year for him. His vision/playmaking would be where I would be concerned.
And that makes for a hell of a nice physical 4th line rw... Bash'em, bang'em, bruise'em, score a few here and there. Once you've had to live thru the Ryan White years, i'd be happy with a 8 goals / 15 points 4th line rw ;)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well good thing he was picked 130th then. ;)
Like I said though. There's no teams in the league that has a 150-name list. They have a different list...and I'd be surprise if they even have 100 names on their list.

This is why you keep hearing teams saying I can't believe he's still there. I suspect that their 7th rounders....are around 75 on their own list. So somehow...Thorpe was surely top 100 on the Habs.

Anyway, it's all good. I was totally underwhelmed by that 2nd day but it means nothing. I loved 2012 2nd day. It's all about prefering other players than the ones picked even though I had limited to NO views on the prospects we got. Again, the good thing is that for a very long time, I expect nothing out of our 2nd day prospects. Maybe Sawyer....but that's about it. Thorpe could Condotta his way to Laval somehow maybe. Sawyer I,m excited to see this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
One thing I like is that this team doesn't judt draft skill, skill, skill. They draft players with different profiles. So if they do indeed make it, they will bring something to the table another player doesn't. Because building a team needs all kinds of different players.

That's why I liked the Xhekaj pick last year.

Thorpe falls in that category.

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
One thing I like is that this team doesn't judt draft skill, skill, skill. They draft players with different profiles. So if they do indeed make it, they will bring something to the table another player doesn't. Because building a team needs all kinds of different players.

That's why I liked the Xhekaj pick last year.

Thorpe falls in that category.
The counter argument to that would be bottom six wingers and 3rd pairing defensemen are easily acquired through free agency or can be acquired through trade relatively inexpensively, therefore you are better off either trading later picks for said players or swinging for the fences for the hope that a player turns into an asset that can not be acquired at minimal cost. I personally believe in the 2nd stated approach.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The counter argument to that would be bottom six wingers and 3rd pairing defensemen are easily acquired through free agency or can be acquired through trade relatively inexpensively, therefore you are better off either trading later picks for said players or swinging for the fences for the hope that a player turns into an asset that can not be acquired at minimal cost. I personally believe in the 2nd stated approach.

I'm of the opinion of varying your prospect pool.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Those bottom six winger and 3rd pairing defensemen are still drafted and developed by a team and you still need to draft players to have bodies for the farm team (or to trade them to have bodies for the farm team) so you have cheap calls-up and RFA controls to manage your cap.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Yes they are but at a price. Having a quality 3rd line RFA player for cheap is a + value. People act like you can draft elite players past the 5th round all the time. It happens once every blue moon. Starting with the 4th round i'd look at intangibles more personally. Guys like Gallagher, Shaw, Penner, Moen, Kunitz. In the 5th round there's no problem with drafting a guy like Thorpe.

I know people are disappointed because we only had two top 45 picks but that's on MB since he traded our 2nd round pick (would have been 37th overall) for Dvorak. That pick was used to draft Freij. I don't hate KH moving up at the cost of a end of 2nd round pick. We were only one position away from having Eiserman and i don't think Hage would have been avalaible at 27th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saku1194

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
I wouldn't necessarily agree with this statement, at least not completely. Most of the type 4 lne type players are acquirable by trade of FA that's true but the really good ones are expensive and the ones that profile like Tuch, Xhekaj & Thorpe (if they hit) are not easily acquired (and if they are would be real expensive to acquire) simply because there's not a ton of them. So I like the fact that the team is intent on adding the grinder PF banger 4 liner type profile to our prospect pool later in the draft. If they hit they won't have to go looking for it.

Reactions: Chili

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
McCarron was pretty good in his role this year. I would take that for sure with a 5th rounder.

Don't forget Tuch too.
Yeah but Thorpe shows much more finish and skill (especially the EP comment about his strong shooting technique) and has some tools that stand out.

I'm happy for McCarron to put it together, but he never had a tool that would let him be more than a 4th liner. He's got a good attitude though. I never thought he complained.

• Haha
Reactions: quarter450 and tnq

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah but Thorpe shows much more finish and skill (especially the EP comment about his strong shooting technique) and has some tools that stand out.

I'm happy for McCarron to put it together, but he never had a tool that would let him be more than a 4th liner. He's got a good attitude though. I never thought he complained.
To be fair McCarron had good skating for a 6’6 230 18 year old kid. Hands and hockey sense were not there and he was nowhere near Milan Lucic in terms of toughness

tnq

Feb 16, 2004

Wow relax man, nobody is sur that Thorpe having as much LNH games as Mc Carron

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Wow relax man, nobody is sur that Thorpe having as much LNH games as Mc Carron
Oh I know he's still a late pick, I'm just saying his best tools stand out more. McC was very bland. Thorpe could bust, but at least there's a clearer idea of what kind of player he'd have to be to make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad