Prospect Info: [2024 - 130th] Tyler Thorpe (RW) - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Hey, we took my boy Thorpe. I've liked this prospect for a while. Big boy who seems to have figured things out and improved his skill as time has gone on. Had a nasty skate cut on his wrist last year that shortened his season. Lives in the dangerous areas in front of the net where basically no one can move him. Moves ok for a big boy.

Needs a looooot of work but we need this profile in our organization. Ecstatic we drafted him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I like that HuGo uses the late round picks to swing for the fences. It's a very different philosophy from the previous regime, that used these picks for players seemed most likely to make it. Here the philosophy seems to be that in the small chance they make it, they could be something special.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I like that HuGo uses the late round picks to swing for the fences. It's a very different philosophy from the previous regime, that used these picks for players seemed most likely to make it. Here the philosophy seems to be that in the small chance they make it, they could be something special.
After the 3rd round it really is about taking chances. No one expects a 6th round pick to become a key piece although it can happen.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And I get he technically is an 'overager', but I'd like a different term for HIS particular situation with these August birthdays lol
Overager makes you think '20 year old in a draft for 18 year olds'

But this guy is simply turning 19 this August lol and will be spending this entire D+1 'as' a 19 yr old til the next summer..
With 90%+ of the 18 year olds drafted this year turning 19 'during' the next season at some point anyway

Like Reinbacher for example
Drafted at 18 in June 2023, but by the following November 2023 was already 19 yrs old lol

This really isn't that too big a deal 'overage' wise
I'll take the size lol

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he were born a little over a month later this would be his first chance at being drafted and I think given that he'd be a 2nd, or 3rd round just based off of that perceived notion of this being his first year of eligibility.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I didn't know about him before we drafted him, but I like the overall profile he has. We need some size in our pipeline, and he seems to have taken a big step last year. Let's see if he can take another one this year.

Reactions: NewDef and dralaf

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I didn't know about him before we drafted him, but I like the overall profile he has. We need some size in our pipeline, and he seems to have taken a big step last year. Let's see if he can take another one this year.
this really stood out to me:
It’s uncommon to see a player of Thorpe’s stature shoot in motion and off-the-catch with such impressive form. His hands always stay in front of his body and he really elevates his top arm to put his full body weight behind the net. He also has a knack for deflections bolstered by between-checks positioning. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide

Ability to create and capitalize on rushes is a big difference maker in today's NHL. I wonder if he could be a similar player to Nick Paul, except maybe he can put it together at a younger age.

Are there better comparisons we can think of?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Couple of things here.

• Coffee Crisp was a 3rd round pick. Thorpe is a 5th round pick.
  • Crisp best pre being drafted season (turned 19 at the end of the season) was 36 points in 63 games with -31. Thorpe best pre being drafted season (18 all season) is 44 points in 51 games -9.
  • Crisp is 6'2 Thorpe is 6'4.
Yeah, I was too fast on that. Just not expecting a whole lot out of anybody chosen in the 2nd day. I can only eat crow from now on.

Still I followed Thorpe this year and he just didn't make my top 100 cut. But that's just me.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
He's over 5'10 so instant winner in my book.
The kid from Penticton is an odd one though, dude can't skate by all accounts but can throw his body..

• Haha
Reactions: Sagikev

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Thing is....no team has a list of 130. Usually guys they end up picking 220, it's because they have him at 50 to 75. Anyway, most of the teams.

Teams have a list made up of what all of their scouts have said and come to a consensus. Every scout however has their own lists based on their scouting. He was likely taken from Ben Shutron's personal list.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't actually hate going after these type of picks late. They have a higher rate to result in a NHLer that teams end up paying 2nd/3rd rounders for after they get expensive: see Beck Malenstyn. Boom/bust are nice but these are also very useful and way better than reaching on McCarron.

His growth from last year to this is crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewDef

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad