2023 World Men's Handball Championship

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finally time for this wonderful sport. High pace, lots of goals and very physical.

it starts 11 Jan. Host countries are Sweden and Poland.

Denmark won the gold last time.

Favorites to win is as usual Croatia, Denmark, Spain and France. The big 4.

Germany, Poland, Portugal, Iceland, Norway and Egypt is outsiders.

Worst teams are Chile, USA, Sweden, Saudi, Iran, Cap Verde, Uruguay and Belgium.

Might suprise alot of people to hear that big USA is one of the worst teams, but it really is so. Handball is not big sport in USA.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Might suprise alot of people to hear that big USA is one of the worst teams, but it really is so. Handball is not big sport in USA.

Somehow surprised with that. Basketball ok, thats clear, there is NBA and NCAA and ...

Volleyball is another thing. There isnt any top league in USA, isnt it? And still, USA is top in this sport.

Why not Handball?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Somehow surprised with that. Basketball ok, thats clear, there is NBA and NCAA and ...

Volleyball is another thing. There isnt any top league in USA, isnt it? And still, USA is top in this sport.

Why not Handball?
Well thats just how it is with some countries, some sports they are good in, some not. USA is not good in Bandy and Floorball either.

Also even if a sport is popular and big in a country, its still possible that nation can be bad in that sport. Look at Sweden....Handball is huge in Sweden, but yet we suck at this sport.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden one of the worst teams, wut? We are euro champs iirc
Yes and we also took silver in 2021. But i take the last tournaments with a grain of salt becuse of all the covid cases the other teams had. In a normal year we are nothing but a bottom tier team. If im wrong, nobody would be more happy than me. I grow up with "Bengan boys".

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Croatia favourites? I'd put Spain, Sweden and even current Iceland above them. Iceland could pull a surprise, Kristjansson, Omar Magnusson and Hallgrimsson are very good core.

My guess:
Denmark
Spain
Sweden
Iceland

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Croatia favourites? I'd put Spain, Sweden and even current Iceland above them. Iceland could pull a surprise, Kristjansson, Omar Magnusson and Hallgrimsson are very good core.

My guess:
Denmark
Spain
Sweden
Iceland
How tiny Iceland can be so good at so many sports is mindboggling.

No France?

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
New Championship, same Eye of Ra.

According to the odds the biggest favourites are Denmark, France and Sweden.

But yeah ofc Sweden are one of the worst. We’ll probably lose to Cape Verde.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Why in the hell is the Netherlands suddenly so strong??? Okay they ve some player in german league(Strongest league), but that takes a lot of getting used to. ;)

Reactions: Eye of Ra

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Why in the hell is the Netherlands suddenly so strong??? Okay they ve some player in german league(Strongest league), but that takes a lot of getting used to. ;)
Great coach in Swedish legend Staffan Olsson.

Plus a large portion of their team plays in Either Germany, Denmark or France. All good leagues.

But, they will fall when they face better teams in more important games.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Admit it, you want Finland to be good in this sport.

Great coach in Swedish legend Staffan Olsson.

Plus a large portion of their team plays in Either Germany, Denmark or France. All good leagues.

But, they will fall when they face better teams in more important games.
Then he must have turned into a great coach recently. He did a horrible job as the coach for Sweden for many years.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Quarterfinals[edit]​

25 January 2023
18:00
Denmark
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
v
23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary
Tele2 Arena, Stockholm

25 January 2023
18:00
Norway
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
v
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
Ergo Arena, Gdańsk

25 January 2023
20:30
Sweden
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
v
23px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png
Egypt
Tele2 Arena, Stockholm

25 January 2023
20:30
France
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
v
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
Ergo Arena, Gdańsk

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I dont see Hungary have any chance against Denmark even if they are a good team.

Norway and Spain should be a even game but with Spain as favorites.

Egypt is major favorites against Sweden, big suprise that Sweden even made it this far.

Germany vs France, the french are the favorites but dont count out the germans.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I dont see Hungary have any chance against Denmark even if they are a good team.

Norway and Spain should be a even game but with Spain as favorites.

Egypt is major favorites against Sweden, big suprise that Sweden even made it this far.

Germany vs France, the french are the favorites but dont count out the germans.
Is this just some major anti jinx? Sweden have looked really strong, and will take Egypt imo.

I see Sweden as heavy favourites to win the WC. Not because you are the best team based on individual payers, but the best TEAM, and you are playing in Sweden.

And like I said, you have looked strong in most games - Denmark looked like shit against Croatia, and the "B" team did not step up against the US. It was 2 weak games, but that happens over the span of a tourney, mostly.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is this just some major anti jinx? Sweden have looked really strong, and will take Egypt imo.

I see Sweden as heavy favourites to win the WC. Not because you are the best team based on individual payers, but the best TEAM, and you are playing in Sweden.

And like I said, you have looked strong in most games - Denmark looked like shit against Croatia, and the "B" team did not step up against the US. It was 2 weak games, but that happens over the span of a tourney, mostly.
The question is what is wrong with Croatia. They have been shit for 3 years now.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
It looks like as a Euro Championship with one invited country.

Handball has always been about Europe. Never have a non European country won the WC and only once have a country from another continent reached the final. We all know how that was possible.

Would be very good for the sport if it continue to grow in the US.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Handball has always been about Europe. Never have a non European country won the WC and only once have a country from another continent reached the final. We all know how that was possible.

Would be very good for the sport if it continue to grow in the US.
I am still waiting for Jay Cutler to put his money where his mouth is.

Last edited:

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Seminfinals, but Gottfridsson injured, what are our chances? @Eye of Ra

-1000% if you ask him.

For me it’s still like 50/50 with us having homeadvantage and the fact that we have beaten France in the last two Championships. Felix Claar is also a very good replacement for Gotte.

France on the other hand ofc have a great team as usual (Dika Mem probably the best in the world this season) but they have also pushed several players very hard so far. That could be interesting to see when we are as deep in the tournament as we are. Maybe some fatigue will be spotted?

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Damn, Spain just never give up. So tough to play against. But being five down to Denmark is nearly impossible.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Congratulations Denmark! But I don't like this World Cup mode at all. All those placement games? The main round with four groups of six and only 2 qualify for the quarterfinals. It would be better to introduce a round of 16 and abolish the placement games (except for 3rd place).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad