Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I just caught some of the interview Helle just did with NHL Network. How did I never notice until now how ginormous his ears are?!? Like, bat ears big!
Per the interview, Helle said he’s focused on the right now, but as Olympics gets closer, he’ll probably have that on his mind and would feel it’s an honor to represent his country. I hope he is indeed picked for the US Olympic team.
EJ also talked about how focused Helle looks in his official headshot. To me, he looks like the devil in that photo! :DD

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Hellebuyck now leads the league in goals saved above expected:

He's tied for 1st in games started, 1st in shots faced, and 3rd in wins. Among starters with 20+ games played, he's 9th in save percentage and 11th in GAA.

He's on track to be a Vezina finalist again. If he can extend his current hot streak (.940 over his last 10 games with a GAA of 1.9 and 7-2-1 record) to the end of the year, he might even win it back-to-back.

Reactions: Jets4Life and hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

He's tied for 1st in games started, 1st in shots faced, and 3rd in wins. Among starters with 20+ games played, he's 9th in save percentage and 11th in GAA.

He's on track to be a Vezina finalist again. If he can extend his current hot streak (.940 over his last 10 games with a GAA of 1.9 and 7-2-1 record) to the end of the year, he might even win it back-to-back.

Too bad Apples blew his shutout in that game recently. I'm still pissed about that play, both from Morrissey and Appleton.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Right now it should probably be Vasilevsky winning it, with Hellebuyck and Fleury as the other two finalists. Sv% over expected has the same top 3, though Vasilevsky tops it by a fair margin. Edit, added chart:

Cju7sWh.png

NHL Goalie Statistics

He had a tough start to the year (I'm guessing he made some slight adjustments and didn't have enough time in training camp to get comfortable with them), but after that he has been more of the same we saw last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For the record, last year when Hellebuyck won the Vezina, he had 24.2 GSAEx, and 0.008 sv% above expected. This year so far, he's at 20.3 GSAEx, and .011 sv% above expected.

In non-nerd terms, if he plays at a reasonable level (for him) the rest of the season, he'll probably have a better statistical season this year than last.

He still won't win the Vezina, because Vasilevsky is bonkers.

Reactions: hn777

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Right now it should probably be Vasilevsky winning it, with Hellebuyck and Fleury as the other two finalists. Sv% over expected has the same top 3, though Vasilevsky tops it by a fair margin. Edit, added chart:

Cju7sWh.png

NHL Goalie Statistics

He had a tough start to the year (I'm guessing he made some slight adjustments and didn't have enough time in training camp to get comfortable with them), but after that he has been more of the same we saw last year.
Yikes. Remember like last year when Carter Hart was the next great thing?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I just caught some of the interview Helle just did with NHL Network. How did I never notice until now how ginormous his ears are?!? Like, bat ears big!
Per the interview, Helle said he’s focused on the right now, but as Olympics gets closer, he’ll probably have that on his mind and would feel it’s an honor to represent his country. I hope he is indeed picked for the US Olympic team.
EJ also talked about how focused Helle looks in his official headshot. To me, he looks like the devil in that photo! :DD
Helle doesn't see the puck, he just screams at it and finds it through echolocation.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Love how he called out Perry and I hear Habs fans are losing it in Helly.
I guess the truth hurts!
Perry will not answer the bell unless it is someone half his size. What a puke!
Helly is dialed in now lets hope the team defence can help him!

Reactions: GumbyCan2 and hn777

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

And not _hit-the-bed on a few easy shots, handle his rebounds better, smarter and Stop playing the puck behind his net.
Yes, last game there was a lack of scoring threat really by Jets much of the game, despite some dominant control in O's zone. However, the game tide and outcome ultimately came down to 2 specifically bad goals against Helle, created by himself! Not the 1st time this has happened this season. And, no way a goalie tied for 9nth in sv% and 11th for GAA is actually chosen as Vezina winner.

Last edited:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
And not _hit-the-bed on a few easy shots, handle his rebounds better, smarter and Stop playing the puck behind his net.
Yes, last game there was a lack of scoring threat really by Jets much of the game, despite some dominant control in O's zone. However, the game tide and outcome ultimately came down to 2 specifically bad goals against Helle, created by himself! Not the 1st time this has happened this season. And, no way a goalie tied for 9nth in sv% and 11th for GAA is actually chosen as Vezina winner.

If this is your analysis you need to change occupations.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hellebuyck won the Vezina last year ranked 9th in save percentage and 16th in GAA.:dunno:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If we had 19/20 or 20/21 Hellebuyck in 17/18, we not only win the Stanley Cup, but that team is up there with the best teams since the lockout. Just slightly off with the timing.

'17/'18 Hellebuyck was perfectly sufficient. Until the last four games.

*weeps*

Reactions: Ducky10

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Too bad Apples blew his shutout in that game recently. I'm still pissed about that play, both from Morrissey and Appleton.
Fast forward to April 22 and now, April 24 Hockey Night in Canada agsinst ghe Maple Leafs, and I am pissed at Helle's 'Swiss Cheese'net protecting!! What a farce for a #1, Vezina resume goalie. Embarrassing! And, he is shitting on the coach for pulling him! I would send him to the showers, again, in this one too. May as well play Comrie!
Helle needs a huge reset right now. Bad attitude and energy and habits leaking into his game 9 games away from Playoffs, not good signs at all. I hate the Leafs but can't help but feel they are dominating us more each game as they come. Having your top goalie giving them games on easy goals let in doesn't help.
But yes, blame a player for blowing a play late in a game to ruin the shutout ( in a sure win). Sucks to lose the shutout, but sucks worse to have zero faith in your main goalie early in very important games, because he is giving the other team easy goals.
Okay, I said my piece. Hope it is over with and not warranted anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkp

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If this is your analysis you need to change occupations.
Okay. I changed my occupation. Is Helle doing any better April 24th against the Leafs?
Nope. Still trying to play pucks behind his net or off the boards and loses position and gives it away and falls all over missing the shot fif another easy goal agsinst. Happening too iften fif a Vezina resjme goalie.
No need for him to chase pucks away from tge net, when he sees the most shots and high-scoring chance-against shots anyways. This team is very close to fantastic and yet very fragile and closed to self-destructing at any given time. Bad goaltending will send them golfing sooner than we all would like.
You can't defend the last 2 periods played by Hellebuyck are not Bad Goaltending!
No matter how bad my analysis is/are 6 goals in 20 shots is Poor.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Okay. I changed my occupation. Is Helle doing any better April 24th against the Leafs?
Nope. Still trying to play pucks behind his net or off the boards and loses position and gives it away and falls all over missing the shot fif another easy goal agsinst. Happening too iften fif a Vezina resjme goalie.
No need for him to chase pucks away from tge net, when he sees the most shots and high-scoring chance-against shots anyways. This team is very close to fantastic and yet very fragile and closed to self-destructing at any given time. Bad goaltending will send them golfing sooner than we all would like.
You can't defend the last 2 periods played by Hellebuyck are not Bad Goaltending!
What you can’t defend is how utterly ridiculous and hyperbolic your posts are. Get a grip already.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Only reason tonight was close. Love the hot takes after the 1st period before the game is even over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad