Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season- IX: Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield and his wife are both battling cancer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I have not been following this closely enough so I am just going to ask. One year in, do we think Yoshida was a good signing or bad? Current roster configuration has to be taken into account. If we are saying it's a bad signing then woof on Chaim Bloom signing Story and Yoshida as his big ticket free agents.

If the roster is taken into account: horrible signing. If not taken into account: terrible signing

According to fWAR, he's at .4. Even the praised bat has regressed over the course of the season that it's only small plus above replacement (his approach with a 6% BB rate isn't as good as advertised). He's not a young rookie, but a player in his prime with plenty experience. The most likely outcome is: He will never come close to living up to the contract he got. His bat would have to be simply a good chunk better, base running and defense simply have become too much of a crucial part of the game. We are at an era where DH-only players don't really hold that much value unless they are really elite with the bat, truly elite. Devers can get away with being full time DH, Yoshida can not.

I really have no idea what Bloom was thinking by the Yoshida-signing, I really got nothing. If they wanted to give him away in the off-season, I doubt they'll find any takers without eating a significant part of the contract.

The Red Sox' OF has suddenly become crowded. They have Rafaela, Duran, Duvall*, Abreu, Verdugo, Refsnyder and Yoshida. If he was a free agent at the end of the season, I am not sure they'd even want him back.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
More of the same IMO.

Yeah the Trop sucks, but the biggest issue there is accessibility.
I live within 30 minutes of the Trop now and can honestly say I don’t understand why they are doing this. They need to be as close to downtown Tampa as possible (like the Lightning) not in St. Pete. There is no “attraction” to the general area where they are currently located and to me this feels like a very expensive band aid to cover something much larger than a flesh wound… especially if they are staying in roughly the same place. I don’t get it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
More of the same IMO.

Yeah the Trop sucks, but the biggest issue there is accessibility.
Isn't the entire argument from Rays fans is that the location in St. Pete is the biggest problem in regards to their attendance since it's over the bridge in rush hour traffic from the majority of their fanbase's home zip codes? Why would they keep the location then?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Isn't the entire argument from Rays fans is that the location in St. Pete is the biggest problem in regards to their attendance since it's over the bridge in rush hour traffic from the majority of their fanbase's home zip codes? Why would they keep the location then?
Without reading the details, a cheap owner getting a better deal from St. Pete than Tampa?

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
Without reading the details, a cheap owner getting a better deal from St. Pete than Tampa?
Very likely but just bad business by ownership in my opinion. The promise of large redevelopment in the area will only make getting to stadium more difficult. Also, what happens if the redevelopment plan does not go as expected? As is usually the case, hope and prayer are not good strategies in general and downright poor strategies in a financial realm.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
The Gandy bridge isn't super bad at that time but stay away from 275 that turns into a giant parking lot. Then you add that it is about a 30 minute drive from Tampa and you can see why a lot of people hate it.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
While his defense has hurt his WAR, his OPS is in line with last year. He's been his typical self at the plate.

Eh. Partly true. But he was less disciplined this year. Lots and lots of mistakes with RISP. He just wanted to hit homers every at bat. Which is fine, but lots of times we needed patience and just a base hit.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He has basically the same OBP. And that's with his batting average being down 17 points. It might feel different but he's been pretty close to the same.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Yes.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Meh. At least the kids aren't starving.

Also in tribute to Triston's great season. Hopefully his shoulder inflammation isn't anything to worry about for next year.

Screenshot_20230723_231042_Twitter.jpg

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have never been, but I know @KrejciMVP has been before to TB for games. What's your thoughts on this? Is the area down there fixable with a plan like this or is it going to be more of the same?

The Roman Empire shirts are going to be sick when this kid is a superstar :laugh:
im pretty excited. most of my experiences are at ancient Fenway and Olympic Stadium Montreal so a new state of the art park will be an experience

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
im pretty excited. most of my experiences are at ancient Fenway and Olympic Stadium Montreal so a new state of the art park will be an experience

You live in the area, right? Like area as in, able to attend games at The Trop.

It’s like Field of Dreams. If you build it, they will come. :laugh:

If a ballpark is nice and has some stuff to do around it or in it, it can be an awesome nice out / experience.

Camden Yards = perfect example. Let’s be real, surrounding area it has some nice parts but has some really sketchy parts. Immediate area around Camden is beautiful and it’s a Top 5 ballpark in the league (imo).

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You live in the area, right? Like area as in, able to attend games at The Trop.

It’s like Field of Dreams. If you build it, they will come. :laugh:

If a ballpark is nice and has some stuff to do around it or in it, it can be an awesome nice out / experience.

Camden Yards = perfect example. Let’s be real, surrounding area it has some nice parts but has some really sketchy parts. Immediate area around Camden is beautiful and it’s a Top 5 ballpark in the league (imo).

15 min from the park, probably been to 45 games in 3 years. It's pretty safe around the park, downtown St Pete is nice but nowhere near as big as Montreal

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Yeah, Bello had nothing today.

I haven't checked, but my guess is that this season is a career high for him in terms of innings pitched.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, Bello had nothing today.

I haven't checked, but my guess is that this season is a career high for him in terms of innings pitched.
I have been thinking they should shut him down. He proved enough this year. Now shut it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad