GDT: 2023 NHL Entry Draft - DAY 2

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Literally only guy out there that had Willander that high, he also had asp at 5th

Thats why he is not a gm anymore

Not that I do like Willander, but Benson was a better pick …. Take the best player available

By the way, follow Bob McKenzie’s picks
literally only guy who had virtanen ranked outside 1st round, mckenzie ranked jake virtanen 7th. everyone can hit and miss while ranking.
canucks projected him as better than benson too

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Nothing that happens after the 3rd round is ever a 'disaster'. Rounds 4-7 basically don't matter and the team could draft Allvin's grandparents and it wouldn't really change much.

5 years from now there will be 1 or 2 players out of the 130 selected in those rounds who actually move the needle.

In this one draft maybe but if you pull no one for years you can have McDavid and Draisaitl and still barely get into the playoffs.

Reactions: jigsaw99

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nothing that happens after the 3rd round is ever a 'disaster'. Rounds 4-7 basically don't matter and the team could draft Allvin's grandparents and it wouldn't really change much.

5 years from now there will be 1 or 2 players out of the 130 selected in those rounds who actually move the needle.

This is the reality of day 2 in the draft for almost all the dCanuck draftees this will be their highest moment of glory and hope for Canuck fans all downhill from here, except for those that still think that Jack Rathbone and Aidan Mcdonough can still make the show.....

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think this echoes how most of us are feeling….

Maybe it'll turn out that the Canucks scouts were very smart, and in a year or two it'll look like a good draft. I just wish that they'd had the nerve to trade down, starting in the first round and continuing. Acquire more picks. Take the chance that a bunch of these surprising selections would be available later.

It would have been a risk worth taking.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Literally only guy out there that had Willander that high, he also had asp at 5th

Thats why he is not a gm anymore

Not that I do like Willander, but Benson was a better pick …. Take the best player available

By the way, follow Bob McKenzie’s picks
I follow Button because he was low on Joulevi and Vertanen

The over agers are about trying to get guys that can play in a year or 2. 3rd/4th line.

Edmonton just gave away two 2017 first round picks for literally nothing. Ppl are getting way to wound up about the late rounds.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Picks the VGK traded in the last four years:

2024 4th for Adin Hill
2025 7th for Quick
2024 3rd + Diliberatore (2018 6th) for Blueger
Zach Dean (2021 1st #30) for Barbashev
Tuch + Krebs (2019 1st #17) + 2022 1st #16 for Eichel
Holden (UFA) + 2022 3rd for Dadonov
Nick DeSimone (UFA) + 2022 4th for Howden
2021 4th for Cousins
2020 2nd + 2021 2nd for Martinez
2021 5th for Stephenson

Drafted by year:
2019 = 8 picks (2x 3rds)
2020 = 6 picks (no 2nd, 2x 3rds)
2021 = 6 picks (no 3rd, 2x 4ths)
2022 = 6 picks (no 1st)
2023 = 4 picks (no 2nd, 2x 3rds, no 4th or 5th)

They traded an awful lot of "non-impact" picks for some very impactful players. They did that without much of a pick deficit over the years. Yeah draft picks are lottery balls but like any asset, if they are properly utilized they can be very powerful.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Saying picks in the 4th round or later don't matter at all is a sign that you've been a Canuck fan for too long and is hooked on copium. Canucks org being prerennially mid is probably because they cannot for the life of them find the late round gems like Perbix, Batherson, Sharangovich, Anderson, Palat, Rinne etc.... Ever. What's the point in hiring your scouting staff? Are teams like Carolina that consistently mine value out of low picks while contending not what any organisation strives for?

This draft was a C+ for me, they didn't fail, they did pretty well for their first two picks, but then bet horribly on low percentage guys with little statistical profile the rest of the way. When this team is already behind the eight ball organizationally thanks to the lost years under Benning, they need all engines firing if the goal is a cup. The goal for me as a fan is to see Pettersson win a cup, and they cannot sniff that by pissing away any picks. It makes no sense what they did from 4th round onwards. The process matters and they simply need to do better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
All you can hope is that the Canucks scouts have fanned out around NA and seen a lot of the kids they've drafted. And since hardly any of us have actually seen them play, I guess you just keep your fingers crossed.

Not normally a fan of drafting a 20-year old like Ty Mueller, who's already put in two seasons in the NCAA. But I guess they got lucky with Bains, so maybe he's another late bloomer.

Looks to me like the Canucks are loading up on prospect d-men, hoping one or two actually work out.

Reactions: mossey3535

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
no so you think you can draft thread?

I had to make one last year and barely any traction. I think its one of the funnest annual traditions.

I have no f***ing clue this year though for later picks. I finished grad school and havent had time for hockey really

Did anyone make it yet?

I agree, it's always fun to look back and see if any random shot in the dark picks end up hitting, and having it listed out in one post is nice compared to digging through a dozen pre-draft threads.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
the only common ground between a lot of these picks past Hunter and Alriksson seems to be those guy's teams won championships?
Saying picks in the 4th round or later don't matter at all is a sign that you've been a Canuck fan for too long and is hooked on copium. Canucks org being prerennially mid is probably because they cannot for the life of them find the late round gems like Perbix, Batherson, Sharangovich, Anderson, Palat, Rinne etc.... Ever. What's the point in hiring your scouting staff? Are teams like Carolina that consistently mine value out of low picks while contending not what any organisation strives for?

This draft was a C+ for me, they didn't fail, they did pretty well for their first two picks, but then bet horribly on low percentage guys with little statistical profile the rest of the way. When this team is already behind the eight ball organizationally thanks to the lost years under Benning, they need all engines firing if the goal is a cup. The goal for me as a fan is to see Pettersson win a cup, and they cannot sniff that by pissing away any picks. It makes no sense what they did from 4th round onwards. The process matters and they simply need to do better.
Totally agree even if the chances are slim you get an impactful player. Canucks are behind the ball and need every advantage they can get. The stark contrast in viable NHL prospects to other teams really highlights why you should not discount later picks.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Sure but to call it a failure on draft day because of round 4-7 is simply hilarious

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
In terms of prospect pool D, we're probably somewhere in the 6-10 range in the NHL now.

We have the #2/3 D from this draft along with a guy who is a top-10ish D from the last draft and probably the most impressive NCAA UFA from last spring. It's actually a pretty good group now.
Gonna have to disagree on that 6-10 ranking. We were ranked 28th in the spring.

No way what we drafted this week jumps us from 28 to the top 10

2 decent picks and then weirdness the rest of the draft.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't get it......The Canucks claim they value 'size' on the blueline.....then they go out and draft another bunch of d-men 5'11"-6' and 180 pounds.

I guess there's a chance some of these kids might pack on a pound or two, but you can't teach 'size'. And the fact is to play defense in the NHL at 6' 180-190 you've got to be exceptionally talented or tough as nails. NHL forwards are just too big, too strong and too fast.

Canucks look to have cornered the market on 6' defenders who likely top out as fodder for the AHL.
Dal Colle,Virtanen > Ehlers,Nylander

Cant teach size.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gonna have to disagree on that 6-10 ranking. We were ranked 28th in the spring.

No way what we drafted this week jumps us from 28 to the top 10

2 decent picks and then weirdness the rest of the draft.

I was talking only defensive prospects, and we're absolutely top-10 in the league on that front now.

As for overall, that 28th ranking was kind of BS as there were teams like Edmonton and NYI that we 100% should have been in front of rated inexplicably ahead of us. We should have been 24th or 25th and we're now probably up to middle of the pack.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I was talking only defensive prospects, and we're absolutely top-10 in the league on that front now.

As for overall, that 28th ranking was kind of BS as there were teams like Edmonton and NYI that we 100% should have been in front of rated inexplicably ahead of us. We should have been 24th or 25th and we're now probably up to middle of the pack.
the way how rankings are done is pretty stupid anyways. We were really high on the rankings a couple season ago but there were only like 2 prospects, Petey and Hughes and that was it. So yeah, better not take those ranking seriously.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Middle of the pack is fair.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the way how rankings are done is pretty stupid anyways. We were really high on the rankings a couple season ago but there were only like 2 prospects, Petey and Hughes and that was it. So yeah, better not take those ranking seriously.

But, I mean, that's correct.

System strength is almost entirely the top couple guys. Thinking you have a great prospect pool because you have a bunch of 6th rounders doing great in the CHL is fooling yourself.

Reactions: arttk

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Sure but to call it a failure on draft day because of round 4-7 is simply hilarious
its not a failure at all. We finally attempted to address the RHD hole with a kid that almost has a top5 floor. I dont see a #1 in him, but if he gets to 80% of his idol Heiskanen. The draft already gets a passing grade, a #2/#3 RHD is nothing to sneeze at. I simply cannot fathom a Juolevi type implosion from a driven individual. Just have to hope that those bottom pick can be developed enough to be used as currency in some bigger deals in the future. Right now, esp after hearing the rationale behind the picks from Harvey himself, it sounds farfetched.

its a failure only when you use hindsight and think we could've had Willander, Moore, Strbak, Brzustewicz and Perron with our first 5 picks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dal Colle,Virtanen > Ehlers,Nylander

Cant teach size.
Not sure what the size of these forwards has anything to do with playing defense.

Allvin is on record as admiring the Vegas blueline, because of its size, physicality and the ability to eliminate the forecheck along the walls.

The Canucks, on the other hand, with their undersized blueline, constantly gets abused in its own zone. That's just the reality of employing a bunch of d-men in the 6', 180-190 range.

So no, when it comes to your blueline, 'you can't teach size'.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not sure what the size of these forwards has anything to do with playing defense.

Allvin is on record as admiring the Vegas blueline, because of its size, physicality and the ability to eliminate the forecheck along the walls.

The Canucks, on the other hand, with their undersized blueline, constantly gets abused in its own zone. That's just the reality of employing a bunch of d-men in the 6', 180-190 range.

So no, when it comes to your blueline, 'you can't teach size'.
Still a prehistoric rubbish saying...Cal Foote,Logan Stanley > Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes..('thats a small body gentleman')

Vegas won with size on the blue line this year, doesnt mean that next year the Cup could be won with a smaller , more mobile D (then that will be the flavour of the month).

Obviously, you cant have all non physical PMD's on D..you do need a balanced D, which does include big physical players as well.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Fair enough, that's reasonable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad