• Ukraine

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • [Other]

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
The players don't take it serious because it isn't a best on best tournament. The best players in the world are still playing in the playoffs. If they held the tournament in July...then it could perhaps be different. But to be honest, with it happening every year, I would imagine it would still be basically an annual vacation/unwind party for the best players in the world. Gotta keep best on best a little less frequent. It makes them mean more because a player only gets so many kicks at the can.
Cale and Nate haven't played in weeks. :sarcasm:

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The players don't take it serious because it isn't a best on best tournament. The best players in the world are still playing in the playoffs. If they held the tournament in July...then it could perhaps be different. But to be honest, with it happening every year, I would imagine it would still be basically an annual vacation/unwind party for the best players in the world. Gotta keep best on best a little less frequent. It makes them mean more because a player only gets so many kicks at the can.
There are still like 150 Canadian NHLers not playing and they need 25. Players don't care because everyone decided we shouldn't.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
At one point lineups were good but the quality has fallen over the years and I don't know why.
Yeah, it's a bit weird. Perhaps something with the NHL and IIHF not collaborating properly. Of course with, for a lack of a better word, hardcore hockey fans internationally, the tournament has seen its value decrease while the WJC has seen an increase in popularity.

It seems that with a depreciation in the public discussion, the value of the tournament is tanking. I'm not defending that value, rather, it feels to me that the IIHF is failing here.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There are still like 150 Canadian NHLers not playing and they need 25. Players don't care because everyone decided we shouldn't.
Y'all are just being picky. I'm not sure why folks say the players don't care. I mean, Brad Hunt cared enough to stand tall for Canada. Canada also won like it's 28th straight IIHF World Championship, so it's not like they needed Connor MacCrosby.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yeah, it's a bit weird. Perhaps something with the NHL and IIHF not collaborating properly. Of course with, for a lack of a better word, hardcore hockey fans internationally, the tournament has seen its value decrease while the WJC has seen an increase in popularity.

It seems that with a depreciation in the public discussion, the value of the tournament is tanking. I'm not defending that value, rather, it feels to me that the IIHF is failing here.
Absolutely, for one reason or another they have let the glamour of that tournament fade.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Y'all are just being picky. I'm not sure why folks say the players don't care. I mean, Brad Hunt cared enough to stand tall for Canada. Canada also won like it's 28th straight IIHF World Championship, so it's not like they needed Connor MacCrosby.
The idea is to have an elevated competition. They will fill out teams, for lower tier guys like Hunt it is still a thrill and something he can hang a hat on when he retires, a World Championship. It's just sad that it is not a huge honnor for guys (that matter) to represent their countries.

If you put all the NHL guys from eliminated teams in that tournament, it's a pretty good tournament.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Surprised that Canada won, that team looked as best as Sweden did on paper, which isn't saying much. I thought the USA team was in the same situation as Canada (though worse), but they also got to the final four, so what do I know?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The idea is to have an elevated competition. They will fill out teams, for lower tier guys like Hunt it is still a thrill and something he can hang a hat on when he retires, a World Championship. It's just sad that it is not a huge honnor for guys (that matter) to represent their countries.

If you put all the NHL guys from eliminated teams in that tournament, it's a pretty good tournament.
It would be. Except that after an 82-game regular season, plus whatever post season games a player may have played prior to elimination is a lot of wear and tear and at that point in the year, it's just a bad time. Everyone's banged up and hurt.

What I'd like to see tried first is for the IIHF to work closely with the NHL and have the tournament in September. The NHL gets the benefit of its players getting a "tune-up" prior the season, they can shorten pre-season or hold it for players not involved in the tournament during the tournament and you can still start the season on Oct. 1st. I understand the increased risk of injury (to a team because the tourney is now at the end vs beginning of summer) but it would still be worth it in my book, if you want to make the tournament better. I think players would be more open to it, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated rather than feeling down, defeated and sore.

My ultimate fear though is that no matter what you do, asking the NHL players to show up and take it seriously every year is probably too much. I really think every two to four years is more than enough for a best-on-best tournament. Every year tarnishes their "special-ness". Get the World Championships of Hockey running opposite the Olympics. Allow the players to negotiate participation in both during the next CBA and call it good.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It would be. Except that after an 82-game regular season, plus whatever post season games a player may have played prior to elimination is a lot of wear and tear and at that point in the year, it's just a bad time. Everyone's banged up and hurt.

What I'd like to see tried first is for the IIHF to work closely with the NHL and have the tournament in September. The NHL gets the benefit of its players getting a "tune-up" prior the season, they can shorten pre-season or hold it for players not involved in the tournament during the tournament and you can still start the season on Oct. 1st. I understand the increased risk of injury (to a team because the tourney is now at the end vs beginning of summer) but it would still be worth it in my book, if you want to make the tournament better. I think players would be more open to it, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated rather than feeling down, defeated and sore.

My ultimate fear though is that no matter what you do, asking the NHL players to show up and take it seriously every year is probably too much. I really think every two to four years is more than enough for a best-on-best tournament. Every year tarnishes their "special-ness". Get the World Championships of Hockey running opposite the Olympics. Allow the players to negotiate participation in both during the next CBA and call it good.
The format and timing for sure needs tweeking because it's heading in the wrong direction. I would still like to see it held each year like other sports, the World Championship is a yearly thing, it's not the Olympics/World Cup/Canada Cup.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The format and timing for sure needs tweeking because it's heading in the wrong direction. I would still like to see it held each year like other sports, the World Championship is a yearly thing, it's not the Olympics/World Cup/Canada Cup.
Well, I'm used to it yearly, but then again soccer doesn't do yearly and their World Cup/Euros are always great.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Well, I'm used to it yearly, but then again soccer doesn't do yearly and their World Cup/Euros are always great.
I see the Mundial like Hockey's Canada Cup/World Cup. It would be hard for the NHL to lose a "World Cup" type event to the benefit of the IIHF. Also the IIHF probably wants a yearly tournament for the $. Overall, the whole thing needs harmonization between the NHL/IIHF/Olympic Committee so that we get a steady diet of best-on-best tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad