2023 ATD Poll: Trades or no Trades

Should trading be allowed?

• Total voters

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'd personally like no trading across the board once the draft starts. We've always allowed at least pre draft trades of full sets of picks IIRC.

It's more of a one off for me. I wouldn't mind seeing trading coming back say next year. Besides the fact that it'll speed the process up, it also presents a different challenge given most years there has been draft picks changing hands throughout the draft itself. So by eliminating trades all together, it "spices" the stew up. Those that are truly trying to win this have to adjust their target lists based on a rule (no trading) we haven't had to worry about in some time.

I'm setting a personal no trade policy for myself, regardless of how the vote turns out, but that's my .02. Good with whatever the masses want.

Full pre draft pick swaps (yes)
Trading picks during draft (no)
Trading players during draft (no).

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No trade drafts have always been boring.

Completely dependent on the fate of how the board plays out.

Learned helplessness.

You need that powerforward LWer and only a few left on the board? Just pray. Nothing you can do.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
No trade drafts have always been boring.

Completely dependent on the fate of how the board plays out.

Learned helplessness.

You need that powerforward LWer and only a few left on the board? Just pray. Nothing you can do.

I think it's boring if you do it year after year. I honesty can't remember the last time we had a no trade draft. While the earliest rounds are generally pretty static as far as where players go, you do get more variance as the draft moves on past say rounds 5/6.

Again, I think there is some strategy to not being able to trade after years of being able to to do so. It will change the premium on certain players/styles, possibly causing some reaches or players falling.

Again, I think for me, I'd like to see 1 year of no trades this go around, and then move back into the realm of being able to trade picks only in 2024 and beyond, as adding players to the mix does seem to create some contentious moments.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think it's boring if you do it year after year. I honesty can't remember the last time we had a no trade draft. While the earliest rounds are generally pretty static as far as where players go, you do get more variance as the draft moves on past say rounds 5/6.

Again, I think there is some strategy to not being able to trade after years of being able to to do so. It will change the premium on certain players/styles, possibly causing some reaches or players falling.

Again, I think for me, I'd like to see 1 year of no trades this go around, and then move back into the realm of being able to trade picks only in 2024 and beyond, as adding players to the mix does seem to create some contentious moments.

I've done both several times, the no trade drafts have always been more boring. I don't deny the strategic implications, but ultimately no-trading draft = less control over your destiny.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I hope the fact that we should impose a prohibition in perpetuity on the trading of players is not lost because we have instituted a no-trade draft this year. I fear that it will be.

I'll repeat myself once more. We should never, ever, again allow drafted players to be traded.

Definitely

Reactions: Elvis P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad