2023 ATD Poll #3: Less Experienced GMs choose draft-slots

Will we permit inexperienced/less experienced GMs to choose their draft-position?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have no strong feelings about this one, other than I really don't want to get into an argument over who counts as "inexperienced."

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I have no strong feelings about this one, other than I really don't want to get into an argument over who counts as "inexperienced."
Agreed. I'm fine with letting GMs in their first two drafts choose their slot. Anything beyond that gets a no from me. There are a number of GMs (including myself) who have won the whole draft on their third try without selecting their slots.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Agreed. I'm fine with letting GMs in their first two drafts choose their slot. Anything beyond that gets a no from me. There are a number of GMs (including myself) who have won the whole draft on their third try without selecting their slots.

This is very reasonable. Rookies/2nd year GMs pick anything from 5 to whatever.

I think the top 4 should always be random.

Reactions: Sturminator

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I like the idea of "vote the proposition first, work out the details later." That said, we'll have to work out the details pretty quick, presuming the resolution is passed.

I have NO problem with letting any abject rookies (i.e.: no experience) choose one of the top-3, if they want. It's the least we can do to reward them for their courage & commitment. [I'm not convinced slot '4' is any more advantageous than slot '5.' We've a a couple (few?!) winners from Bucket #5.] That said, maybe slot #5 might not be as desirable as it normally is- if our league-size doesn't get much larger than a dozen.

Experienced Champions (and other canny observers) want no part of being assigned a middle-of-order draft position- which is understandable.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Experienced Champions (and other canny observers) want no part of being assigned a middle-of-order draft position- which is understandable.

The first time I was allowed to pick my own spot, I picked middle-of-order since I hadn't had it before. Then random chance gave me middle picks for the next few drafts (yuck), so I picked 5-9 as that was the one area of the draft I had yet to be in.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to play this who just wants a different draft start every time.

(This is not giving an opinion on the poll options; just responding to this particular statement of yours)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
This is very reasonable. Rookies/2nd year GMs pick anything from 5 to whatever.

I think the top 4 should always be random.
This is probably the best rule, and I'd vote for it, but honestly I don't care if newer GMs are allowed to take top-4 picks, either. Those players haven't proven to be such a stupendous advantage in the ATD, and the option to instantly build around a top-4 player (for two years) could be appealing to new GMs.

Of course, it's all for naught if we don't find some way to recruit new GMs to the draft. I'm no recruiter, so my opinion doesn't matter that much.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
This is probably the best rule, and I'd vote for it, but honestly I don't care if newer GMs are allowed to take top-4 picks, either. Those players haven't proven to be such a stupendous advantage in the ATD, and the option to instantly build around a top-4 player (for two years) could be appealing to new GMs.

Of course, it's all for naught if we don't find some way to recruit new GMs to the draft. I'm no recruiter, so my opinion doesn't matter that much.

Honestly I have no problem if we give rookies an option to start in the top 4 either, as you pointed out it's not as if those slots are producing ATD winners in a consistent manner.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Honestly I have no problem if we give rookies an option to start in the top 4 either, as you pointed out it's not as if those slots are producing ATD winners in a consistent manner.
I think it could be scaled. True rookies could have the option of choosing top 4, provided there were enough slots, while second-time players could choose anything but top 4.

Reactions: rmartin65

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I have no problem if anyone wants to try a certain draft point whether they are new or just want to start from a new position in the draft.

Like as long as it is an occasional thing and someone doesn't want #1 every year or something!

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Is there any first-time GM's currently signed up...?

I think Professor What is the closest newbie here, so this thread could be a moot point for this year at least. I'd be fine with the Professor picking his draft spot if he so chooses.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Is there any first-time GM's currently signed up...?

I think Professor What is the closest newbie here, so this thread could be a moot point for this year at least. I'd be fine with the Professor picking his draft spot if he so chooses.
We've got a potential first timer who's put out a feeler. They did ask about co-GMing though, so it might still be a moot point.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the idea of "vote the proposition first, work out the details later." That said, we'll have to work out the details pretty quick, presuming the resolution is passed.

It looks like we already have an answer on this poll. Should we have a follow up poll to determine if the Top 4 spots are eligible to be chosen?

EDIT: or maybe we make 2-4 eligible, but leave the #1 pick open for the lottery?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Preliminary idea:

#1- an "everybody-in-the-pool" lottery for #1 overall.
#2 select-your-slot" for those who've had 0-1-2 drafts (in "reverse-seniority" order).
#3 lottery the remainder.

I'd prefer to have a "derby-lottery #1" for those who've never been in a final (and then they would pick their slots), and then a "derby-lottery #2" for those who've been to multiple finals* (who, at present moment, are c. a third of our franchises), who would then select from the remainder. However, I don't think this will prove popular with the "Killer Whales" in our group.

*I'm not seeing anyone who's been to just one final- but if such a person exists, they could be flipped into derby-lottery #1 with the average cadavers like me.

Reactions: nabby12

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Preliminary idea:

#1- an "everybody-in-the-pool" lottery for #1 overall.
#2 select-your-slot" for those who've had 0-1-2 drafts (in "reverse-seniority" order).
#3 lottery the remainder.

I'm fine with this.

I'd also be fine with letting everyone pick their spots if they wish, with new GMs getting first choice. (I've finally started in every range as of last year, so I would just pick random myself).

Of course your proposal would be less work to implement, so it's probably what should happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad