GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers 4/28/24 EDM leads 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I’m an oilers fan, just sayin’: the doom and gloom in here is extremely familiar to me. We have often been bad, even when we were supposed to be good.

Every time we match up against the Kings I’m worried. The Kings are a good team, full stop. It’s hard to believe the Oilers managed to win last night with McDavid completely contained again. Theres a bunch of 1 shot scorers on the Kings like Kempe and I always assume they’re going to be good for a dagger out of nowhere. Feels a bit lucky to escape last night with a W. (what has happened to Fiala?)

I wont bother with the obvious (like, maybe patience would have been a better option than the pld trade). But I’ll just say it seems like this Kings team would have been good enough to win some series over the last couple years if things had lined up differently. I have a soft spot for em, 1 or 2 isolated incidents aside.

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
I’m an oilers fan, just sayin’: the doom and gloom in here is extremely familiar to me. We have often been bad, even when we were supposed to be good.

Every time we match up against the Kings I’m worried. The Kings are a good team, full stop. It’s hard to believe the Oilers managed to win last night with McDavid completely contained again. Theres a bunch of 1 shot scorers on the Kings like Kempe and I always assume they’re going to be good for a dagger out of nowhere. Feels a bit lucky to escape last night with a W. (what has happened to Fiala?)

I wont bother with the obvious (like, maybe patience would have been a better option than the pld trade). But I’ll just say it seems like this Kings team would have been good enough to win some series over the last couple years if things had lined up differently. I have a soft spot for em, 1 or 2 isolated incidents aside.
i am asking in all honesty what "incidents" are you talking about? I have been watching the kings forever and ever thing with the oilers has been mild. I wish the kings had been more physical with the oilers, they have been soft compared to our successful teams

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Played the first period tonight that they needed to play on Friday night. Too little, too late as it usually has been since pulling it out in the nick of time in 2014.

Fiala trade looking like a disaster again because the argument of never winning anything with him during his prime production years gains more steam.

What can you say about the PLD trade/contract that hasn't been said? It's just a job ending move and Blake can't be allowed to stay. It's almost like Blake didn't care if he had the job next season when making the PLD acquisition.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Jordan Spence, PLD, Viktor Arvidsson, Arthur Kaliyev, Cam Talbot, Matt Roy, Trevor Lewis, and Carl Grundstrom all need to go in the Summer.

As far as I'm concerned we have :

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - X
Fiala - Lizotte - X
X
- X - Laferriere
(Akil Thomas, Samuel Fagemo, Alex Turcotte)

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - X
Englund - X
(Brandt Clarke)

X
Rittich

Reactions: bouncesonly

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
Jordan Spence, PLD, Viktor Arvidsson, Arthur Kaliyev, Cam Talbot, Matt Roy, Trevor Lewis, and Carl Grundstrom all need to go in the Summer.

Moore - Danault - X
Fiala - Lizotte - X
X
- X - Laferriere

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - X
Englund - X
(Brandt Clarke)

X
Rittich
really you call out Spence and not Lizotte and Gavrikov? You even take Englund over Spence?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Spence is nothing special.

People are just horny over him the same way they were LaDue.
This was only his first full NHL season, I think he will continue to improve for a couple more years. Should be a keeper. Martinez didn't look very good in his first season and he became a stud. I'm not saying he's Brian Leetch but I think he'll be a solid d-man for years.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Moore - Danault - X
Fiala - Lizotte - X
X
- X - Laferriere

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - X
Englund - X
(Brandt Clarke)

X
Rittich
Please add this guy to the list. And if he's still centering Fiala the new coach needs to be canned as well.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Funny enough until the last 5 min that was the best game LA has played in ages. Aggressive, hitting everything that moved, they had the arena rocking...just couldn't pop one to blow the top off and we knew what was coming when the PP came. If they give that effort every night instead of backing off and ineffectively shelling up and maybe they're not in this predicament and we're not calling the entire organization a bunch of cowards.

Then again, sitting Byfield for the last 5 min and playing PLD is definitely a choice. Maybe they're just trying to get some guys their last minutes in a Kings jersey or something because the inexplicable decisions continue.

Also have to love them shitting their pants over HAVING to play LHD-RHD to justify Englund in the lineup and sitting Clarke then going to Doughty-Spence when they need some offense...if only there was some offense on the bench somewhere...

please just hurry up and kill me

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
i am asking in all honesty what "incidents" are you talking about? I have been watching the kings forever and ever thing with the oilers has been mild. I wish the kings had been more physical with the oilers, they have been soft compared to our successful teams

Obviously not getting into it here, and nothing this year, but safe to say the Draisaitl injury was not well received in Edmonton, we’d be getting into the weeds beyond that ;)

Nothing like Pietrangelo two handing Drai after the game with minimal consequences though

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’m so tired of the Oilers matchup. It just exposes all the weakness of the Kings.

I’m not sure it gets better going forward.

I’m guessing they let go of the UFAs and replace them with Ontario guys next year due to cap issues alone.

Team is just mid.

At least we had 12-14

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some major unexpected disappointments to add to the usual suspects

Unexpected

Arvidsson--I kind of want to give him a pass as he's running off mostly adrenaline after being gone most of the season but what a no show. Not a total liability, but no finish.

Moore--hopefully he's hurt because he's practically invisible, if anything he just looks like Lizotte but pumping his legs less.

Roy--Didn't expect much offense but also didn't expect his defense to kind of fall off a cliff. Getting exposed everywhere. Kid year?

Gavrikov--was never the same after the knee injury but a LOT of no-reason coughed up pucks and he isn't exactly agile enough to recover. We're basically only getting good hockey out of Spence and inconsistent hockey but good relative to matchup out of Doughty and Anderson (our new rush guy apparently)

Expected

Fiala--he's ALWAYS been a playoff no show but jesus christ it's not even a matter of stupid golden retreiver mistakes it's basically looking like nerves and shot confidence

PLD--i mean maybe it's even worse than expected but who outside the organization didn't see this coming

Talbot--all respect for him, I don't hate the guy, but it was really clear he was toast LAST month, and the insistence on riding him was an old-school decision that I can understand but totally disagree with.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Every captain in Kings history save Dustin Brown is a failed captain thus far because only Brown won the cup, but we’ve never even won a playoff series in Kopitar’s tenure, as crazy as that sounds. I’m not pinning these roster woes on Kopitar but that doesn’t change the outcomes for him unfortunately. He deserved better.
Matty Norstrom when he was being honored a few years back said he didn't know why the fans loved him so much because the teams he led never did anything.
That man definitely deserved better.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don’t think the Kings played their best game of the series, it felt more like the Oilers allowed them to play their preferred brand of hockey.

In game three, the Oilers won by being more physical. Last night, it was like their game plan was to play shut it down hockey. They’re sending the message that they can beat the Kings in any fashion they choose.

Their top six forwards and top four D all played more minutes last night than in the game three 6-1 blowout. McDavid and Draisatl each played around 18 minutes that night. But last night they were closer to 21 minutes each.

All their top guys got around 2-3 more minutes last night and the bulk of the game was 5v5. They’re saying to the Kings that the idea of Kopitar and Danault shutting down McDavid and Draisatl isn’t the matchup you think it is.

The Kings had an opportunity to get the matchup with last change. But they stuck to their philosophy and we saw what happened. Not having the last change next game is a problem, but they need to try and get their best players out against the Oilers bottom six.

For example, coming off a PK, assuming you find a way to be successful, maybe save Kopitar and Kempe for the next even strength shift. Because you know the Oilers big guns play the whole two minutes if they fail to score.

Reactions: Rick Knickleback

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
I noti
Biggest disappointments of the series for me:
Gavrikov, Moore and Arvidsson.
P.S. Mediocre goalies and bad coaches are not disappointments.
It is team design issues.
I've noticed that the Oilers really smother our smaller players and render them ineffective.

Those are the guys that fire the engine for the Kings. Big problem.

Moore, Fiala, Lizotte and Arvidsson have just had no space and time.

As always, IMHO.

Reactions: kinghock

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Gavrikov has played like ass

but next game, the logical thing to do is to scratch PLD & Englund and have Thomas and Clarke play

*and yes you can have two RDs on the same line, YOU might not be able to play LD as an RD, but a professional can

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Obviously not getting into it here, and nothing this year, but safe to say the Draisaitl injury was not well received in Edmonton, we’d be getting into the weeds beyond that ;)

Nothing like Pietrangelo two handing Drai after the game with minimal consequences though
Wow, the lack of self-awareness WRT Draisaitl is rich. It's like a pig being mad at the mud for getting him dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan