2023-24 Vezina Trophy finalists: Sergei Bobrovsky, Thatcher Demko, Connor Hellebuyck

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
With the number of times MAF has lost his starting job or melted down for the Pens in the playoffs you'd think people would have similar qualms, but if he gets in, and the consensus is that he easily will, Bob should absolutely get the same treatment. Hell, Bob is a much better candidate IMO.

Thomas would be in if he wasn't such a nut.
I'm on record on HF recently saying people are nuts for placing MAF as a HOF goalie for exactly this reason.

Imagine Roy or Brodeur or Hasek losing their starting position in the playoffs during their prime or being so atrocious that their otherwise star-studded team gets bounced in the 1st round multiple times.

MAF has nice win totals because he's been around forever and also he seems like an awesome dude but as a goalie he's bang average.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
With the number of times MAF has lost his starting job or melted down for the Pens in the playoffs you'd think people would have similar qualms, but if he gets in, and the consensus is that he easily will, Bob should absolutely get the same treatment. Hell, Bob is a much better candidate IMO.

Thomas would be in if he wasn't such a nut.
Not that you asked but I looked it up since I think it's funny how recently I said exactly this in a "vote for HOF goalies" poll in which Fleury had the most votes.

From April 16th:

"Fleury leading the poll? :huh:

Why do people want to put people in the HOF for being mediocre but for a very, very, long time?

The dude almost single handedly got the Pens kicked out of the playoffs multiple times and had to be replaced by his backup in the playoffs in what should have been the prime of his career.

He was never anything better than an average goalie he just happens to have stuck around for a real long time so his career win totals are high. His Vezina came in a season where he played 36 games.

Stop watering down the HOF with extended mediocrity. If you were never top 5 at your position for multiple years please stay away.

He's the Patrick Marleau of goalies."

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Easily Hellebuyck this year. Its a regular season award and he's got all the stats that matte most. Had he not been injured I'd have put Demko second.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Bob has such a weird career. Two Vezinas, a 3rd nom now, (I think Helle is a lock to win), also has a significant amount of time being an albatross contract and totally untradeable bum, but then also had a spectacular run to the finals last year.

Hard to weigh his HOF case. Has the trohpies and elite seasons but also was a below average goalie for years during what should have been his prime.

He and Tim Thomas are two very odd cases and hard guys to place.
he will be nearly a lock to HHOF when he retires

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
he will be nearly a lock to HHOF when he retires
Yeah after last years run to the finals and this season I agree I just think it's a weird career considering how on paper he looks like one of the greatest to ever do it with 2 Vezinas and 3 noms and yet for four years prior to last years playoffs teams wouldn't have taken him for a 7th round pick due to not being even remotely worth his contract.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm on record on HF recently saying people are nuts for placing MAF as a HOF goalie for exactly this reason.

Imagine Roy or Brodeur or Hasek losing their starting position in the playoffs during their prime or being so atrocious that their otherwise star-studded team gets bounced in the 1st round multiple times.

MAF has nice win totals because he's been around forever and also he seems like an awesome dude but as a goalie he's bang average.
The Hof should be for players and goalies who have shown to excel and be the best at what they do not for guys who have high high picks and extremely low lows.

It's frustrating seeing how Penguins fans were ready to tear Fleury limb to limb whenever he shit the bet.

As soon as a new shiny toy came along (Murray) they couldn't wait to kick him out the door only to soon after long for his presence again.

Being thrown onto a stacked team doesn't make you an all time great ESPECIALLY when you are the sole reason those stacked teams underperformed year in year out.

Nice guy but most overrated goalie ever.

Lots of people seem to be ready to crown average goalies as the next greatest Roy or Hasek impersonator once they string 10 good games together.

Next or in two years fans will turn on all of those guys again waiting to get draft picks for their "all time goalie". It always happens and always will unless your goalie is someone who shows it for more than 2 years in a row.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Bob has such a weird career. Two Vezinas, a 3rd nom now, (I think Helle is a lock to win), also has a significant amount of time being an albatross contract and totally untradeable bum, but then also had a spectacular run to the finals last year.

Hard to weigh his HOF case. Has the trohpies and elite seasons but also was a below average goalie for years during what should have been his prime.

He and Tim Thomas are two very odd cases and hard guys to place.
I hate how contracts influence the perception of a player's career.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I hate how contracts influence the perception of a player's career.
His numbers were god awful. Not like he was a good but overpaid goalie. For a few years he was a legitimately awful and extremely overpaid goalie.

50 gp - 3.23 GAA - .900 SV%
31 gp - 2.91 GAA - .906 SV%
50 gp - 3.07 GAA - .901 SV%

Those are bad numbers for a goalie making 2 million much less 10.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
His numbers were god awful. Not like he was a good but overpaid goalie. For a few years he was a legitimately awful and extremely overpaid goalie.

50 gp - 3.23 GAA - .900 SV%
31 gp - 2.91 GAA - .906 SV%
50 gp - 3.07 GAA - .901 SV%

Those are bad numbers for a goalie making 2 million much less 10.

900+ over 50+ games is solid in today's NHL, where scoring is up. A goalie doing that over 50 games would be worth way more than 2M. There are probably not even 20 goalies in the league capable of doing that with a starters schedule.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Hellebuyck will be close to unanimous. Demko had an outside shot until he missed the last 5 weeks of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: