2023-24 Vezina Trophy finalists: Sergei Bobrovsky, Thatcher Demko, Connor Hellebuyck

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Joey Daccord should have been a finalist when you take into consideration his level of play compared to the other goalies on his team, and the play of the team in front of him.

But I get him not making it because those three all have good cases, and notoriety both in being on a winning team and being a known quantity likely plays a factor in voting.

I am also coming from a standpoint where "wins" are a team stat, not a goalie stat. If you're looking at wins as a goalie stat, than multiple other goalies like Bobrovsky would trump Daccord.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Bob has such a weird career. Two Vezinas, a 3rd nom now, (I think Helle is a lock to win), also has a significant amount of time being an albatross contract and totally untradeable bum, but then also had a spectacular run to the finals last year.

Hard to weigh his HOF case. Has the trohpies and elite seasons but also was a below average goalie for years during what should have been his prime.

He and Tim Thomas are two very odd cases and hard guys to place.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hellebuyck will likely win but it would’ve been cool to see Bob get #3

Would have? Bob is nominated - am I misreading your post?

I've criticized Bob in the past - but was stellar in playoffs last year, and great, consistent and reliable this year, so well deserved nomination. I'd be shocked to see him outright win though - I suspect he's #2 or 3, and Helle wins.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The return of Bob is amazing.

From worst contact in the NHL and backup goalies to conn Smythe candidate on the way to the SCF to Vezina finalist in less than a year.

Reactions: bh53 and MaWa

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
The award is Hellebuyck's to lose but I'm glad Thatcher's getting recognized for his awesome year too

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's nice to see Demko get some recognition. He's been amazing this year. I think if he hadn't got injured, there was an outside chance he could have taken this, but as I said, it's just nice to see him turn some heads!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If Demko hadn't gotten injured, I think this would have been a closer race. Although, he did start to slow down a little even prior to said injury. Meanwhile, Helly was all world good. Can't see any reason he doesn't win.

Reactions: Zanon

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Hellebuyck not even the best goalie on his team.

1714415157874.png

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Would have? Bob is nominated - am I misreading your post?

I've criticized Bob in the past - but was stellar in playoffs last year, and great, consistent and reliable this year, so well deserved nomination. I'd be shocked to see him outright win though - I suspect he's #2 or 3, and Helle wins.

Bob's not going to win, so he's not going to get Vezina #3.

Reactions: bobholly39

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Glad to see Demko get some recognition. During the trade deadline last season when there were rumours Demko was on the trade block, people here were mocking Canucks fans for suggesting Demko is a top 10 goalie in the league. Feels good man

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bobrovsky over Binnington is ridiculous.

GMs consistently prove they have no idea how to evaluate goaltending with their signings and trades involving the position, yet they get to vote on the position. Its maddening.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Bob has such a weird career. Two Vezinas, a 3rd nom now, (I think Helle is a lock to win), also has a significant amount of time being an albatross contract and totally untradeable bum, but then also had a spectacular run to the finals last year.

Hard to weigh his HOF case. Has the trohpies and elite seasons but also was a below average goalie for years during what should have been his prime.

He and Tim Thomas are two very odd cases and hard guys to place.
With the number of times MAF has lost his starting job or melted down for the Pens in the playoffs you'd think people would have similar qualms, but if he gets in, and the consensus is that he easily will, Bob should absolutely get the same treatment. Hell, Bob is a much better candidate IMO.

Thomas would be in if he wasn't such a nut.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00