2023-24 Ted Lindsay Award finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This might be the first time I've ever heard of players supposedly having voter fatigue. Logically, they would be less prone to it than journalists.
I mean, Gretzky won something like 8 or 9 straight Harts/Art Ross trophies but yet only has 5 Pearson/Lindseys to his name. So clearly for about 3 or 4 of those seasons the players chose not to vote for someone who dominated the season.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Mcdavid was the 4th best player. No shame in that. Hes just not mario or wayne and thats ok
McDavid adjusted:
645 GP: 1038 P (1.61)

Lemieux (first 9) adjusted:
577 GP: 944 P (1.64)

McDavid: 3 Hart, 5 Ross, 4 Lindsay
Lemieux: 2 Hart, 4 Ross, 3 Lindsay

That looks pretty Mario to me at the same point. The difference for the first 9 as a whole is Lemieux’s 2 cups. That is what gives him the edge in my book but it’s essentially even here. Saw both play and Lemieux was better but McDavid has had a top 4 career start (outside of team awards). For the record I think the players actually got it “right” even though McDavid very well could have been a finalist as well this season. There is no reason for a player to terrorize you psychologically to this degree.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I mean, Gretzky won something like 8 or 9 straight Harts/Art Ross trophies but yet only has 5 Pearson/Lindseys to his name. So clearly for about 3 or 4 of those seasons the players chose not to vote for someone who dominated the season.
Players get voting fatigue too. Gretzky "only" won 5 Pearson/Lindsay awards when he should have would around 10.
More like 7. Liut and Mario should not have won in '81 or '86, but there's a good argument for every other season that he didn't win whether you agree with it or not.

Also, its been talked about many times before elsewhere on hf but seems like this is still not well known - The Pearson/Lindsay wasn't always understood as being given the league's "most outstanding player" Initially it was stated to be an award that was given to the played who "contributed the most to hockey".

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
When McDavid Won the Lindsey leaf fans said the Heart was more important then as expected--the Lindsey is more important
No, I didn't.

Realistically, the votes between these three and McDavid are probably very close, and whoever edged out McDavid for third probably did so with a very slim margin.
Of course, the fact that he didn't make the top 3 like indicates he was 4th.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
why? Because Matthews comes third place in an award all while getting knocked out in the 1st round once again?
He might be higher than third, but that is the minimum place that he can be. The votes are done in the regular season, for all players not just Matthews. That is the reason why we know the finalists now.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He might be higher than third, but that is the minimum place that he can be. The votes are done in the regular season, for all players not just Matthews. That is the reason why we know the finalists now.
Congratulations on explaining the award. Now, back to the original question… why would anyone be “punching air” when we just watched him get eliminated once again in hilarious and embarrassing fashion?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Congratulations on explaining the award. Now, back to the original question… why would anyone be “punching air” when we just watched him get eliminated once again in hilarious and embarrassing fashion?
Yes, I am happy to explain for you. I will also explain the next question for you and will endeavour to answer anything else that you need help with. "Punching air" is the result of some posters disappointment and frustration of seeing a player being nominated for an award when they don't think he deserves to be there.
Auston Matthews and Nikita Kucherov are both finalist whose teams have been eliminated in the first round once again. It is irrelevant whether you find either Tampa's 4 games to 1 series loss or last years for games to 2 loss in the first round or Toronto's game seven loss this years or last years 4 games to 1 loss last year hilarious and embarrassing or not.
The players voted on who they believe is the most outstanding player or not.
Your team will like have players nominated in the future- they have in the past.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Because people got all hot and bothered that he won this award once already and plenty of people here made jokes about him not being a finalist for the Hart? You making jokes sort of proves my point - you feel the need to try to make jokes and tear him down as a player even though his peers think he was a top 3 player this year.

Would love to hear it how it starts;
"Hi, I'm an avid hockey fan and frequent poster on HFBoards, one of the most prestigious hockey fan websites on the entire internet! With thousands of posts on this site alone, you can see that it's quite clear that I'm a distinguished expert when it comes to the sport. My dedication and obsession clearly make my opinions more valid and surpasses those of the so-called armchair experts who actually play the sport..." :laugh:
Throw in a 'Matthews is the most overrated player in the league, how dare you vote him top 3!' and I think you're spot on.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because people got all hot and bothered that he won this award once already and plenty of people here made jokes about him not being a finalist for the Hart? You making jokes sort of proves my point - you feel the need to try to make jokes and tear him down as a player even though his peers think he was a top 3 player this year.

Throw in a 'Matthews is the most overrated player in the league, how dare you vote him top 3!' and I think you're spot on.
Congrats on him being the 3rd best player in a vote.

Unfortunately for Leaf fans, he’s about 28th on the best playoff players list (again).

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Congrats on him being the 3rd best player in a vote.

Unfortunately for Leaf fans, he’s about 28th on the best playoff players list (again).
1. The results haven't been announced yet, so however likely that may be, you don't know anything.

2. It's a regular season award, we all know the Leafs suck in the playoffs. Yawn.

3. I can tell how much it bothers you.

• Haha
Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1. The results haven't been announced yet, so however likely that may be, you don't know anything.

2. It's a regular season award, we all know the Leafs suck in the playoffs. Yawn.

3. I can tell how much it bothers you.
Absolutely nothing about the Leaf’s bothers anyone anymore knowing the absolute meltdown that comes every spring

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Absolutely nothing about the Leaf’s bothers anyone anymore knowing the absolute meltdown that comes every spring
I think it's clear that him being a finalist triggered something in your brain otherwise you wouldn't be in here posting multiple times trying to minimize it and using the same old tired insults that we're all well aware of. It's a regular season award, how good or bad the Leafs are in the playoffs has absolutely nothing to do with him being a finalist. It's an irrelevant argument and attempt to be funny.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think it's clear that him being a finalist triggered something in your brain otherwise you wouldn't be in here posting multiple times trying to minimize it and using the same old tired insults that we're all well aware of. It's a regular season award, how good or bad the Leafs are in the playoffs has absolutely nothing to do with him being a finalist. It's an irrelevant argument and attempt to be funny.
No I'm laughing at Leaf fans (you) attempting to flex after another playoff failure.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
No I'm laughing at Leaf fans (you) attempting to flex after another playoff failure.
No one is flexing, pal. Leafs fans can be happy that the best player on the team had a great regular season and was a finalist for a major award (especially one voted on by actual players with a relevant opinion, not internet warriors like you) while also being disappointed and frustrated at the lack of playoff success. Both can exist - we're well aware of how bad the Leafs have been in the playoffs. Unlike your inability to separate Matthews performance in the regular season and the team's success in the playoffs, most of us are capable of viewing things separately.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, winning one round in 8 years is not something to flex about though I don't think anyone has. Still, I wouldn't trade those 8 years for the previous 8 years of not making the playoffs. Some teams are out of the playoffs every year when it is still winter.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
I think the Lindsay winner votes will be split quite a bit. Don’t think it’s gonna be a runaway for anybody.

Mack had an amazing season is a hart finalist and battled for the Art Ross all season

Kuch had an amazing season too. Art Ross win and 100 assists.

Matthews put up the most goals in a long time while nominated for good d play.

When I look at it this way….if I was an nhler my vote my flip flop a couple times.

If I was a player and had to pick which regular season I’d wanna have I’d pick the 69 ;)

But I’m biased
Winner winner chicken dinner.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Congratulations on making the “out in the first round” comment for the 4638th time this week. Your take is more embarrassing than how the leafs lost.

I don't understand Matthews being nominated. Too funny.
Good thing it doesn’t matter if a biased fan gets it.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Congratulations on making the “out in the first round” comment for the 4638th time this week. Your take is more embarrassing than how the leafs lost.

Good thing it doesn’t matter if a biased fan gets it.
Not sure about that. I think most will probably forget that posters comment within minutes. Nineteen years with only one playoff series victory? A fifth of a century? No, that’s historic and will be remembered by most as more embarrassing that some random dudes internet banter, I’m sure.

All of non-Leafs HF punching air right now.
It’s entirety possible to be critical of the decision and not really give two shits about it either way.

It’s just that things that are easy to be goofed get goofed on.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
To me, if I were a player, other than the Conn Smythe… this trophy would mean the most to me of all the individual awards.

Congrats to the finalists… all well deserved!

I’m taking MacKinnon as my choice to win it.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad