2023-24 Ted Lindsay Award finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Haha sorry to Edmonton fans and the rabid Leaf haters but for the 2nd time in 3 years the people that actually play this game at the highest level view Matthews as a better player than McDavid.
Better regular season player*

I would also agree Matthews has probably had the better season 2/3 years.

He's nowhere near the better player though

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Though these are three very worthy names, It really does seem odd that McDavid isn't on here. It it perhaps just a voter fatigue kind of thing?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Haha sorry to Edmonton fans and the rabid Leaf haters but for the 2nd time in 3 years the people that actually play this game at the highest level view Matthews as a better player than McDavid.
Too bad Matthews is weak in the playoffs and gets outscored by about 30 points per 82 games by McDavid, yeah he is better alright. Us Oiler fans are super jealous.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
wait, you unironically believe that?
Well. The players seem to agree, and the awards seem to agree.

Better regular season player*

I would also agree Matthews has probably had the better season 2/3 years.

He's nowhere near the better player though
Easy to play playoff games against weak competition and 3rd string goalies. The dudes missed the playoffs a bunch and been swept twice when it mattered.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Easy to play playoff games against weak competition and 3rd string goalies. The dudes missed the playoffs a bunch and been swept twice when it mattered.
Maybe if your team had better regular seasons they could play easier first round matchups.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Regardless of opponents their playoff stats/performances are just so far apart it's too much to ignore. McDavid has also been better in 6/8 seasons. He's just better.

Matthews had a few better seasons head to head and he's a top 4 forward in the nhl but not really in #1 conversation

Reactions: Jojalu

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Was not expecting it to be this controversial and as much of a pissing match that the players might be more impressed by the 69 goals than the 100 assists but that by the definition of the Hart trophy McDavid’s involvement in dragging the Oilers from bottom of the league to start the year to competing for the division title would come out on top

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
wait, you unironically believe that?
It doesn't matter if he believes it or not. The players do.

I don't think the players are voting on who is the better player, just who they believed had the better season.

Pretty impossible to argue that Matthews is better than McDavid.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Regardless of opponents their playoff stats/performances are just so far apart it's too much to ignore. McDavid has also been better in 6/8 seasons. He's just better.

Matthews had a few better seasons head to head and he's a top 4 forward in the nhl but not really in #1 conversation
He was voted number 1 two years ago and a nominee again. While being a Selke finalist. In the last 3 years, he’s ahead. That’s all I’ve said

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He was voted number 1 two years ago and a nominee again. While being a Selke finalist. In the last 3 years, he’s ahead. That’s all I’ve said
Ahead in terms of regular season performances, twice in their careers, and barely.

Mcdavid basically blows him away in every other season and playoffs

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wonder how many players wish they could change their vote after seeing Matthews once again no-show the playoffs. :sarcasm:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
In what world was Matthews a better player than McDavid? :laugh:
In a world where literally the NHL players said so, take it up with their peers including the players on your favorite team

Hahahaha

Leafs hate is so high that HF posters openly talk like they know more than the actual players.

I f***in love it!!!!
Right ? Lmao, clueless posts. It's literally a players vote, the actual players in the NHL choose this.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This is a bad argument for your side:

60 goals is to 69 goals, the same as 87 assists is to 100.

There have been 5 87+ assist seasons since Matthews entered the league.
There have been 4 60+ goal seasons in that same time period.

In fact, since 2000/01, there have been 6 instances of 60+ goals scored, and 7 instances of 87 assists.

There's almost no actual argument for whether scoring 70 goals or 100 assists is the harder achievement, as they're both essentially equally rare.
Obviously 100 assists and 40 goals is the most rare, since prior only 2 players have done it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm assuming McDavid finished fourth.

Who do you reckon was fifth? Hellebuyck? Crosby? Panarin?
Honestly it doesn't really matter, I think it's between Kuch/Mack, Matthews is just there because there has to be 3 finalists, McDavid had a slow start due to injury, or he'd be 3. I don't expect Auston to win this, no slight on him, Mack/Kuch just had amazing seasons.

Reactions: Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad