2023-24 Senators Prospect Watch

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Six prospects in the Sens Org I think eventually will make a difference once they get to the NHL. They all have good size, they all bring some level of physical play, good defensively, hard to play against & bring some offence to add to the skilled players already on the team.

This coming season:
Kleven LD - will replace Brannstrom on the left side 3rd pairing & will be the shutdown defender the Sens have needed on the backend. He's not going to wow anyone, but should play a solid defensive game with the occassional big hit & inevidable fight afterwards. He will bring some of the physicality that has been missing on this team on defence for quite some time.

Ostapchuk C/LW - another non-flashy player with a non-stop motor that plays a high energy physical game that is again much needed & will drop the gloves when required, a better cheaper version of Joseph IMO. He hits, he blocks shots & he disrupts plays all over the ice. I expect he will play the PK & with his speed & determination should improve the bottom six this coming season.

Potential Future NHL Players:
Halliday C - is a big centre who should bring some much needed offence to the bottom six. He is good at puck possession & a good playmaker & should help clog the front of opposition nets with his size. I expect he could see some time in Ottawa this season at some point.

Boucher RW - can he stay healthy & if he does what does he become? The bottom six could use a little more offence & this guy had a pro shot for a few yrs now. With others on the bottom six like Ostapchuk & Halliday, Boucher would add not just more physicality, but some scoring as all three are going to make all kinds of room out there with their play.

Petersson RW - if Boucher is not healthy they have another option with Petersson who has similar size, but plays a more offensive game without the hitting & fighting. If he can find some offence to his game he could also make for an interesting line with Ostapchuk & Halliday.

Sogaard - while Forsberg is in his last season of his contract, I expect that he will not be re-signed & that Sogaard will replace him at the end of this season as their backup. While I'm not completely sold on this guy, he has shown glimpses where he has played well. If he can ever become a consistent goalie we might have something, but that still remains to be seen. Luckily they have another goalie in Merilainen who seems to be getting better each yr & could challenge Sogaard at some point.

Yakemchuk - checks all the boxes the Sens need on defence on the right side, big, tough, will drop the gloves & potential high offensive production. Given he already has NHL size & shot, the only question is when he will be NHL ready?

The Depth on Defence:
Ottawa has six or seven defencemen in their org now who could all be NHL players at some point, but maybe not necessarily in Ott. They are all big, 3 of them play a very physical game & four of them play more of a solid two way defensive game. This does not mean they will replace anyone presently on the roster, it just means at the moment they have plenty of depth on both sides on defence.

Andonovski - Yakemchuk
Donovan - Guennette
Eliasson - Stanley/Toure

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think we'll get crunched by the Bluejackets and Devil prospects but we should be able to take the Pens. They have a worse pool than we do.
Pittsburgh demolished the Sens last year. I think the final was 9-3.

Looks to me like Ottawa are going to be sending another weak team comprised primarily of undrafted invites.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This would be my guess as to who gets invited to this rookie tournament, although some guys might be too old already, or because they have played in the AHL might not need to attend or are still recovering from injuries & cannot attend. Some of these guys are not part of the Sens org, but were invited to their development camp & therefore may also get invited to this rookie tournament. Due to the rules or logistics all of these guys either play in the AHL or the CJHL.

Potential Rookie Tournament Roster:
Ostapchuk - Halliday - Petersson
Daoust - Bourgault - Boucher?
Ellinas - Rees - Chiasson
Rolofs - Jenik - Crocker
Lockhart - L'Italien - Ward

Kleven - Yakemchuk
Donovan - Moore
Andonovski - Toure/Hamara?

Simpson - Egorov?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Luca Pinelli skated alongside Luchanko & Wetsch at practice yesterday, but sustained a lower-body injuryCayden Lindstrom also not playing tonight (& won't play this week)

Yakemchuk getting every opportunity to show his wares. Getting drafted high gets you rewards. Buium taken 6th of the top 6 ranked D will no doubt be the #1 on Team USA who will have a very goods team.

So Bonk and Molendyk on D will give way to the others fighting for spots after tomorrow's game

Last edited:

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Pittsburgh demolished the Sens last year. I think the final was 9-3.

Looks to me like Ottawa are going to be sending another weak team comprised primarily of undrafted invites.
That's pathetic, why even participate if you're gonna send in a bunch of guys who have no future in this organization?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's pathetic, why even participate if you're gonna send in a bunch of guys who have no future in this organization?
Strange take. Why would you pick and choose which years you participate? Just because the pool isn't deep this year doesn't mean there aren't kids on it that would have something to gain from participating, why rob them of the experience?

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Strange take. Why would you pick and choose which years you participate? Just because the pool isn't deep this year doesn't mean there aren't kids on it that would have something to gain from participating, why rob them of the experience?
Prospect Pool hasn't been deep in a long time. Robbing whom of experience? Guys like Tarun Fizer and Boko who have no future here at all?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They invite kids to participate in the tournament who are not part of the organization as well as a number of the kids who can attend some kids cannot who are playing over seas or in the NCAA due to rules. They have been doing this since these rookie tournaments have been going on which is at least two decades or more that I can recall.

Some yrs they have great teams & some yrs they don't, some yrs they are expected to do well & don't & some yrs they are not expected to do well & do. These tournaments are fun to watch a lot of the young prospects & it has little to do with winning although every kid on the ice is doing their best. It's a great experience for these young guys.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
They invite kids to participate in the tournament who are not part of the organization as well as a number of the kids who can attend some kids cannot who are playing over seas or in the NCAA due to rules. They have been doing this since these rookie tournaments have been going on which is at least two decades or more that I can recall.

Some yrs they have great teams & some yrs they don't, some yrs they are expected to do well & don't & some yrs they are not expected to do well & do. These tournaments are fun to watch a lot of the young prospects & it has little to do with winning although every kid on the ice is doing their best. It's a great experience for these young guys.
I'm not against the tournament, I enjoy having additional content in the summer like most people. I would simply prefer that rebuilding teams would send higher quality squads if possible with guys that could actually help the organization in the future instead of giving out favours for random ECHL calibre players who will never sniff the NHL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not against the tournament, I enjoy having additional content in the summer like most people. I would simply prefer that rebuilding teams would send higher quality squads if possible with guys that could actually help the organization in the future instead of giving out favours for random ECHL calibre players who will never sniff the NHL.
It's a way to get a look at guys within the org & invites who they see something they like in game situations. Not all their prospects go because of rules that prevent NCAA gus from going & there is no point to sending guys who are slated to play in Europe to come to this tournament then going back to Europe, it's too expensive.

There is no point to winning this tournament, they only get a couple of hundred people to watch these tournaments that I have attended. The point is to guage whether a player is further along in their development & whether an invite should get a contract or try out, it has nothing to do with winning, it's about guaging their development.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Prospect Pool hasn't been deep in a long time. Robbing whom of experience? Guys like Tarun Fizer and Boko who have no future here at all?
What do you think the purpose of the tournament is exactly? Every team will bring some guys without a future, but they also bring guys like Greig, Ostapchuk, Donovan, Andolovski, this year we'll add Yakemchuk, Halliday, and maybe Eliasson. It's where guys like Batherson and Stone started showing they weren't ordinarily late round picks. Maybe this year someone like Stanley, Moore or Halliday show they bring more than fans realize.

If you follow these tournaments solely for big name first rounders, I think you're missing out.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Gives all the prospects the opportunity to step up in a bigger role than they might otherwise have and get ready for main camp.

It would be preferable to always have a stacked pool and dominate but having them face adversity is also a good learning experience.

I’m having trouble imagining a downside.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Highlights from last night's intra-squad game. Red 4 White 3

Parekh was on the ice for all 4 team red goals... He had touches in the ozone on 3 of them and assisted on 2 of them.

Sennecke had a nice assist on the tying goal late in the 3rd on a two on 1. Like to see that defended better but summer hockey.
If they are looking for offense, Parekh is well ahead of anyone. Nobody comes close to what he can bring in the offensive zone.

He was very shaky positionally outside of the offensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad