GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think that the Sabres just had their Boyes-for-Brown, if not Forsberg-for-Erat moment...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think that the Sabres just had their Boyes-for-Brown, if not Forsberg-for-Erat moment...
Looks more like they sold high on a smurf prospect to get a big solid youngish 3C under team control. At some point the Sabres had to turn their glut of forward prospects into real NHLers, especially if they intend to compete while Tage and Tuch are still in their primes.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Looks more like they sold high on a smurf prospect to get a big solid youngish 3C under team control. At some point the Sabres had to turn their glut of forward prospects into real NHLers, especially if they intend to compete while Tage and Tuch are still in their primes.
Sold high on the #9 overall pick? Not sure I agree

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Sold high on the #9 overall pick? Not sure I agree
Higher value than Savoie would have a year from now if he scores like a half to 0.75 points per game in the AHL which seems like the most likely scenario for him.

Buffalo’s mistake was spending so many premium draft picks on smurfs - Savoie, Rosen, Ostlund, Benson, Helenius. You can’t have more than 1 or 2 of these guys on your NHL team at once which means the rest are trade bait. Of course the rest of the league also knows this and doesn’t value this player type to begin with so you end up with trades like this one.

That said, McLeod is a good player who fills a major need for the Sabres.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Higher value than Savoie would have a year from now if he scores like a half to 0.75 points per game in the AHL which seems like the most likely scenario for him.

Buffalo’s mistake was spending so many premium draft picks on smurfs - Savoie, Rosen, Ostlund, Benson, Helenius. You can’t have more than 1 or 2 of these guys on your NHL team at once which means the rest are trade bait. Of course the rest of the league also knows this and doesn’t value this player type to begin with so you end up with trades like this one.

"If a prospect has a bad year his value will drop"

IF they are willing to draft the kids they might as well see what they have.. Or trade the picks before the draft when they have much more value. Using premium picks and then flipping said player right before they start getting time in the high leagues seems like bad usage of their draft capital.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
"If a prospect has a bad year his value will drop"

IF they are willing to draft the kids they might as well see what they have.. Or trade the picks before the draft when they have much more value. Using premium picks and then flipping said player right before they start getting time in the high leagues seems like bad usage of their draft capital.
Drafting the same exact player with like six straight first rounders was undoubtedly a bad use of their draft capital but now that it’s done they sort of have to make trades like this one.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

And Benson is really good, so he's at least one of those 2 guys. I think they were forced to take Helenius with how the draft board played out (he was easily BPA). I guess they thought Savoie wasn't going to beat out Ostlund for that 2nd smaller forward spot you're referencing, but that return for a top-10 pick is still ass overall

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
And Benson is really good, so he's at least one of those 2 guys. I think they were forced to take Helenius with how the draft board played out (he was easily BPA). I guess they thought Savoie wasn't going to beat out Ostlund for that 2nd smaller forward spot you're referencing, but that return for a top-10 pick is still ass overall
Drafting Helenius made Savoie expendable, but they could have drafted a different type of player and kept Savoie.

Also I’m so glad Grier moved up from 14. There was a clear tier drop after 12.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Drafting Helenius made Savoie expendable, but they could have drafted a different type of player and kept Savoie.

Also I’m so glad Grier moved up from 14. There was a clear tier drop after 12.
Probably, but also expendable doesn't mean trading him for a 3C yikes...and definitely agree, the trade up to 11 was huge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad