2023-24 James Norris Memorial Trophy finalists: Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Cale Makar | Winner: Quinn Hughes

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
The Canucks have never had a defenseman who tilts the ice as much and as handily when he steps on it as Quinn Hughes. A well deserved win and hopefully the first of multiple.

Reactions: nucks88 and bh53

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Generally, i'd consider a player like Hughes a lock for like 2, 3 or 4 more of these during his career. HOWEVER, it will be hard to beat out Makar again lol
Should be anohter close one again next year

Reactions: HockeyWooot

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Dahlin has lost his draft hype, he’s showing more and more how average he is

Another ridiculous post. Even here you don't find too many people so consistently and comically wrong about an individual player.

Generally, i'd consider a player like Hughes a lock for like 2, 3 or 4 more of these during his career. HOWEVER, it will be hard to beat out Makar again lol

You know other defenseman exist right?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Another ridiculous post. Even here you don't find too many people so consistently and comically wrong about an individual player.
Except it’s right and true, Dahlin at best is a league slightly above average defenceman. He doesn’t do anything that stands out or exceptionally well

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
After 54 years, there's finally a Norris winner from the Canucks.

How many ridiculed his supporters when they suggested that he could be nominated for a Norris one day, he won it and fulfilled his potential at 24. The sky's the limit with competent management and coaching behind him.

So proud to be one of the first guys to wear his jersey at Rogers, having people come up to me to ask if he's going to be any good.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
When the Canucks lost out on the opportunity to draft Dahlin I was so angry, because it is so rare to get an elite defenceman. The Canucks have never had one.

Then we got Hughes.

No disrespect to Dahlin, I do like his game, but I'm obviously so thrilled we got Hughes.

As for the Makar/Hughes debate, I'm clearly going to be biased towards the player on my team and the one I watch more, but Makar is an absolute beauty as well. Pretty great time for hockey.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hughes has to do exactly what he did this season and have no dip in performance or miss games, easier said than done.

The thing with Makar is that he will pretty much score at a higher rate than anyone else and be a reliable two-way presence. He will miss games though and/or play injured and that evens the field considerably.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm so happy for Quinn. He gets named captain in a difficult market coming off a very difficult season and he responds by stepping his game up & winning the Norris trophy, along with leading his team to an unexpected spectacular season.

Naming him captain was so the right choice.

It's a joy to watch him game-in game-out, and I'm sure Colorado fans feel the same way with Makar, it's a privilege to have talents like this on the team you watch everyday.

Congrats to all 3 nominees. And great speech by Quinn.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Congrats to Hughes. First of many?

happy to see Josh Morrissey follow-up his 5th place finish with a 7th although I feel he should have been a bit higher, preferably above Bouchard as Josh is the more well-rounded defenseman.

Jan 13, 2023
Congrats to Hughes on an incredible season. He didn't impress as much during the playoffs as Makar did in 2022, but he's just turning 25 so still has one or two years to figure it out.

• Wow
Reactions: rotiman187

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Shocked Makar isn't #2. I think he may have previously benefitted from voter sympathy (ie last year), but flipside is this year voter fatigue setting in.

Glad Hughes won and in a landslide - well deserved.

If Hughes had finished his season a little stronger and if the top 3 hadn't gone off like crazy this year (Kuch, Mack, McD) - good chance he could have won the Hart too with such a season.

Reactions: bh53

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Jets fan with no dog in the fight. Can they take this man to Hollywood and have him teach actors how to make a speech after winning an award please. That was as good as it gets. Very humble, down to earth, respectful, very thorough, while brief. Pitch perfect.

Always find him (and the other two finalists) very entertaining to watch on the Ice but I just became a bigger fan of the person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad