2023-24 Jack Adams Award finalists: Rick Bowness, Andrew Brunette, Rick Tocchet

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
he'd win if he didnt last year.... difference is they lost their 2 top centres, and still managed to be a top team in the league

On paper VAN and WPG is better than BOS
No, he wouldn’t.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Good list. Think Tocchet should get it.

p.s. with its memish legacy, why would anyone argue or want their coach to win this award?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Brunette has to win it at some point. Multiple seasons like this has been added bonus. Bowness has same going for him.

That being said, all three have well deserved it.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
There must be a typo.

Where is John Tortorella? You'll have to fight him if you don't nominate him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bowness has been invalidated. Once again his regular season system shows its warts in the playoffs.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Since Kris Knoblauch (Oilers) was hired, the Oilers are 1st place in the NHL. They were 31st before he took over.

I find this award to often be 'most impressive' moreso than 'best' - and this is the most impressive achevement by a coach this year IMO. That said, I'd still have Tocchet (VAN) as #1 on my ballot. I just find it odd that Knoblauch didn't finish top-3, that's all.

Reactions: capazzo

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I think Tocchet will win too, but I'd argue he has more top pieces which makes it easier on a coach.

I'd give it to Brunnette.

The Canucks have had those pieces for 5 years but had never even made a traditional playoffs with them.

Sure, the Canucks have more skill guys, but Tocchet made them a team.

Reactions: Burt Macklin

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Poor Paul Maurice...what's the guy got to do to get recognized? Look at all the players on Panthers that have stepped up. They have completely bought into his system and have been playing a great team game. A lot of their success has been directly from his coaching.

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Posted this on the Preds board and thought it was pretty wild so thought I'd share here to build off of Bruno's comment.

It's actually kind of wild how many Jack Adams finalists get fired within two years of their nomination.

2023 Finalists:
Montgomery-Still employed
Hakstol- Fired 2024
Ruff- Fired 2024

2022 Finalists:
Sutter- Fired 2023
Brunette - Fired 2022
Gallant- Fired 2023

2021 Finalists:
Brind'Amour- Still Employed
Dean Evason - Fired 2023
Quenneville - Fired 2022 (albeit for non-performance related reasons)

2020 Finalists:
Bruce Cassidy - Fired 2022 (albeit won a Cup with Vegas)
Vigneault - Fired 2021
Tortorella - Fired 2021

Didn't feel like going back further but that's 10/12 head coaches fired shortly thereafter. Which I suppose makes sense since a lot of times it is more of a coach of the team that overperformed most award and when the team regresses they get fired.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Posted this on the Preds board and thought it was pretty wild so thought I'd share here to build off of Bruno's comment.

It's actually kind of wild how many Jack Adams finalists get fired within two years of their nomination.

2023 Finalists:
Montgomery-Still employed
Hakstol- Fired 2024
Ruff- Fired 2024

2022 Finalists:
Sutter- Fired 2023
Brunette - Fired 2022
Gallant- Fired 2023

2021 Finalists:
Brind'Amour- Still Employed
Dean Evason - Fired 2023
Quenneville - Fired 2022 (albeit for non-performance related reasons)

2020 Finalists:
Bruce Cassidy - Fired 2022 (albeit won a Cup with Vegas)
Vigneault - Fired 2021
Tortorella - Fired 2021

Didn't feel like going back further but that's 10/12 head coaches fired shortly thereafter. Which I suppose makes sense since a lot of times it is more of a coach of the team that overperformed most award and when the team regresses they get fired.

This is kind of a survivorship bias issue, the coaches who get nominated have improved bad teams, if those teams regress they get fired, similarly the long term coaches of good teams don't get nominated as often as they should, but they're the ones who have job security.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Since Kris Knoblauch (Oilers) was hired, the Oilers are 1st place in the NHL. They were 31st before he took over.

I find this award to often be 'most impressive' moreso than 'best' - and this is the most impressive achevement by a coach this year IMO. That said, I'd still have Tocchet (VAN) as #1 on my ballot. I just find it odd that Knoblauch didn't finish top-3, that's all.
Knob is 50-19-5 since joining a pathetic Oilers team. IN my Homer opinion he is the best coach in NHL and will prove it in round 2 when he goes against one of the 2 supposed finalists.

Tocchet is not a sure fire where coaches of DAL, NYR, CAR and FLA have been just as impressive.

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Just a reminder that Rick Tocchet used to be considered one of the worst coaches in the league.

Hockey is so reactionary.

Yesterday's garbage is today's treasure and vice versa.

Coaches are only as good as the players they can work with.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Montgomery deserved to be a finalist

109 pts with Zacha and Coyle as your 1-2 centres
Would be awkward to see him accept the award after being fired. Assuming they lost tomorrow. Because 100% he is gone if they lose.

Shades of Ted Nolan & Casey in NBA.

Nonetheless, the award is ream who went from meh/bad to good. They got it right.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Poor Paul Maurice...what's the guy got to do to get recognized? Look at all the players on Panthers that have stepped up. They have completely bought into his system and have been playing a great team game. A lot of their success has been directly from his coaching.

I'm sure if the Panthers win the cup, he won't give a damn about any Jack Adams award.

Reactions: pantherbot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad