Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Or you can save the money you're paying the accountant and sign somewhere where you are taxed less.
Or sign somewhere else with no/lower taxes AND sign the accountant to reduce the taxes you still pay in states/provinces where you pay a jock tax.

Not that accountants simply magically make all your taxes go away, but that’s a different discussion.

Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Or sign somewhere else with no/lower taxes AND sign the accountant to reduce the taxes you still pay in states/provinces where you pay a jock tax.

Not that accountants simply magically make all your taxes go away, but that’s a different discussion.
Asserting that CA state income taxes are not a factor is just as silly as saying no FA will sign with Ducks because of said taxes. Extreme positions on both sides need to be avoided.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

This lol.
Anyone who thinks this has a fundamental misunderstanding about how the 1%ers handle taxes/tax write offs.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Asserting that CA state income taxes are not a factor is just as silly as saying no FA will sign with Ducks because of said taxes. Extreme positions on both sides need to be avoided.
I do think it’s fair to say that the less a player makes, the more state taxes matter to that player though.

Reactions: Deuce22

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
So according to Marek, the Leafs only have 2 untouchables and really, they are the only 2 I would be interested in. Matthews and Nylander.

Id also be interested in Bertuzzi and Domi but they are UFAs so not really something to deal for, just possible UFA adds.

Would/Should we have any interest in anyone else?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just wasnt impressed by his playoffs at all. He strikes me as one of those regular season only types who kinda folds in the post season.
Its funny cause his playoff stats are actually solid, on a team that doesnt really ever have good dmen/good depth around them.

57 games
11 goals
39 assists
50 points
+10

If i was to have interest in him, it would be with a reasonable extension. But i dont see him taking a pay cut on an extention leaving torotno, when plenty teams are going to pay him 11.5+

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I mean, nobody comes close to Marner currently on our team. He would be an immediate upgrade over every offensive weapon we have.

Bertuzzi and Domi would also be great adds. Just makes the team so much more competitive

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I just wasnt impressed by his playoffs at all. He strikes me as one of those regular season only types who kinda folds in the post season.
jim-mora-mora.gif

Man get me to the playoffs and it's all gravy.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
View attachment 868480

Man get me to the playoffs and it's all gravy.

Fair point

Its funny cause his playoff stats are actually solid, on a team that doesnt really ever have good dmen/good depth around them.

57 games
11 goals
39 assists
50 points
+10

If i was to have interest in him, it would be with a reasonable extension. But i dont see him taking a pay cut on an extention leaving torotno, when plenty teams are going to pay him 11.5+

His total playoff record, I agree. I just didnt like what I saw from him this playoff run. But lets say this year was a fluke, could be, ya the contract situation becomes a concern but any big name player is going to fit that mold too.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

57 games
11 goals
39 assists
50 points
+10

So much of that was earlier in his career when the pressure hadn't sunk in yet.

In the 5 games against Florida, he had 3 points. In the 7 games against Boston, he's had 3 points.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022

57 games
11 goals
39 assists
50 points
+10

From what I've heard from Leafs fans he picks up most of his playoff points in less meaningful scenarios like when the Leafs are already blowing out the other team/being blown out and kind of disappears when the Leafs actually need him to put up points.

Of course this is Leafs fans, they seem to have a special hate-boner for ol' Mitch Marner, personally I'd love to have him on our team, he's a great two-way player and it seems like every scapegoat that comes out of Toronto goes on to do great things

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
I have a hard time seeing Mitch "we're treated like gods" Marner being willing to play long term in Anaheim, and I say that as someone who thinks that quote has been a bit overblown. And while it's fair to say that you're gonna have to pay any player on that level, there's also levels of risk. Like people often point out in this thread, you don't know what any individual player wants... but Marner's history makes him look very likely to be the guy to play the "you gave Killorn 6.25, you can give me 12" card. We definitely don't need that. And nothing I've seen from his behavior under pressure makes me think he'd handle, say... Cronin putting him on the Zegras standard (which, if he comes here you have to believe he'd be expected to provide leadership) especially well.

Maybe he leaves the pressure cooker and thrives, for sure, but it just feels like an especially risky fit to have to trade big assets for. If it goes well Verbeek is a genius, if it goes badly we're the Kings.

Reactions: Dryish

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I have a hard time seeing Verbeek giving much to add another small softish player like Marner to this current squad, especially one that makes 10 mill a year.

But if you think Gibson's no longer the guy? Gibby's owed almost 20 million, Marner is only owed next years 10 mill. I'd attach something pretty decent to make that happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad