2023-24 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists: Aleksander Barkov, Auston Matthews, Jordan Staal | Winner: Aleksander Barkov

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So let me get this straight. Matthews gets a Selke nomination from the same Toronto media that didn’t think he was good enough for the MVP(Hart) nomination that the NHL players nominated him for (Lindsay) and this is considered Toronto media bias in favour of Leaf players? 😵‍💫

Thank god for HFboard Leaf hate bias or else no one would be able to follow the logic here.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So let me get this straight. Matthews gets a Selke nomination from the same Toronto media that didn’t think he was good enough for the MVP(Hart) nomination that the NHL players nominated him for (Lindsay) and this is considered Toronto media bias in favour of Leaf players? 😵‍💫

Thank god for HFboard Leaf hate bias or else no one would be able to follow the logic here.
It is not only the Toronto Media, it is the entire PHWA.

Reactions: Voight

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's Matthews to lose. His generational 40s pk time per game is an inspiration to us all.

Jesus Christ Allmighty.

Toronto Media should pick all the trophy winners while we're at it. Maybe make up some new ones too.

Marner would be a multiple "most grown man" trophy winner already
Cope harder.

Also, like 200 people from around North America vote on the awards, so you making shit up doesn't make it true.

Reactions: Voight

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is he playing now? Where can I see him on my TV tonight?
He is not. Though the other two finalist are still playing. The Leafs were eliminated by Boston in 7 games. You can still watch Barkov. They are currently playing at home vs Boston as I type Boston is up 1-0 and have a 1 game to none lead in the series. Stall is playing in the Rangers -Canes series.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's Matthews to lose. His generational 40s pk time per game is an inspiration to us all.

Jesus Christ Allmighty.

Toronto Media should pick all the trophy winners while we're at it. Maybe make up some new ones too.

Marner would be a multiple "most grown man" trophy winner already
I disagree. If it were just Toronto media voting, there would probably be a bias in the results. In this thread alone with media members across Canada and the USA voting some posters are still suggesting bias- strange logic I know, but yet, here we are. Matthews is only one nominee.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Quick nhl.com sort of penalty minutes for top 20 scorers for the Byng.
For a long time, the Lady Byng has been the "points divided by penalty minutes" trophy.

Given the criteria of the trophy, and quantity and difficulty of the minutes he played, it's ridiculous that Nicklas Lidstrom never won it.

Reactions: Plural

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Cope harder.

Also, like 200 people from around North America vote on the awards, so you making shit up doesn't make it true.

I didn't make anything up. Just pointed out it would be ideal for a more Toronto knowable crowd to pick up trophy winners so that no leaf would be left behind.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
All three are worthy finalist. It is just that, in my opinion, Barkov is a cut above the others.

I honestly just don't see players in the 200's, (out of 375 forwards with over 500 minutes played) behind centers on Anaheim, Buffalo, and Columbus in GA/60, as Selke worthy. Or 150's in xGA/60.. I could see it being a case made if these numbers were much better than his teammates. They're not though.. And you can steal the puck as many times as you like, but if you're not limiting your opponents ability to score goals on your team better than that, well, then you should not be considered.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I honestly just don't see players in the 200's, (out of 375 forwards with over 500 minutes played) behind centers on Anaheim, Buffalo, and Columbus in GA/60, as Selke worthy. Or 150's in xGA/60.. I could see it being a case made if these numbers were much better than his teammates. They're not though.. And you can steal the puck as many times as you like, but if you're not limiting your opponents ability to score goals on your team better than that, well, then you should not be considered.
I have no problem seeing them as finalists.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't make anything up. Just pointed out it would be ideal for a more Toronto knowable crowd to pick up trophy winners so that no leaf would be left behind.
It would also be ideal for posters who have a bias against Leaf players to use the Toronto media argument to delegitimize Matthews nomination.

Funny how the Toronto media is biased in Selke voting but not in Hart voting. It’s the players that are biased that time with Lindsey voting.

It’s all a conspiracy eh?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He got every First, Second, and Third place votes.

The others guys listed were just reported so the media could get outrage hits.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021

This was before last night.

I wish the Hart was not an award that was so focused on scoring. Barkov would be up for it every year. He does so many little things throughout that gam that just makes him dominate without needing to be 130 point guy. No reason he should not be in the same breath as McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews as the best players in the game.

Even in nights he has zero points he does 2-3 things in a game that make you say wow.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

This was before last night.

I wish the Hart was not an award that was so focused on scoring. Barkov would be up for it every year. He does so many little things throughout that gam that just makes him dominate without needing to be 130 point guy. No reason he should not be in the same breath as McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews as the best players in the game.

Even in nights he has zero points he does 2-3 things in a game that make you say wow.
The reason he is most underrated every year is bolded. The same majority who rate him “top twenty” say “he’s not overrated anymore because everyone knows he’s good” don’t understand they’re still underrating him when they’re the first to mock any suggestion that he’s top 5.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Full voting results:

whSKdS3.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad