2023-24 Calder Memorial Trophy finalists: Connor Bedard, Brock Faber, Luke Hughes

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I do think this year makes a case for the NHL to move to a Offensive ROY and a DROY
More goalies could contend then too

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Considering they actually had to put an age limit on it, I'd say age has factored in.
It plays a roll, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Yes, and Faber is younger than 26, so that doesn't apply to him. The discussion is whether Bedard should get "bonus points" because he is younger than Faber.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Yes, and Faber is younger than 26, so that doesn't apply to him. The discussion is whether Bedard should get "bonus points" because he is younger than Faber.
1st of all you posted that age has never been a factor. It has.
2nd of all, the whole reason for the rule change is that an older player has a distinct advantage. 26 was where they drew the line, but voters still can recognise this advantage and do take it into consideration
So yes, Bedard gets "bonus points" for being 18 and still producing on a historically crappy team.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Devils just live Rent free in Crypto's head.

You guys need to stop responding. He just likes the attention.

Faber for me but I can see the argument for Bedard. Either one will end up deserving.

Hughes is a distant third but anyone claiming he doesn't deserve to even be nominated has rocks for brains.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Faded a bit at the end of the year but Flyers' goalie Samuel Ersson was a far more deserving candidate than Hughes.

Twenty-three wins and no way Philadelphia comes close to playoffs without him.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Nothing except a couple of broken ribs.

Possibly 2 months of broken ribs, but I've never had them so I can't really comment on whatever limitations they might bring.

Since this means we have to play the hypothetical game, Bedard wasn't injured and we can extrapolate his points to 73 on the season. And then neither had missing/ineffective linemates either, so we have to open that can of worms that also favors Bedard. You want to go down that road? No you don't.

The fact of the matter is that Faber's clear vulnerability to the physical side of the game is part of the equation why he shouldn't win. Teams found out, exploited his deficiencies, and it cost him the chance at the Calder. His defensive play significantly tailed off starting in December, longer than 2 months left in the season. You can't out-excuse Bedard.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Since this means we have to play the hypothetical game, Bedard wasn't injured and we can extrapolate his points to 73 on the season. And then neither had missing/ineffective linemates either, so we have to open that can of worms that also favors Bedard. You want to go down that road? No you don't.

The fact of the matter is that Faber's clear vulnerability to the physical side of the game is part of the equation why he shouldn't win. Teams found out, exploited his deficiencies, and it cost him the chance at the Calder. His defensive play significantly tailed off starting in December, longer than 2 months left in the season. You can't out-excuse Bedard.
I didn't mention linemates. That's clearly a factor in Bedard's "favor". As is age.

Just saying that broken ribs might've affected Faber's ability to play better, thereby saying that "there was nothing preventing him from playing better" (or whatever you said) might just be a false statement.

I think Bedard is going win, and probably deserves to, for the record. I disagree with anybody that uses "AINEC", however.

Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I didn't mention linemates. That's clearly a factor in Bedard's "favor". As is age.

Just saying that broken ribs might've affected Faber's ability to play better, thereby saying that "there was nothing preventing him from playing better" (or whatever you said) might just be a false statement.

I think Bedard is going win, and probably deserves to, for the record. I disagree with anybody that uses "AINEC", however.
Personally I don't know how anyone could play with broken ribs (plural).
I had a hairline fracture in my ribs and it bothered me for almost a year - and I wasn't playing a contact sport at the highest level.
When they say broken, it must have been a hairline fracture, because even the smallest movements on the ice involve your core

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Personally I don't know how anyone could play with broken ribs (plural).
I had a hairline fracture in my ribs and it bothered me for almost a year - and I wasn't playing a contact sport at the highest level.
When they say broken, it must have been a hairline fracture, because even the smallest movements on the ice involve your core
It sucks, you never feel like you are getting enough oxygen, though it’s better in game when your adrenaline is high.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Surely there was a better pick than Hughes, he struggled a lot this year.

That one seems like name recognition only.
That’s what I was thinking. By all accounts he was kind of a disappointment this year was he not?

Doesn’t really matter though. Bedard clearly wins

Here is the prediction thread for reference:

Not to toot my own horn but I was literally the only person to mention Faber as a candidate in a 9 page topic.
“Not to toot my own horn”

… proceeds to toot own horn

Reactions: Szechwan

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Faded a bit at the end of the year but Flyers' goalie Samuel Ersson was a far more deserving candidate than Hughes.

Twenty-three wins and no way Philadelphia comes close to playoffs without him.
He had an 0.890 and a negative GSAx

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Given the hype behind him, Bedard will probably get it, but Faber and Hughes had excellent rookie seasons as well, and if either of them win it, I don't think I'd call it a robbery.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He had an 0.890 and a negative GSAx

Much of which came during the two week swoon when the entire team struggled.

As opposed to power play inflated scoring numbers and a woeful -25 plus/minus?

You can argue that he doesn't fit with the top two - and there are likely other deserving rookies around the league - but Ersson vs Hughes is a no-brainer.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

You can argue that he doesn't fit with the top two - and there are likely other deserving rookies around the league - but Ersson vs Hughes is a no-brainer.
Yeah ersson absolutely shit the bed down the stretch.

+/- lmao.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Imagine citing a -25 when he was only -4 at 5v5 despite being anchored by Brendan Smith for a large part of the year.

Hughes was actually +9 at 5v5 without Smith:

Hughes with Smith
3GF 16GA

Hughes without Smith
48GF 39GA

So yeah, your posts are idiotic.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Would pay to see Faber or Hugh's just for the drama but we all know it's Bedard and I can't really make any kind of legit case against it .

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Should be Faber, will be Bedard. Voters will look at the points and will want to hype a star, they'll just overlook the fact that other teams salivated about the chances they would get when Bedard was on the ice. Good teams never get #1 picks, but I don't think any good team would have let Bedard even see the ice this year with how poorly he played defensively.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Should be Faber, will be Bedard. Voters will look at the points and will want to hype a star, they'll just overlook the fact that other teams salivated about the chances they would get when Bedard was on the ice. Good teams never get #1 picks, but I don't think any good team would have let Bedard even see the ice this year with how poorly he played defensively.
Every good team would’ve been playing bedard this year

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad