Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I don't particularly care for it because I think Goodie and Kunin are both guys that shouldn't be higher in the lineup than the 4th line. But the reality is that any spot in the lineup that Smith has is a spot he hasn't earned. They are spots he's trying to develop his way into. In the development context, anywhere in the lineup for someone who is still needing to learn to play at NHL speed is good for his development even with bad linemates. I don't expect that to be the case this whole season but early on while he's still finding his footing and we're committing to his development, anywhere in the lineup is fine enough for his development. Hell, a healthy scratch isn't a bad idea for him either to watch a game or two.
I guess the plus side to this is that smith won’t have to work to retrieve pucks off the boards or behind the net his responsibilities are lessened and he can focus on trying to score

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I guess the plus side to this is that smith won’t have to work to retrieve pucks off the boards or behind the net his responsibilities are lessened and he can focus on trying to score
Hypothetically, yes. The issue is that him focusing on trying to score only helps if he has someone to get him the puck and I just don't see Goodrow and Kunin as those types of guys. I'm at a stage with Smith where I don't think it matters where he plays in the lineup. Any experience is good experience because he's going to need a good amount of time to catch up to playing at NHL speed because he's pretty consistently a step or two behind in a lot of areas. Since it's a development year, I don't think it matters what the team does with Smith. There are plenty of viable options that would help to varying degrees. But right now, he reminds me of Dylan Gambrell. lol

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hypothetically, yes. The issue is that him focusing on trying to score only helps if he has someone to get him the puck and I just don't see Goodrow and Kunin as those types of guys. I'm at a stage with Smith where I don't think it matters where he plays in the lineup. Any experience is good experience because he's going to need a good amount of time to catch up to playing at NHL speed because he's pretty consistently a step or two behind in a lot of areas. Since it's a development year, I don't think it matters what the team does with Smith. There are plenty of viable options that would help to varying degrees. But right now, he reminds me of Dylan Gambrell. lol
I think Goodrow's puck retrieval has been really solid so far. I could see him working well with Smith at the moment. It'd be better if it also included Wennberg instead of Kunin but we'll have to wait for Celebrini to slot back in.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Goodrow can also play center, which means he can help Smith out on the faceoffs and defensive priorities. One issue Smith has been having is that he loses every faceoff he takes, so every shift starts with him having to defend. If Goodrow can get possession for them, it means Smith might get a few more touches on the puck -- which honestly, he desperately needs. Right now, he's barely got the puck on his stick during the game and that's not a great way to build confidence.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Goodrow's puck retrieval has been really solid so far. I could see him working well with Smith at the moment. It'd be better if it also included Wennberg instead of Kunin but we'll have to wait for Celebrini to slot back in.
Goodrow's done some good work defensively and the puck retrieval is okay but the doing something with it part is still a bit shaky and Smith would need that as well to do much with it given his play quality thus far. I agree Wennberg would be a lot better than Kunin. Honestly, if they were to run a 3rd line of Wennberg-Smith-Grundstrom, I think that'd do a lot better. They could do that without Celebrini if Eklund is in the lineup or vice-versa but without both, it's not really possible.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
How is it looking for Celebrini, guys? Could it be long term?
Nobody knows. Week to week. First game back earliest is likely Colorado at home, as he didn't travel. There have been no rumors or updates since he was placed on IR.

Likely it's a hip pointer so hopefully just a 1-4 week recovery.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Zalos

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Nobody knows. Week to week. First game back earliest is likely Colorado at home, as he didn't travel. There have been no rumors or updates since he was placed on IR.

Likely it's a hip pointer so hopefully just a 1-4 week recovery.
Ok, thanks for the answer! Hoping he comes back soon for you guys.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
He’s been bad but not that bad lol

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He’s been bad but not that bad lol
It's only three games and two of them were pretty bad and the third one was less bad but still bad. He's not NHL ready and Gambrell was also not NHL ready when he was playing here. There's certainly more hope for Smith. He shows more skill potential and awareness but he's not up to speed yet. He's not going to look this way for that long, imo. But that long to me could still be 20-30 games.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
It's only three games and two of them were pretty bad and the third one was less bad but still bad. He's not NHL ready and Gambrell was also not NHL ready when he was playing here. There's certainly more hope for Smith. He shows more skill potential and awareness but he's not up to speed yet. He's not going to look this way for that long, imo. But that long to me could still be 20-30 games.
This is the thing - it's clear Smith has the skills and ability to be an NHLer, but it's more him getting up to speed of the game. I don't have many (if any) doubts that he'll get to speed.

It's also why I don't think those calling for him to be with the Cuda are right. I think Smith's key issues can only be worked on in the NHL.

Reactions: Jargon

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is the thing - it's clear Smith has the skills and ability to be an NHLer, but it's more him getting up to speed of the game. I don't have many (if any) doubts that he'll get to speed.

It's also why I don't think those calling for him to be with the Cuda are right. I think Smith's key issues can only be worked on in the NHL.
I think the NHL is the best place for him since we're in a development season but I do think the Cuda is a viable option for him. He won't learn and develop as much as being in the NHL but a season's worth of experience in the AHL would not be worthless either. If the team wanted to toll his ELC, he's playing at a level that would justify that decision, imo.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I agree. I’ve mentioned this before but I remember taking a few years away from playing hockey (beer league but stay with me) and coming back and feeling like I could not keep up with the flow of the game. I’d always be late to the play, I’d barely ever get to touch the puck because of it and when I finally got it I’d rush the play because the whole flow was off. I can only imagine how jarring it is to go from college to the NHL. He needs tiiiime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad