Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
trading high draft picks for a goalie, especially a prospect one, rarely ever works out.
Well it got the Sharks a cup finals appearance and then a contract they will still be paying for a few more years.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Well it got the Sharks a cup finals appearance and then a contract they will still be paying for a few more years.

Doug Wilson had a bad habit of holding onto goaltenders well beyond their expiration date.

I didn't mind paying a 1st for Martin Jones in that draft year since it was considered a weak one, but giving him an extension after he started showing signs of decline was a bad move.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
With regards to people thinking Vlasic is delusional, many top players think they are the best and if they just play their game, execute what they practiced, get pucks deep, they will win. It's why they were a top player in the first place. It's why inferior teams sometimes beat better teams and still resist while clearly losing. They players had much success at other levels. So they expected to win if they just played their game and got the bounces.

It could possibly be why Quinn was fired. Sometimes the Sharks just started like they knew they were going to get routed and would just collapse. Champions don't beat themselves with a loser mindset.

The professional player is usually focused on preparing themselves to play their best game. They don't think I suck and should just retire or let the other guy beat me. They often have to be forced to retire.

Nabby was like that. When he heard the Sharks wanted to trade for him, he first said "maybe I can help them." But was informed it was just a 1 day contract.

Reactions: Bartcal

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
IF we're done with Free Agency, especially after Celebrin just got signed, I'm thinking...

Eklund-Celebrini-Tofolli (1A)
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund (1B)
Bordeleau - Wennberg- Guschin (3)
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin (4)
Goodrow (13th F)

Ferraro-Walman (I'll admit I forget handedness here)
Mukhamadulin-Emberson
Thrun-Rutta
Vlasic

Blackwood
Vanacek

We lack RHD so some people will end up on their off-handedness.
Another flaw I've noticed when putting this together... Celebrini and SMith being forced into sink or swim top 6 roles might not be the best

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
IF we're done with Free Agency, especially after Celebrin just got signed, I'm thinking...

Eklund-Celebrini-Tofolli (1A)
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund (1B)
Bordeleau - Wennberg- Guschin (3)
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin (4)
Goodrow (13th F)

Ferraro-Walman (I'll admit I forget handedness here)
Mukhamadulin-Emberson
Thrun-Rutta
Vlasic

Blackwood
Vanacek

We lack RHD so some people will end up on their off-handedness.
Another flaw I've noticed when putting this together... Celebrini and SMith being forced into sink or swim top 6 roles might not be the best

I think you’re forgetting a few guys. Likely closer to:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin -Celebrini-Tofolli
Dellandrea - Wennberg- Smith
Goodrow -Sturm-Kunin
Grundstrom/Bordeleau

But I think camp will really determine some of those wings.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

Goodrow -Sturm-Kunin
Grundstrom/Bordeleau

Right. Training Camp will make things more clear

Reactions: Jargon

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Goodrow -Sturm-Kunin
Grundstrom/Bordeleau

Honestly, with all the recent moves, I wouldn’t even pencil Kostin into the lineup. That one wing spot will be the most contested roster spot.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Off the top of my head post prospects scrimmage and if Couture is healthy:

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund
Couture-Wennberg-Kostin
Grundstrom-Sturm-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Kunin (~$6.35m for leadership)

Reactions: DG93

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Off the top of my head post prospects scrimmage and if Couture is healthy:

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Granlund-Smith-Zetterlund
Couture-Wennberg-Kostin
Grundstrom-Sturm-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Kunin (~$6.35m for leadership)
If juicy is healthy I'm putting him with Smith.

He won't be healthy.....

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
We'll see how things shake out in camp, but even if Couture can't go, I highly doubt Celebrini and Smith will be the top-2 centers with Granlund and Wennberg both on the roster. That's not the way the Sharks have done their rebuild so far (ie preaching patience) and throwing the two rookies into the fire doesn't seem like their MO. I bet one of the 2 vets gets thrown to the wolves with Celebrini as 2C and Smith as 3C in soft deployment. Here's how I see it playing out without Couture:

Zetterlund-Granlund-Eklund
Dellandrea-Celebrini-Toffoli
Wennberg-Smith-Kostin/Grundstrom
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Top line is self-explanatory, solid 2nd line overall and has chemistry from last year. Celebrini gets a scorer in Toffoli as well as a good F1 who is defensively responsible in Dellandrea. Smith gets a center on his wing in Wennberg to help with center duties if needed (+ can score some goals) and a forechecking winger in either Grundstrom or Kostin (I could see Dellandrea here as well with Kostin/Grundstrom on Macklin's wing). The 4th line is self-explanatory...Sturm and Kunin aren't going anywhere even if Kunin sucks, and with Goodrow already initially not happy about coming here, definitely don't want to have him pouting in the pressbox. If Couture can play, he takes Wennberg's role on Smith's wing with Wennberg taking the LW spot alongside Celebrini (with Dellandrea/Grundstrom/Kostin fighting for that last winger spot on the 3rd line).

Defense is more self-explanatory I think...Walman-Benning (or Rutta I guess), Ferraro-Emberson (worked well together last year), Mukh-Rutta/Benning (gives Mukh a veteran partner). Vanecek and Blackwood in net obviously.

Anyway, that's how I see it...we'll see how training camp shakes out in reality.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think you missed the part where they didn't hire TMac
If you take the name "Warsofsky" and do a little bit of simple rearranging and substitution it becomes "Quinn"

They didn't really fire him, it was all an optics move. He couldn't leave his favorite son behind (It's Kunin).

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If you take the name "Warsofsky" and do a little bit of simple rearranging and substitution it becomes "Quinn"

They didn't really fire him, it was all an optics move. He couldn't leave his favorite son behind (It's Kunin).
In that case, gotta make one lineup substitution: you forgot Grundstrom over Kostin

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
We'll see how things shake out in camp, but even if Couture can't go, I highly doubt Celebrini and Smith will be the top-2 centers with Granlund and Wennberg both on the roster. That's not the way the Sharks have done their rebuild so far (ie preaching patience) and throwing the two rookies into the fire doesn't seem like their MO. I bet one of the 2 vets gets thrown to the wolves with Celebrini as 2C and Smith as 3C in soft deployment. Here's how I see it playing out without Couture:

Zetterlund-Granlund-Eklund
Dellandrea-Celebrini-Toffoli
Wennberg-Smith-Kostin/Grundstrom
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Top line is self-explanatory, solid 2nd line overall and has chemistry from last year. Celebrini gets a scorer in Toffoli as well as a good F1 who is defensively responsible in Dellandrea. Smith gets a center on his wing in Wennberg to help with center duties if needed (+ can score some goals) and a forechecking winger in either Grundstrom or Kostin (I could see Dellandrea here as well with Kostin/Grundstrom on Macklin's wing). The 4th line is self-explanatory...Sturm and Kunin aren't going anywhere even if Kunin sucks, and with Goodrow already initially not happy about coming here, definitely don't want to have him pouting in the pressbox. If Couture can play, he takes Wennberg's role on Smith's wing with Wennberg taking the LW spot alongside Celebrini (with Dellandrea/Grundstrom/Kostin fighting for that last winger spot on the 3rd line).

Defense is more self-explanatory I think...Walman-Benning (or Rutta I guess), Ferraro-Emberson (worked well together last year), Mukh-Rutta/Benning (gives Mukh a veteran partner). Vanecek and Blackwood in net obviously.

Anyway, that's how I see it...we'll see how training camp shakes out in reality.
I think this is very reasonable. I am guessing Kostin gets middle 6 consideration, but could see any of him/Grundstrom/Dellandrea rotating in the wing next to Celebrini. You are basically fielding 3 second lines. Still think they'll start Smith on the wing with Wennberg centering, but as you say, we'll see what shakes out at camp and then I'm sure there will be a line blender after that with injuries and everything else.

Reactions: DG93

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Kunin - Goodrow - Celebrini
Toffoli - Granlund - Couture's corpse (weekend at bernie's style)
Smith - Wennberg - Dellandrea
Zetterlund - Sturm - Kostin
pressbox: Eklund
Can we at least do it Weekend at Bernie's 2 style? Can we not afford a walkman and a pigeon?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think this is very reasonable. I am guessing Kostin gets middle 6 consideration, but could see any of him/Grundstrom/Dellandrea rotating in the wing next to Celebrini. You are basically fielding 3 second lines. Still think they'll start Smith on the wing with Wennberg centering, but as you say, we'll see what shakes out at camp and then I'm sure there will be a line blender after that with injuries and everything else.
Grier's comments made it seem like he expects them both to play center but that isn't set in stone

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval
I expect Granlund as 1C, Celebrini-Toffoli on the 2nd line and Smith-Wennberg on the 3rd line to be a relatively safe bet. But beyond that, the rest of the wingers I'm curious how it would shake out. If only going by chemistry, Eklund and Zetterlund I feel would make sense to stick together, and as such stay on the Granlund line. Musty would be an obvious fit on Smith's line but he might not make the team (even though he might get 9 games and was close to making it last camp, it would be risky to bring a 3rd rookie of this caliber in the same season). Graf is also an unknown.

Reactions: MackAttack71

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I expect Granlund as 1C, Celebrini-Toffoli on the 2nd line and Smith-Wennberg on the 3rd line to be a relatively safe bet. But beyond that, the rest of the wingers I'm curious how it would shake out. If only going by chemistry, Eklund and Zetterlund I feel would make sense to stick together, and as such stay on the Granlund line. Musty would be an obvious fit on Smith's line but he might not make the team (even though he might get 9 games and was close to making it last camp, it would be risky to bring a 3rd rookie of this caliber in the same season). Graf is also an unknown.
Bords and Gush will likely get a long look for a second or third line wing slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad