Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think something like Ferraro + 2nd + one of Bystedt/Edstrom is probably fair value for McGroarty if Winnipeg is willing to accept a quantity package over a single quality piece, but I also can't fathom why we're targeting him. It seems we already have a logjam at forward, and adding yet another one - especially one who wants to be guaranteed NHL time, but hasn't necessarily proven he's earned it - just seems strange.

Conversely, we're paper thin on defense, and especially at RD. Unless there's something else in the works involving forwards going out and defensemen coming in, I don't see why we're interested in McGroarty.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why is a middle 6 guy in McGroarty worth a middle six center in Bystedt/Edstrom plus picks and an nhl player?

The Jets or the fans are out of whack on value with this.
For the second and last time, I did not advocate trading Bystedt/Edstrom, Ferraro, and a 2nd for McGroarty. I said those are the best assets I’d be willing to part with, and since none of them would be very appealing to win-now Winnipeg, I’m confused by all the reports that the Sharks are in on McGroarty.

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
For the second and last time, I did not advocate trading Bystedt/Edstrom, Ferraro, and a 2nd for McGroarty. I said those are the best assets I’d be willing to part with, and since none of them would be very appealing to win-now Winnipeg, I’m confused by all the reports that the Sharks are in on McGroarty.
Granlund maybe?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
its not you or just what you said, it seems like a lot of jets fans think hes worth a decent amount and I dont really see it working out for them.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I think Montreal (bunch of young D) and Nashville (Fabbro) should be the targets for Bordeleau and Gushchin, if MG doesn't have them on his long term plan.
I feel like both teams at least have a connection with Bordeleau, so that would make sense.
Gushchin trade to best fit team. It's time to get some right defence.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I keep seeing that he Sharks have significant interest in McGroarty but I really don’t see what we can move that would be interesting to Winnipeg. I wouldn’t move any of our top-5 prospects or Chernyshov for him, I wouldn’t move Eklund, our 2025 1st, or Vegas’ 2025 1st for him. So what’s even left? Edstrom, Ferraro, 2nd is kinda the best I’d be willing to do, but that doesn’t sound like enough relative to how highly Winnipeg fans seem to value him.
Lol. Winnipeg fans said Mcgroarty would cost the wild Rossi + a 1st. Their expectations of value are a bit skewed

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Why has goose fallen out of favor so quickly? Ppg in the ahl at 21, and has nhl talent. I saw one sharks fan post his top ten list and he didnt make it.

I can understand celebrini, smith, etc but it just seems strange. He's done well at every level he's played at.
Dan O'Regan was a prolific AHL scorer, probably more well-rounded than Gushchin and look at what happened to him!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Why has goose fallen out of favor so quickly? Ppg in the ahl at 21, and has nhl talent. I saw one sharks fan post his top ten list and he didnt make it.

I can understand celebrini, smith, etc but it just seems strange. He's done well at every level he's played at.
People are distracted by the new shiny things. Gushchin has been really good and has really strong work ethic. He’s also performed in the NHL. I think he has a real shot to make the team.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

It's not that we don't like him but I think if you look at where this team's going, it's kinda hard to see a great fit for him in the lineup. In a way, I see it as setting the goose loose. Although Winnipeg is gonna be tough to break in with.

Reactions: Patty Ice

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I wouldn't even think to compare the two players. Gush is much more talented.... that doesn't mean Gush makes it but still.
Gushchin has more raw skill, but O'Regan had better hockey sense.

Ultimately I think it's clear that he needs to be in a top-6 role, and I just don't see the space for him. Maybe if Couture is out and they want to use Smith on the third line...

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Presumably you are referring to my list. Gushchin I still very much like as a NHL prospect but I think he's going to have a hard time earning extended looks because of his size and deficiencies. His offense is there and he will produce but he'll need to do it consistently to earn regular ice time.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

When you are below 5’10” and don’t have elite skating you have almost no chance at being successful in the NHL.

Reactions: Herschel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad