Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Schmidt is an interesting target as a UFA, but as a waiver claim, at $6M, he is definitely not worth it. I’d take him at $6M as a dump with value attached, or maybe at like $3M as a UFA depending on our other options. But I’d be more inclined to bet on players like Boqvist, Brannstrom, Roy, Walker, etc. who haven’t fallen off a cliff the way that Schmidt has.

EDIT: I just checked the numbers and it looks like Schmidt actually did well this year, albeit in a reduced role. I didn’t watch enough of him this year to be educated, so maybe I’m off base, but I still think we can get him by overpaying on a short-term deal rather than claiming him off waivers. And I’d still prefer to target younger defensemen but he’s a better bet than I reasonably suggested.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Would love to see us sign Bertuzzi, Wennberg and Lundkvist tomorrow.

Eklund-Celebrini-Zetterlund
Bertuzzi-Granlund-Smith
Kostin-Wennberg-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
(Grundstrom, Afanasyev)

Ferraro-Emberson
Walman-Rutta
Vlasic-Lundkvist
(Benning)

Blackwood
Vanecek

Defense is still trash but no UFA who is realistically going to sign with us can fix that. Hopefully the Rags waive Trouba.

Reactions: boredatwork

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Would love to see us sign Bertuzzi, Wennberg and Lundkvist tomorrow.

Bertuzzi-Granlund-Smith
Kostin-Wennberg-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
(Grundstrom, Afanasyev)

Ferraro-Emberson
Walman-Rutta
Vlasic-Lundkvist
(Benning)

Blackwood
Vanecek

Defense is still trash but no UFA who is realistically going to sign with us can fix that. Hopefully the Rags waive Trouba.

I like this lineup (much more than some you posted before!). I’m guessing that we likely won’t get Bertuzzi and Afansyev, Kostin, Bordeleau (he still exists sorry) will be fighting for the 2nd and 3rd line wing - with Kunin or Goodrow ready to step in if they fail.

I SUSPECT it’ll be if we can get Wennberg:

Kostin-Granlund-Smith
Afanasyev-Wennberg-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
(Grundstrom, Bordeleau)

That said, he said he wanted to get a scoring winger and called Smith a center so it may be:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin- Celebrini - FA
Afanasyev - Smith - Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
(Grundstrom, Bordeleau)

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think Grier is finally making this team hard to play against. It reminds me of the early Shark teams. They didn’t have the skill but they won the physical battle. That’s a good base to bring our young skilled players into. We don’t want the teenagers getting pushed around.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I like this lineup (much more than some you posted before!). I’m guessing that we likely won’t get Bertuzzi and Afansyev, Kostin, Bordeleau (he still exists sorry) will be fighting for the 2nd and 3rd line wing - with Kunin or Goodrow ready to step in if they fail.

I SUSPECT it’ll be if we can get Wennberg:

Kostin-Granlund-Smith
Afanasyev-Wennberg-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
(Grundstrom, Bordeleau)

That said, he said he wanted to get a scoring winger and called Smith a center so it may be:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin- Celebrini - FA
Afanasyev - Smith - Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
(Grundstrom, Bordeleau)
It's easier to think about how to fill in the lineup now that we know who's getting qualified and that Goodrow, Dellandrea and Walman are in the fold.

I suspect you're right about us missing out on Bertuzzi but I hope we do sign a top 6 or at least top 9 wing instead of counting on Kostin or Bordeleau.

Reactions: Jargon

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I’m all for Wenneberg as long as he’s thrown to the wolves to shelter Smith and Celebrini. He’d be a nice 3C to hopefully transition to Edstrom or Bystedt.

Toffoli would be interesting as a scorer too. He’s so slow though.

As for D, Matt Roy ain’t happening, but I think he’d be great for the young up and coming left D. Walker will get too much interest. I’d like him as a two way number 4. Maybe take a flier on Colin Miller.

Reactions: Hodge

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It's easier to think about how to fill in the lineup now that we know who's getting qualified and that Goodrow, Dellandrea and Walman are in the fold.

I suspect you're right about us missing out on Bertuzzi but I hope we do sign a top 6 or at least top 9 wing instead of counting on Kostin or Bordeleau.

Yeah, I think we HAVE to, cause Kostin, Afansyev, Bordeleau can all easily flunk out and I think a priority is to give Celebrini a legit winger, even if it’s someone a bit older. It does sound like Grier is planning that, though.
I really, really hope he can get another Top 4 defenseman…

I’d rather go into the season with like:

Ferraro- RD FA
Walman - Emberson
Muhk - Rutta
Vlasic

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think some form of a righty PPQB and at least one vet winger if not two that you'd slot in the top six is what's on the docket to accomplish in the next few days during the frenzy.

Reactions: Jargon

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Genuinely. We have so many solid 4th line options without Goodrow.
That's a good thing. 4th liners are replaceable and findable. If we have 10 (random #) possible ones and 3 spots, and Goodrow is taking one, that means 9 guys have to work harder to earn those spots. In an ideal world, having Goodrow there as the Gold Standard is a good thing.

You want to make the NHL, be better than this guy.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think some form of a righty PPQB and at least one vet winger if not two that you'd slot in the top six is what's on the docket to accomplish in the next few days during the frenzy.

Agree with this. As it pertains to filling out the D, I’m on board with claiming Boqvist (to run the PP) or going after Walker (no more than 4 years).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00