Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Brännström is another LD. Same with Warsofsky’s old boy, Jake Bean, from his AHL days.

Boqvist would be intriguing as a third pairing/PPQB option.
The Stars aren’t qualifying Nils Lundkvist, who is another intriguing young RD in the Boqvist vein.

I wouldn’t hate claiming Boqvist. Guy is a legit PPQB.
Agreed. One more year at $2.6m is a very reasonable gamble.

• Love
Reactions: ChompChomp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm honestly not interested in signing anybody if we're not moving others out. If we're set up to claim Trouba off waivers, we have four guys on the right side and four on the left assuming we re-sign Thrun and Emberson. They can't reassign anyone on that right side and can only reassign Thrun. This is also before any talk of Mukhamadullin potentially winning a spot in camp or giving someone like Dickinson nine games. Since a Vlasic buyout seems like it isn't going to happen, we're either trading Ferraro or Rutta as everyone else seems like they don't want to move them or they can't really be moved. And if those two can't be moved, we shouldn't add anyone on top of that.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I'm honestly not interested in signing anybody if we're not moving others out. If we're set up to claim Trouba off waivers, we have four guys on the right side and four on the left assuming we re-sign Thrun and Emberson. They can't reassign anyone on that right side and can only reassign Thrun. This is also before any talk of Mukhamadullin potentially winning a spot in camp or giving someone like Dickinson nine games. Since a Vlasic buyout seems like it isn't going to happen, we're either trading Ferraro or Rutta as everyone else seems like they don't want to move them or they can't really be moved. And if those two can't be moved, we shouldn't add anyone on top of that.
Yeah, Grier cannot run back that same D corp with Walman being the only addition imo. You can’t sell that to Macklin and the fan base.

Hopefully, Ferraro and Rutta are moved after the dust settles in FA for those teams that missed out.

Personally, I don’t have a ton of interesting in watching this next season:

Walman-Benning
Ferraro-Emberson
Thrun-Rutta
Vlasic

I need to see Grier acquire a real life top 4 RD. Someone of quality that would play top 4 RD on a playoff team next season.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, Grier cannot run back that same D corp with Walman being the only addition imo. You can’t sell that to Macklin and the fan base.

Hopefully, Ferraro and Rutta are moved after the dust settles in FA for those teams that missed out.

Walman-Benning
Ferraro-Emberson
Thrun-Rutta
Vlasic

I need to see Grier acquire a real life top 4 RD. Someone of quality that would play top 4 RD on a playoff team next season.

Benning 14 games last year and has two years on his contract. Put him on waivers and he likely makes it through. Similarly you can't count on him being the same (let alone better) than what he showed two years ago.

Or if the team prefers him to Ruuta waive Ruuta. If no one wants you for free, can't feel to bad about your current team recruiting over you. I'm fine with upgrading them both. If they one of them can beat out Thrun/Muk for the 6th D spot, then you only need to waive one.

I think going into the year with something like Carrier, Boqvist, Emberson, Benning is better than going in with the three currently on the roster. Benning played 14 games. Emberson was a waiver pick-up, played well, but then got hurt. Ruuta will be 34 when the season starts and if he plays well, will be gone at the deadline.

Aside from Walman, Vlasic is the only guy I think is a guarantee to be on the roster after the deadline, and that's because he's overpaid by $6.15M for the next two years. I wonder how Vlasic is in the room/as a mentor. Having a formerly elite (5 years ago) d-man in the room to give advice on stickchecking, positioning, may not be the worst thing for his final year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Walman-Benning
Ferraro-Emberson
Thrun-Rutta
Vlasic

I don't expect him to but if a handshake deal was made to also claim Trouba off waivers if they can't figure out a deal for him before his movement clause expires then adding Trouba would be a real life top 4 RD for our team. It makes a lot of sense to make that move since if Trouba can tolerate us for a season and a half, we can rent him to a contender at 50% and get real value for him in that regard too. I just don't think I'd claim both off waivers for nothing. I suppose it's possible that whatever the Rangers and Red Wings are trying to put together may have impacted our trade for Walman and our claim for Goodrow but who knows.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I WONDER if the benefit of taking Goodrow was the 2nd from Detriot? With Detriot taking Trouba for xxx. Seems like that makes some sense, at least to me that initially it was a 3 team deal, and because Barclay wouldnt waive, they broke it up.

Are you saying the future considerations was actually past considerations?

I dunno, it's just too big of a win for NYR. They shed $12m off their cap and give up nothing?

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Benning 14 games last year and has two years on his contract. Put him on waivers and he likely makes it through. Similarly you can't count on him being the same (let alone better) than what he showed two years ago.

Or if the team prefers him to Ruuta waive Ruuta. If no one wants you for free, can't feel to bad about your current team recruiting over you. I'm fine with upgrading them both. If they one of them can beat out Thrun/Muk for the 6th D spot, then you only need to waive one.

I think going into the year with something like Carrier, Boqvist, Emberson, Benning is better than going in with the three currently on the roster. Benning played 14 games. Emberson was a waiver pick-up, played well, but then got hurt. Ruuta will be 34 when the season starts and if he plays well, will be gone at the deadline.

Aside from Walman, Vlasic is the only guy I think is a guarantee to be on the roster after the deadline, and that's because he's overpaid by $6.15M for the next two years. I wonder how Vlasic is in the room/as a mentor. Having a formerly elite (5 years ago) d-man in the room to give advice on stickchecking, positioning, may not be the worst thing for his final year.
I’m with you on a lot of this, I just don’t know if Grier & Co. feel that same. Sometimes I’m a little lost on what they value. Moving on from Burroughs less than one year of signing him gives me some hope.

If the Sharks start next season with Carrier, Boqvist, and Emberson/Benning/Rutta as their opening night RD, that would be a win imo. At least something new and more interesting than last season.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I don't expect him to but if a handshake deal was made to also claim Trouba off waivers if they can't figure out a deal for him before his movement clause expires then adding Trouba would be a real life top 4 RD for our team. It makes a lot of sense to make that move since if Trouba can tolerate us for a season and a half, we can rent him to a contender at 50% and get real value for him in that regard too. I just don't think I'd claim both off waivers for nothing. I suppose it's possible that whatever the Rangers and Red Wings are trying to put together may have impacted our trade for Walman and our claim for Goodrow but who knows.
I’m all good with Trouba as a real life top 4 RD for the Sharks next year. I had spotlighted him as a potential target on here a month or so ago.

Not sure it all works out for him coming here, but he checks a lot of boxes (pun intended).

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I dunno, it's just too big of a win for NYR. They shed $12m off their cap and give up nothing?
If Detroit ends up fleecing the Rangers then a lot of this could make sense. Detroit moving Walman with a 2nd for nothing would require them also being able to dump someone like Copp or Holl where they get Trouba at a discount or something.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

Could be future considerations to not claim Trouba so Detroit has a chance to claim him.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
My attraction to Trouba is a longing for the old days of McLaren and Murray big hits. That intimidation factor will serve our team well. Whether he’s a dirty player or not I don’t really know. 30yrs old is still in his prime imo.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Brisebois refuses to budge on giving Stamkos a legacy contract despite winning two Cups with him.

Meanwhile Wilson handed out retirement contracts to a half dozen guys who never won us shit.

• Haha
Reactions: DG93

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay