Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
As a big hockey fantasy fan of Trouba, he doesn't get any PP time in New York, that's why his stats have gone down. When he was on the PP he had a lot better season + leadeship and physicality.
He hits, blocks, can rack up points, has leadership and is right handed... just what we need right now.
I know he has a bit of reputition of being dirty, but I would give him a try here since he would be our best defencemen by a ton.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What is the Sharks equivalent package for Sergechev? Bystedt, the same draft picks, and Bordeleau? Or is Bordeleau not quite good enough?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What is the Sharks equivalent package for Sergechev? Bystedt, the same draft picks, and Bordeleau? Or is Bordeleau not quite good enough?
Well, considering Arizona traded 27, 34 and 45 to move up for Conner, it would probably be Bysted, Havelid and Lund plus picks.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
As a big hockey fantasy fan of Trouba, he doesn't get any PP time in New York, that's why his stats have gone down. When he was on the PP he had a lot better season + leadeship and physicality.
He hits, blocks, can rack up points, has leadership and is right handed... just what we need right now.
I know he has a bit of reputition of being dirty, but I would give him a try here since he would be our best defencemen by a ton.
I thought before his injury mid-season, Trouba was playing as a solid 2nd pairing RD alongside Miller. While he was out, though, Schneider established himself unsurprisingly well in that role and then Trouba came back and never really looked back up to speed. It was a little surprising to me that the Rangers got as far as they did in the playoffs with that situation (as they then rotated the two between the 2nd and 3rd pairings).

Trouba is only 30, so I'd expect him to bounce-back to that 2nd pairing level. The money doesn't really matter for the Sharks for the next two seasons, so I think there's a decent argument to be made that Trouba would be a good addition even overpaid. He's a tough one, though, because I do think he's great in the room and the community, and he might be the best RD the Sharks could acquire this offseason, but I do understand how he's unappealing to some with his penchant for questionable/bad hits.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Can't imagine Trouba would be thrilled with SJ via waivers. If no one will take him, I'd love him, but based on the news of the press, can't imagine that would be a positive situation. Becomes our top d-man, and brings big right hand shot, size, and physicality.

Assuming he's out I think I like Carrier best. Walker, Roy, Pesce, and Montour will cost a fortune and will get term that takes them to 36+ at significant cap hits. Justin Schultz also would be okay a 1-2 year deal so we have a capable offensive first RHD.

On the buyout guys, Schmidt, Boqvist, or Brunnstrom may all be upgrades on the third pairing. Walman and Ferraro are 4/5, Ruuta is a 6 (who will likely play 2nd pair), Vlasic is a 7, Benning a 6/7 when healthy. Emberson is hopefully a 5 or better, but too soon to say. Think I'd be okay with something like:

Ferraro-Carrier
Walman-Ruuta
Schmidt-Boqvist/Schultz
Vlasic/Emberson (I'd carry 8).

Move out Ruuta, Schmidt and possibly Ferraro at the deadline. Muk and Thrun step in.

Still a pretty bad group, but at least all six would be NHL-caliber, and once the rookies do step in they'd be playing with NHL caliber D. Most importantly, we don't saddle ourselves with a $7.5M for 7 years for a guy who's a 3/4 right now, and will be a 5/6 in 3 years (or less).

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
As of right now, with 11 forwards, 4 defenseman, 1 goalie signed. We have an average age of 27 years.
Out of curiosity, are you not counting the players currently listed on IR?

The Sharks currently have two goalies under contract, Blackwood and Vanecek. Both have one year left on their current deals.

There are currently 5 under contract; Vlasic, Ferraro, Walman, Rutta, Benning.

And are you counting Couture for forwards?

Pass on Trouba, but claim Schmidt. :)
Personally I’d pass. Sharks already have a ton of mediocre LD. He would’ve made sense to bring in as part of a potential McG trade, but with Walman, Ferraro, Vlasic, Thrun, Muk, etc., he’s redundant imo.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
IN FACT, Grier should call the Jets now and tell them if they trade him McG on the cheap, he'll claim Schmidt to save them a buy out. Then we get McG cheap and Schmidt instantly improves our D. Win/win. Jets don't even need to know that we'd claim Schmidt anyways.

Out of curiosity, are you not counting the players currently listed on IR?

The Sharks currently have two goalies under contract, Blackwood and Vanecek. Both have one year left on their current deals.

There are currently 5 under contract; Vlasic, Ferraro, Walman, Rutta, Benning.

And are you counting Couture for forwards?

Personally I’d pass. Sharks already have a ton of mediocre LD. He would’ve made sense to bring in as part of a potential McG trade, but with Walman, Ferraro, Vlasic, Thrun, Muk, etc., he’s redundant imo.
I mean ideally as an unofficial part of a McG trade as I mentioned earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00